Sick, sick...still sick!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laura

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]OK, so we got home from Texas LAST Monday. Steve was at home and was sick...had been for a few days. Zac and I were sick within 2 days. Zac was vomiting over and over...mine is respiratory (as is Steve's). Mia is STILL well thank goodness! I finally went to the Doctor last Friday. Zac had been vomiting since Tuesday, but the Doc's office had said not to give him aything for the vomiting, just to try to keep him hydrated. I am SO glad he's still nursing!!![/SIZE]

At the Doc's we were diagnosed with Adenovirus, which I guess can take many forms, including respiratory or GI. Since I'm an athsmatic, he prescribed anitbiotics just in case I got more sick over the weekend (viruses tend to go right into bronchitis with me). Poor Zac had dropped from 27 lbs to 22.5 ls!!! BUT, he was very well hydrated (Doc was surprised), but not wanting to eat had really affected him. The Doc said to offer him whatever he wants to eat and nurse, nurse, nurse. I started the Z-pack on Saturday. Zac was down to vomiting only once a day (including ALL over himself and his carseat yesterday-poor baby) Sunday & Monday and it looks this AM like his appetite is starting to come back a bit. Hopefully, he is on the mend.

I however, am sicker than I ever remember being
default_no.gif
I'm going back to the Doc this afternoon. I'm using my rescue inhaler several times a day. I usually only use it once a MONTH! My coughing spasms are pretty uncontrollable (Mucinex during the day/cough med. at night). Once I get started I double over and just can't stop. My nose is raw from blowing and my head's about to explode...ugh!! Zac was bouncing all over the bed last night at bedtime and I literally didn't feel like I could move...I did when he tried to leap over me though
default_wacko.png
I'm so glad he's feeling better.

Okay, my pity party is over. I just feel like CACA! Any others out there with experience with this bug from hades?

Oh man you poor things!!!! I remembr a couple of years back when I had Pharyngitis. Like Laryngitis but an infection of the Pharynx...that was PAINFUL!!!! I croaked when I talked, could not eat my throat hurt so bad, and hardly could sleep. I finally ended up falling asleep thru sheer exhaustion. Ice cream was the only thing I could even stomach or tolerate. I hope you guys get to feeling 100% real soon. Does not sound like something nice to have.
default_no.gif

Aww, Laura, I'm so sorry you're feeling awful. That is painful to read, knowing how busy you are, and how those little ones demand your time.

I've never been quite that sick for that long, so I feel lucky, but hope you can manage to get well, soon. Now I'm worried and sure don't want to read that you ended up in the hospital, but if that's where you need to be!!!!

Take care, and update us when you can. I will be sending healthy thoughts your way.

So glad Zac's doing better, that is scary when the littlest ones are sick, and hope Mia stays strong.

Liz

Oh Laura, I am sorry that you all have been sick. Good to hear that little Zac is feeling better.

I hope that you start feeling better real soon. Take care of yourself.

Debbie

Laura, I'm sorry to hear you have it. We had it go thru our family about a month ago. It was the sickest I've ever been in my life. I missed 4 days of work - should have been 5 but everyone was crying for paychecks - I could have cared less. My husband didn't have the vomiting part, my son and I did. We couldn't even keep down Sprite. We were miserable. What made me feel worse was that our son was over it in 3 days, not me! After 3 doctor appts (almost turned into pneumonia) it took about 3 weeks to FINALLY feel completely normal. My doctor said the kids seem to get over it quicker and the adults could take 4-6 weeks!
default_new_shocked.gif

Hope you feel better soon.

Janis

Good heavens Laura, your poor sick family is under seige!!!!!!!! OUCH mama..... freeze some 7 up in ice cube trays for Zac. They won't freeze solid and will actually be more of a slushy texture then let him have at it in a dish with a spoon. Also offer him some ginger ale to drink. Ginger ale is great. The Ginger in it is good for this, and YOU also drink it. Jello is another plus. Don't get the sugar free....get regular. Saltines also is good for this. Hope you guys recover soon!

[SIZE=12pt]Thanks everyone. Zac is officially almost 100%. He started EATING again yesterday and is is back to about 1/2 of his normally HUGE appetite. He and Mia were romping all over the house last night finally. [/SIZE]

The Doc LOADED me up on steriod inhalers, oral steriods (I should be buzzing around the house in a few hours-ugh) and more antibiotics. I don't have pnuemonia, but my normally mild athsma has decided to rear it's ugly head and really complicate things.

Even after just the Advair yesterday, I was already coughing less, but last night was BAD. I had considered NOT doing the oral steroids, but after last night there was no choice. And what is it with MEN and selective hearing? I was hacking up a lung half of the night and this morning he said he remembered hearing me cough ONCE-aaarrrgggh! It must be genetic because Zac (we co-sleep) slept through most of it too
default_rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Heres another hokey fix.

Vicks vaporub on your FEET put socks on after you rub it on do it before you go to bed. I have 2 or 3 friends that have tried it and it worked for them. I've not had a cough since I've heard of this and really don't want one either. Let me know if it works.

my whole family is getting it too. it is horrible. I feel so bad and here I have new foals and mares foaling to take care of. My head is killing me! Hubby got it and for the first time I have known him called in sick for 3 days to work. This is a bad one

my whole family is getting it too. it is horrible. I feel so bad and here I have new foals and mares foaling to take care of. My head is killing me! Hubby got it and for the first time I have known him called in sick for 3 days to work. This is a bad one
[SIZE=12pt]Oh no Kay! I didn't send it to you by E-mail, pinkie swear! It is a BAD, BAD, BAD bug!
default_thumbdown.gif
[/SIZE]

If it is Adenovirus, here's a good site for information Kids' Health-Adenovirus

Latest posts

Back