Silver Bay VS Liver Chestnut

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I promise Rosebud is not bay ;) She is chestnut.

Melinda-Mars is definitely just 'red' with nothing else but appy going on. Rosalee was tested for red/black and silver (FWF Little Red Ranger was a silver carrier) and came back as silver neg and chestnut. I believe her roan and sabino genes gave her the 'off' color and Mars' appy gene gives her hers. Most of my chestnut mares are about the shade of your other mare. I use chestnut to describe any and all 'red' horses though so even my lighter mare with the flaxen mane and tail is called chestnut here.

Good to know! Plus if she were a silver carrier I think I would have more silver colored foals but her black based foals definitely do not display silver at all! As for sorrel vs. chestnut, I have found that it all depends on which breed in the "big horse" world that people came from, we started with Paints which recognize the sorrel and chestnut colors where other breeds only recognize chestnut.

And this is a terrible picture with mud and clutter everywhere, but here is Mars' dam:

Rosalee1.jpg

This is her coming out of winter so she is lighter. She was close to Mars' shade in summer. Mars was born a bright red chestnut and when we sold her at 3-4 years she was still a bright red chestnut, no appy
See it amazes me she isn't silver because to me she looks like a silver bay or at least something silver and Mars does look liver chestnut to me but also could possibly carry silver. Very funny.

Here's my silver bay. (genetically tested) When I purchased her a few years back the seller was certain she was chestnut but her darker points really gave it away. LOVE this mare - AMHR Halter Horse of the Year, Under 2009 & 2011 AMHA World Champion Senior Mare - all 30" of her! <3

Ellieribbon.jpg

Ok, I found a picture of her jumping and it shows her legs well. She has two hind socks and front coronets. (Her hooves have black polish on, if that affects anything.) This picture does her no justice when it comes to her head! I make it distorted when I blurred myself out.
unsure.gif

6483463647_b656db5769_z.jpg

Yes, she was definitely an interesting shade JMS! I loved that mare too. She has quite a few foals overseas and in Canada and lots of National Champion grandget. Way before her time. She gave us 9 foals I believe, 8 fillies and 1 colt. No silver
default_smile.png
Her mane and tail were always that salt and pepper color. We called her "grandma".

Ok, I found a picture of her jumping and it shows her legs well. She has two hind socks and front coronets. (Her hooves have black polish on, if that affects anything.) This picture does her no justice when it comes to her head! I make it distorted when I blurred myself out.
unsure.gif

6483463647_b656db5769_z.jpg
I would say silver bay.

JMS Miniatures said:
I would say silver bay.
How do you tell that she is a sliver bay and not a sorrel? Sorry for being so naive, I don't know much about color genetics as I don't breed, but I would love to learn more.

Silver carrying palomino mare...

HPIM4241.jpg

Her bay silver daughter...

HPIM4233.jpg

HPIM4165.jpg

And you'd think this colt out of the palomino mare is a bay silver, too...

HPIM3977.jpg

But nope, he's Ee AA nT nO- we think the AA accounts for the lighter black mane & tail.

Not the best pic of him, but full brother to the silver bay mare- smokey black...

wm.jpg

I think my shetland is a flaxen liver chestnut

This boy is registered as a silver bay but not to sure about that

And you'd think this colt out of the palomino mare is a bay silver, too...

HPIM3977.jpg

But nope, he's Ee AA nT nO- we think the AA accounts for the lighter black mane & tail.
That test result does not include a test for Silver. Black, Agouti, Tobiano, and Frame Overo. AA would have nothing to do with producing a lighter mane or tail.

How do you tell that she is a sliver bay and not a sorrel? Sorry for being so naive, I don't know much about color genetics as I don't breed, but I would love to learn more.
A sorrel/chestnut is usually uniformly red all over body, legs and head; unless something like sabino or true roan is affecting the color.

The legs on a silver bay will be darker (anywhere from just a hint of silver/grey to dark brown); your girls legs looker darker than her body.

