Sick stallion....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maplegum

Reaction score
Her stallion is 12 years old, usually healthy.

Today he is off his feed and keeps kicking his legs up towards his tummy. He is also swishing his tail. He seems to have dropped a bit of weight over the last few days.

He isn't rolling in the way that you would see with colic, but he is laying down quite a bit.

He is sensitive to touch around his tummy, towards the rear.

I suggested that perhaps he may have a 'bean' formed an could be causing problems as he has been letting his penis hang out more than normal.

I gave it a clean and found a tiny bean and some gunky stuff up there.

Now I'm not so sure it was a bean issue after all. Well, he got a good clean out and everyone was laughing at me and the men couldn't watch!

Any ideas on what could be going on with this stallion?

I thought I'd ask.

When in doubt contact your vet.

First thing that comes to mind is colic, but you might also discuss ulcers with your vet.

Upto date on deworming?

I ditto all of what Chandra listed to have checked by a vet.

I would also check for dehydration - which you can do with the pinch test to see if his skin "tents" or not.

I am sorry but just feel this has to be said. WHY do folks NOT call a vet when an animal is obviously having problems?

Folks the internet is a wonderful place to get information BUT IT SHOULD NOT TAKE THE PLACE OF A VET!!!

Like everyone has suggested, YOUR FRIEND SHOULD CALL A VET. NOW!!

OK rant over, and off my soapbox.

A horse does not have to be rolling and or thrashing to have a horrible impaction. Some horses are much more stoic and will just lay down a lot without rolling.

Any time a horse is laying down more often then usual especially along with signs like kicking at belly or looking uncomfortable it is cause for concern. For me concern means a phone call at least to the vet to discuss what I intend to do for treatment and if it goes with what they feel is best.

I have had colic cases where the horse was not rolling-just standing parked out like a Modern shetland and this was not normal for this horse.Please have your friend call her vet.If you catch a colic in the early stages you can often avoid serious problems and save some money and many times even the life of the horse.good luck and keep us posted

The horse is fine today.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back