Silly Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaintNminis

Reaction score
Just thought I would ask *lol* even though that may seem like Forever but in reality thats only NEXT YEAR!!

I don't have any of mine Picked out :DOH!

it all depends on how it all goes this Year etc.

Anyone?

I have.

My feelings is that I will breed none of my mares for 2010.

The reason is this: A mare that I had been going to leave open for 2009 ended up being bred due to a hard-to-resist and possibly once in a lifetime offer. I bred her after having decided not to for 2009.

I want to have the space and the time to get my current foal crop well-grown, trained and promoted before feeling like I have to shove them out the door at low prices.

One of the yearlings I have right now is also a gelding, and even though he is a "winner" at shows as a weanling stallion AND gelding (Reserve 2007 All-Star in AMHR), nobody wants to buy a baby gelding. I figure I will have to hold onto him until he's 3-4 years old and well-broke to drive. He is more of a CDE competitor than a breed ring competitor, though he should do very well at things like obstacle, jumping and the like. My point is that I owe it to the horses already on the ground and "in the oven" to make sure I do not run out of space by making plans for 2010, not with the market the way it is, and fuel costs driving the costs of everything horse-related to the moon.

My farm slogan has always been quality over quantity, and that is coming to mean some years off, even though my biggest foal crop ever was only three. I usually do one or two foals per year, and I can't sell those at a satisfying rate to ensure the space necessary for two years' distant.
default_smile.png

This is just my opinion and if for some reason I sold two or three of the young stock in 2009, I might breed my black mare, but that's a pretty big if. I may just pool my stud fee resources and shop around for a nice breeding opportunity.

Liz M.

At this point, I am also planning zero. My last planned foal was born in 2004. I did have 2 in 2005 and 1 in 2006 from accidental breedings but no longer have a stallion and have better fencing so don't have to worry about that. I love having foals but at this time I don't have any mares I am certain should be bred and don't really want the responsibility of bringing another horse into this world.

Miss Fashion will be having a foal in 2010
default_wub.png

Think Ive got my dream horse lined up for her.

So excited
default_biggrin.png

I'm breeding Tigger, Gracie, and Lacie for sure, MAYBE Miss Priss too. I have my eye on specific stallions for each, ones I think will complement them the most (balance out their weak points), but I'm not sharing who they are yet. Just know they're AWESOME!!!!!!!!
default_yes.gif

Kari

That is not a silly question at all!!!! I'd been planning the 2008 babies since 2005!!! And, oh yes, I have been thinking about the 2010 already, and actually 2011 too when I will be able to breed my 2007 Big City perlino filly... Excited for what it all could bring!

This is what I'm thinking about in terms of 2010 foals, which could change up some as some will be repeats of what we'll see on the ground in 2009 so will be room to tweak:

Destiny%20Foals.jpg
- [SIZE=14pt]X[/SIZE] -
Flirt.jpg

Ericas Echos of My Destiny -and- Harrells Flirting With Perfection

Destiny%20Foals.jpg
- [SIZE=14pt]X[/SIZE] -
Sweetie%20Foals.jpg

Ericas Echos of My Destiny -and- Ericas Sweet as Sugar

(same cross is planned for 2009)

Destiny%20Foals.jpg
- [SIZE=14pt]X[/SIZE] -
Khaki.jpg

Ericas Echos of My Destiny -and- Triple H Buckin Khaki

Destiny%20Foals.jpg
- [SIZE=14pt]X[/SIZE] -
Maddie%20--%20Foals.jpg

Ericas Echos of My Destiny -and- Wee Equine Acres Dun Sweet

DunIT-Foals.jpg
- [SIZE=14pt]X[/SIZE] -
HOPE%202007%20VMHC%20Summer%20Classic%20--%20037%20FOALS.jpg

Ericas Gone and DunIT -and- Harrells Rowdys Reflection of Hope

(same cross as 2008, repeat planned for both 2009 & 2010)

DunIT-Foals.jpg
- [SIZE=14pt]X[/SIZE] -
Lou.jpg

Ericas Gone and DunIT -and- Edgewood Skip To My Lou

(same cross as 2008, repeat planned for both 2009 & 2010)

DunIT-Foals.jpg
- [SIZE=14pt]X[/SIZE] -
Double%20Foals.jpg

Ericas Gone and DunIT -and- Ericas Double Dipped

(if we do this one, will be "double bred Bandito")

Last edited by a moderator:
YES!! I've been planning them since I bought this guy as a weanling last year.
default_laugh.png

:love CCMF Carousel Carnival, aka Carnival
default_wub.png

Carnival2.5-10-08.jpg

I think he will get two mares next year as a two-year old.

Spring

Sprg.hd.gl.wb.7-04.jpg

Almost Heavens Frosty Chip

AlmostHeavensFrostyChip.jpg

Yup!

Ravenwood Medalions Royalty (have I mentioned him yet? LOL)

royaltymain.jpg

Bane's Egyptian King's Frosty

DSCF0023-1.jpg

I'm wishing for a refined, gorgeous silver bucksin or silver bay. Don't really care about the sex.

I have thought about it, won't put pictures as I just have to many.

Goat Hills One For The Books(33"-A/R) will breed the following mares:

Minni Spark Black Blinker No5(35"-R)

Cherokee Stables Ohso Dandy(36.5"-R)

Sweetwaters Little Carmelita(34"-A/R)

Leaning Pines Harlequin Romance(33.75"-R)

Benviews Special Dawn(34'-R)

Cross Country New Kid In Town(around 31"-A/R) will breed the following mares:

Risquefishers Winter Sky(around 32"-R)

Benview Christina(34"-R)

Unquestionably Cute Jypsy Rose SPH(will be probably 30"-A/R)

Timberyork's Inquisitive Embrace(will be probably 32"-R)

Sharptails Peanut Butter(33.5"-A/R)

This may vary if I buy more mares or change my mind between now and then.
default_wink.png
I put the heights of the horses as well, some I have yet to measure for permanent papers and other are only 2 this year. I also put if they are R or A/R registered.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've also thought about it, gotta plan ahead!
default_smile.png

This year the stallion we've leased will be breeding most of the mares that are being bred, so next year my senior stallion CCMF Spotted Illusion (who will only be five years old then, lol) will get to breed the majority of the mares that will be bred. I LOVE his foals. Also, my now-two-year-old colt (Erica's Streakin For Bucks) will begin breeding next year and get two or three mares. This year he is showing and needs to try to keep his mind on the show ring instead of mares-- yeah, good luck, lol! I haven't decided for sure which mares will be left open and which ones bred yet, will have to wait and see.

Latest posts

Back