Silver Buckskin

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riverrose28

Reaction score
I'm always trying to learn about the many different coat colors in the mini horses. We once saw a mini mare that was silver buckskin, she looked like a pally with silver legs. Would some of you be so kind as to educate me on this beautiful color. How is it achieved, and pleas feel free to post pictures, I would be most interested if you could explain what color are the foals when born and any thing else you can explain would be most appreciated.

With the minis silver buckskin comes in many, many shades; from those that look palomino to those that look like my little stallion.

Silver buckskin is regular buckskin (bay plus cream) plus silver; silver and cream together affect how each is expressed.

We actually think my little stallion might be silver on brownskin (brown version of agouti rather than regular bay).

Anyway, here is Che`:

che` - aug 3, 2008 - front 3.jpg

Che` - July 27, 2009.jpg

Che` - July 22, 2010.jpg

2012 (haircut day):

Che` - May 19, 2012 - haircut.jpg

His color varies a bit, so thought I'd share pics from different years since I got him.

Edited to add, I did do some DNA color testing; we were certain he had silver, but didn't know what base due to his unusual coloration. I only tested for Agouti and cream, he tested Aa and nCr; so heterozygous for each.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have two silver buckskins and one smutty silver. We, too, love the color. I am going to post pictures of "FLIRT", because she went through some cool changes!!!

In chronological order:

Flirt%2006012006%20wet%201.jpg

FLIRTFACE%2006212003.jpg

Flirt%2007102006%204.jpg

Flirt%2008262006%203.jpg

Flirt%20--%202007%20VMHC%20Summer%20Classic%20--%20100%20Touched.jpg

Flirt%202.jpg

What I hope to illustrate is how her color changed. She looked either silver dapple or silver bay at one point.

This is very interesting, so the foals are not born a base color of black or red, but look more like a creme? Is that correct? thanks for the post you guys.

The strangest thing about Silver Buckskin is that it can start out really pale and end up, at maturity, as a visually "normal" Buckskin with black mane and tail- look at Buckeroo and Alvadars DD. The sire of my stallion, who is a Silver Bay Pintaloosa, is , visually, "just" a Buckskin. He is an Alvadars DD son therefore a grandson of Buckeroo.

My mare is a silver buckskin pinto. This was taken 10 days after her clip. I have a lot of compliments on her color. I love every variation of the buckskin colors. The silver gene will add bi-colored hooves or some say striped.

IMG_0063 - Copy.JPG

I forgot that I have baby and adult pictures of "MADDIE" as well, who is Flirt's color twin as an adult (see her behind Flirt in the prior post). She kinda looked palomino as a foal:

Baby%20Maddie%202%20400.jpg

Maddie%20062608%20155.jpg

Maddie%20011%20070208.jpg

See her dapples:

Maddie%20078%20070208.jpg

I tried to do a reply with pics the otehr day, hit a wrong button and it was gone w/ no way to retrieve it... Frustrating.

So, i try again:

I sold a colt that tested Ee, Aa, nCr, nZ. I purchased him at his dam's side at about 3 months of age - here he is at his first bath after arriving from Iowa in Sept 09:

09sep22kr591.jpg

Partial clip - 10 months old:

10apr10kr673.jpg

a yearling:

10jun13kr172.jpg

22 months:

11feb25kr376.jpg

Can't attach this one as it's a differnt file type, but you should be able to view it here!

https://picasaweb.google.com/103622225470430126127/EclipseAndKreature?noredirect=1#5753964055329722194 He's a 3 yr old in this photo... June 2012

**added** - I think we registered him as a palomino before I had him color tested. Doesn't really matter - since ASPC doens't recognize silver buckskins - only go on what the color looks like ("pali"). I did have his dam tested and she's homozygous for silver - so all of her foals carry a silver gene regardless of what color they show. This colt's sire is a cremello... I have his cremello 1/2 sister as well, our daughter is ready for us to breed her to our silver homozygous Tobi stallion, we'll see.

He is a gelding and my girlfriend is very much in love with him!

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried to do a reply with pics the otehr day, hit a wrong button and it was gone w/ no way to retrieve it... Frustrating.

I sold a colt that tested Ee, Aa, nCr, nZ.

22 months:

11feb25kr376.jpg
I have a mare that is similar in color to him, but she is silver bay dun (no cream - she tested EE, Aa, no cream); here's Tana:

As a foal:

tana - pic for color.jpg

More Recent (this pic was taken just hours before she foaled in 2012):

Tana - June 23, 2012 - with Dolly.jpg

I'm guessing with her its the dun and silver together that give her her unique coloring.

WOW! Thanks for all of the responses and the beautiful photo's. Such a beautiful color and all of you have awesome horses.

Chandab - I really like her! Now I need to work on learning how the dun gene(s) work...LOL

I forgot that I have baby and adult pictures of "MADDIE" as well, who is Flirt's color twin as an adult (see her behind Flirt in the prior post). She kinda looked palomino as a foal:

Baby%20Maddie%202%20400.jpg

Maddie%20062608%20155.jpg

Maddie%20011%20070208.jpg

See her dapples:

Maddie%20078%20070208.jpg
WOw..... I would have called that baby a palomino!
default_smile.png
) What a surprise !

YEP! I didn't know her back then, and I was surprised too when I saw her baby pictures ;yes

Latest posts

Back