Sick mini foal!! UPDATED WITH PICS

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cretahillsgal

Reaction score
I have a 4 month old filly that has apparently been bitten by something on the nose. I am assuming it was a rattlesnake as we have them here and have been seeing them regularly for the past week. Last night she was perfectly normal when I went inside about 10PM. This morning at 6AM her nose was swollen up to double the normal size and she seems to be having trouble breathing. I know it has to be painful!

The vet is on her way out to work on her, but was just wondering if anyone else has had any experience with horses and rattlesnake bites.
default_ohnoes.jpg
default_ohnoes.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OH NO! I hope she does ok. Let us know what the Vet can do!

Hi

So glad you called the VET, this is important to have them there! I hope your filly will be just fine. We have not seen any snakes (YET), but have seen where they have shed their skin. Rattlers that is.

Good luck,

Beth

Poor baby! We had a dog that got bit by a Rattle Snake on the jaw. His head swelled up 2x's its size and the poisoned part rotted out. This happened when we were out of town. He was fine afterwards. I know a horse is much different especially it being on her nose. I am glad you have called your vet and I hope all will be well. Where I am now I have only seed 1 snake in the past 10 years and it was not a Rattler and it had gotten run over and was dead. I guess we are lucky here.

Yes I have. The most important thing was tubing her to protect her airway. We had to use aquarium tubing for it to work. It went up into Mercedes eyes and caused some bleeding. Just keep treating the symptoms. Be prepared for it to get horrible looking but it can be worked with and get better. We had 2 bitten at the same time and didn't realize it until we got home from the vet with the one that was treated.
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
for your little one.

Please let us know how she is doing and what the vet says.

Edited to add

Went out to feed this am and found a baby snake under the long feeder. Not sure what kind it was but it is now dead! We have had so much rain the past

few weeks that they are coming out. Again good thoughts coming for your filly.

I have had two small equine bitten on the nose by rattlers over my years here. You did right to get the vet to come; in the meantime, if the swelling is threatening her ability to breathe, you might want to try cutting a short-- 3-4", probably-length of garden hose, and gently inserting it into one nostril just far enough to hold a breathing 'passage' open. It won't hurt for it to 'project' out of her nostril a short ways; the swelling will hold it in place, and it will just 'fall out' when the swelling goes down and it is not longer needed. You might use a little bit of vaseline or similar on the end you place into the nostril, for lubrication. Even the right size of syringe cover, cut so it is open at both ends, can work. Be sure it is not TOO large in diameter, but will allow a sufficient volume of air to pass.

Antivenin is very helpful, but VERY expensive, and only works if administered fairly soon after the event. One of mine was discovered that soon, treated w/ antivenin(years ago, when it was relatively way less costly!), and had a very uneventful recovery. The other was not found until a longer time after the bite, had to have her nostril kept open(see above), and was treated w/ antibiotics (seems snake mouths are filthy!)

Best of luck for the filly; with a vet's involvement, I'm sure she'll be fine!

Margo

I sure hope you foal is feeling better soon. Let us know how the vet appointment goes and how your baby is doing.

I hope your filly is doing okay!
default_new_shocked.gif
You've had a good suggestion regarding opening the airway. Supportive care is what she'll need. I pray she recovers fully for you.
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif

OK. I am back. And Stormy, my filly, is still doing pretty well.

The vet gave her banamine (for pain), an antihistamine (for swelling), an antibiotic and another shot of something that I can't remember what it was.
default_wacko.png
I have to treat her 2X a day with the antibiotic for at least 5 more days and the injectible banamine tonight and tomorrow. She is still perky and tries to eat but can't. She is still drinking good so that is a plus. If she stops drinking then I will have to get the vet to IV her. Oh and I have to watch for founder. The vet said that the toxins in the body can cause founder as well.

She looks AWFUL! And sounds just as bad! You can hear her trying to breathe accross the yard. I will keep the tubing in mind if I think that she is not getting enough air. Her respiration rate is still okay, just noisy.

I will try to remember to take pics of her tonight. Thay way you will know a snake bite if you ever have a horse bitten by one. It has been so hectic around here today that I didn't even think getting out the camera.

Oh So sorry to hear your baby got bit.
default_sad.png

I had a mare get bit 2 times at the same time right on the nose and its not pretty. She ended up loosing her baby.
default_sad.png

I have all the pictures on my web if you want to see what its all about.

When it starts to drain it will look horrible.

You might want to look for and kill all the rattlers that you can find so others won't get bit too. Horses are so nosy that they will stick their nose right in the face of a snake as they just don't know the dangers.
default_sad.png

Sending prayers your way for your baby.

Snake bite

Joyce

Checked out your pics Joyce! That draining looks awful! But I would rather it drain out than for all that junk to be sitting under the skin! My vet did tell me that it would look worse before it got better. But she thinks that Stormy will make it as she is still drinking and alert about 8 hours since I found her like this this morning.

Right now I just want to cry looking at her. Her muzzle is the same width as her forehead and she looks so pitiful!

Oh and we have been killing rattlers left and right. Killed a 6 footer on Wednesday night and another 4 footer on Thursday. Both in our driveway. I like the big ones better as they are easier to see and hear!

That is terrible, Julie! I know what you are going through. I had a yearling bitten on the eye a few years ago. The drainage was totally disgusting. I hydroed the area 3 times a day for two days then twice a day for about a week. Also did antibiotic and banamine. The vet also gave him something to keep the blood vessels from collapsing--maybe it is what your vet gave; it was in the vein. He was eating and drinking the next day, but it was about 10 days before he drug the straw broom out of the barn and tore it up--then I knew he was going to be fine.

Can you keep her seperate from boistrous playfellows for a few days?

After that, we made a snake bite kit. I got aquarium tubing and keep paste banamine on hand for the swelling and pain.

Good luck!

Thanks Marsha! I am going to need all the luck I can get. Of course all of this happens while hubby is gone on his two week shift. I have also killed another opossum and have been after a skunk under the barn for the past two nights. Picture me running around the yard in my nightgown carrying a spotlight & shotgun, the kids screaming "get em!" from the house and the horses looking at me like I've lost my mind!
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_shocked.gif
All these varmints are going to get the best of me eventually!
default_wacko.png

Glad she is doing well!

So sorry your little filly was bitten! I looked on your site, she is such a pretty filly! I pray she will heal quickly!
default_pray.gif

I have never experienced a snake bite. I visited Joyce's webpage, excellent pictures and info!!

I am so glad to hear the news of your filly and that she is doing better!

Southern Heart, so glad you mare survived her ordeal with the snake bite and glad she was able to foal this year for you. So sorry about her baby.

Beth

Latest posts

Back