Sickle Hock vs Cow Hock

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sherry

Reaction score
What exactly is Sickle Hock? Sickle Hock vs Cow Hock? Can someone please post some pics as well?

Thanks,

Sherry

This is an easy one to see. It's all about drawing lines thru a horses limb. Here are some diagrams that explains way more than words can accomplish. These diagrams are in every judging seminar and school I have ever attended.

I urge EVERYONE to copy this and study it and keep it for future reference. There are so many people that are buying such poor legged horses out there.

If minis were actually ridden people would pay much closer attention to limbs and feet. One of the worst feelings is trying to ride a horse that is "camped out" behind. There is NO WAY that horse can get up underneath himself to collect and do his job. The same goes for a "post legged" (to straight) horse. If you were to ride one of those it would take your teeth out. I could go on and on with examples how "FORM FOLLOWS FUNCTION"

ref6.jpg

ref7.jpg

ref8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=14pt]Carol that is a real mild looking cow hocks description! I have seen much worse in MANY minis ....even ones being shown.... sad isnt it. Another way to describe sickle hocks is to imagine what a sickle or sythe looks like from the side and look at the horse from the side it looks more like a ) .[/SIZE]

Lyn

That it is Lyn but cowhocked non the less. I see horses like this being called perfectly straight all the time. So many people are just clueless and I hope it helps.

In defense of that picture, since I am very perfomance oriented I would prefer that my performance horses be a little on the cowhocked side. I am speaking Arabian here......not mini. Just a little..........

Here is a more severe case

Rear1.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
OOOOOHHHH yeah, I've got an example of that alright! Kody's hind end is an interesting combination of cow hocks (severe, but not rubbing), overangulation and camped out. Possibly a touch of sickle hock as well? I'm just beginning to figure out how they all combine though as in the end he's a lovely mover.

Horses who are camped out have trouble getting their hind legs under them far enough to properly carry the weight of their forehands and truly collect. On the other hand, the overangulation through Kody's rump means he can really flex his pelvis and get his legs under himself anyway. And cowhocks means he has an easy time rolling his stifles out to clear his ribcage and also helps him move under himself. The possible touch of sickle hocks also means his feet are under him better than you'd expect and it's so mild it doesn't result in weakness there.

Until I can look for some pictures that really show his problems, here are a couple that show him in a good light. Please excuse the shoulder lines, that was from the other thread.

Kody.jpg

Here is one of Kody driving from before we purchased him.

P6190534.jpg

Leia

Thanks so much guys for the info. I know how to make sure minis have straight legs & can look at all of them & tell if they are correct or not, I just didn't have the terminology to break it all down. I would just lump it all in together as "bad legs". Now I am more educated as to the actual terminology & the differences & can say them correctly. Cow hock I knew but I had heard the term sickle hock some but was just told it was another version of cow hock (bad legs). Trying to really get the fine art down on explaining better myself.

Again, thanks to all that responded.
yes.gif
aktion033.gif

Sherry

Also, Sherry, sickle hock is something you can easily see from the profile view of the horse, and cow hocked is something you can easily see from the rear view of the horse.

Does sickle hock affect them when they run. They kind of do more bouncing up and down than going forward? Or is that caused by something else. Their legs just don't seam to be moving forward vary much.

Deb

Back