Forgive me if I get things mixed up..... Here is what I think after quick look at these posts and please dont get angry with me...
default_unsure.png

Eagle- To me your mare looks like a bay. I couldnt see the Appy very good though as Im on a very small screen. I dont think I'd call her a wild bay because her black on legs seems that its pretty high up. Shse does seem to possibly have mealy/pangare modifier though. Check out second picture on this page http://www.theequine...ifiers/pangare/. Maybe or maybe not...

Jill- Love Destinys color wish I had one!

Eagle- I agree I think Your sons pony is sorrel and very handsome fellow!

Melinda- Mars Rosebud has me stumped... Shes very close to one of my mares that I will soon get tested. On Rosebud maybe its the Appy influence thats throwing me off, but if you had not said anything about that I'd have guessed she was a silver bay. She looks chestnut but the coloring of her mane and tail are different, and maybe its just the time of year or something but in some of the pictures her fetlocks seem really light??? You mentioned to someone that she is not a bay because her mane, tail and points were not black. But the silver gene changes that for the most part, and hers do seem different.. Like I said shes got me stumped!! Shes a pretty girl though!
default_yes.gif

Ohmt- Wow I see where Rosebud gets her looks! Once again this is the coloring that has got me soooooo confused just like her daughter. If you guys ever decide to get either of these girls tested I would REALLY love to hear the results! I am looking for any like this color (or Rosebuds) that has been tested and the results have been chestnut with no silver.

RescueMini- I think silver bay. Her front lower legs seem to have that grey look to them. Are her lower legs a different color than the rest of her? A little darker? Maybe kinda grey even?

FrostHillFarm- Yep this is what I keep coming across! I've had four now that were colored very close to yours and some closer to Rosebud and her dam that everyone tells me are chestnuts, but the results keep coming in like yours!
default_wacko.png

Kuusou- WOW
default_new_shocked.gif
Interesting color!!

Once again I am not trying to cause a stir just looking for someone who has had these horses tested and has gotten a result of chestnut, with or without silver.

LOL took me so long to write that I missed two more posts!
default_laugh.png

Last edited by a moderator:
A sorrel/chestnut is usually uniformly red all over body, legs and head; unless something like sabino or true roan is affecting the color.

The legs on a silver bay will be darker (anywhere from just a hint of silver/grey to dark brown); your girls legs looker darker than her body.
That and also the base of her mane is darker.

JMS Miniatures said:
That and also the base of her mane is darker.
Ok, that makes a lot of sense now.
yes.gif
I never would have guessed, but now that I think about it, when I clip her bridle path it is dark grey. I guess you do learn something new every day!
laugh.gif

As a side note, I looked at some more pictures of her legs and some were a shade darker and others were the exact same color.
wacko.gif
Talk about confusing me! And there is no way I can go out and check her because she has has her winter coat. XD I guess I never really bothered to look to see if her legs were any darker, I was always just concerned that they were clean and that her socks were white!

Last edited by a moderator:
JAX-the mare I pictured (Rosebud's dam) has been tested as chestnut with no silver
default_smile.png
We tested her because we had no idea what color she was. She is a roan with sabino which I believe gives her that off color. Rosebud was not always that dark color, not until her appy started to show I'm guessing. Rosebud's sire was a black snowcap so she can not be a silver carrier. I don't think i've ever seen a silver bay look like her anyway.

They're interesting aren't they?

ohmt

Wow Thanks! Yours is the first I've come across then. Still interested to see others out there as well. Sorry to say I dont know much about how Roan and/or Sabino affects the coat color. If I ever figure out how to correctly size a photo for posting then I will have more questions for Roan and Sabino coloring experts too. I find color and pattern genetics very fun! Just want to learn more.
default_yes.gif

Ok, I did find some pictures of her this summer at a show. In most of them her front legs from the knees down were slightly darker as well as from her hocks to her socks. So she probably would be a silver bay then?

Latest posts

Back