Quantcast

Silver Bay questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

kayla221444

Reaction score
I had a filly born this year in april. Her dam was a silver dapple tovero and her sire was a chestnut/sorrel tobiano. They filly came out solid bay. So I was wondering would she be a silver bay, because her mom has only produced foals with silver dilution. Is there any type of silver test to take to determine it? But I see alot of silver bay foals and they dont look like the color of my gal. Shes more dark bay with a darker brown/black tail and mane, or will that change as she ages, because my silver buckskin mare was born with black m/t and then it changed to what silver bays manes and tails look like. I will post pics when I get home but to me she looks like just any regular bay...but her mom has the silver gene.

Meavey

Reaction score
Mine is silver bay.

But if you want to know the difference between a chestnut and a silver bay you test for black.

For the difference between bay and silver bay, for silver.

But normal bays have black mane and tail en silver-bays white greyish mane and tail.

jjnov

Reaction score
Mine is silver bay.

But if you want to know the difference between a chestnut and a silver bay you test for black.

For the difference between bay and silver bay, for silver.

But normal bays have black mane and tail en silver-bays white greyish mane and tail.
My colt looks just like yours but with a darker back. He is a double bred Rowdy colt, and he is VERY small, I dont expect him to go over 30" and he may be staying, havent decided yet.

Is there by any chance does anybody have a older Silver Bay picture? Like a 3-4 yr old.

Minimor

Reaction score
Is there by any chance does anybody have a older Silver Bay picture? Like a 3-4 yr old.
Here is one, a wet silver bay! We were out playing in the rain & took a photo, wet & all. I think she was coming 3 in this photo:

This was the same horse as a foal:

And as a yearling:

This mare is a bit older than 4 here & still in some winter fuzzies, but...

And this is another shade of silver bay:

I have another filly, 2 years old now, that is more of a dark golden brown shade of silver bay, but I don't have any recent photos of her to show. I absolutely love her coloring.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts