Sick mini foal!! UPDATED WITH PICS

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poor little girl!! I sure hope she recovers quickly. You have my utmost respect for being out there at night with the flashlight and shotgun. God Bless you!!! Good for a laugh. Hugs for your filly!!

I feel so badly your foal got bitten, and I can imagine how sick you've been over it. And of course, the horses will always get bitten on the nose as that's what they're always sticking into business which isn't their's!

Here in Wisconsin we have Timber rattlers and they can get extremely large. Every other month or so there's a pic of one in the paper that someone shot in his driveway or in the woods or ran over, but in the 37 years I've lived here, with the woods just 30 feet out my back door, I've never seen one, and i'm in the woods almost as much as I'm in my house! I can't imagine what it would be like seeing them every week!

Joyce, those were very wonderful and informative pictures, albeit my heart was breaking looking at that swelling. It must have hurt like crazy!

I remember being out west at Reptile Gardens and seeing photos of people who'd been bitten by rattlers, and the skin looked almost necrotic. Joyce, your horse looked swollen and bad, but the skin never looked compromised. I wonder why human skin was in such bad shape but the horse skin seems to survive the bite better?

Sounds like your filly is handling it well, hope she will pull through this just fine. I saw one last year who did not make it - he was the worst I've ever seen, head hugely swollen and hardly able to breathe. The vet did use syringe covers to keep his airway open, but he was just too overwhelmed by it. I think they decided it was a young snake - apparently the baby rattlers are especially bad, as they don't control the amount of venom they inject.

Jan

Oh Julie, so sorry for your baby girl. I don't know what I would do if I saw rattlers that often
default_new_shocked.gif
. I don't want to jinks myself but all I ever see are the black snakes, we have a pair in our storage building. My husband will not go in there LOL, I told him they are only bad news for the mice. I do make a lot of noise when I go in there, I prefer not to come across them. I have been brush hogging for a week, battling the sun flowers (weeds) and trying to keep it mowed down because of varmints and snakes. But rattle snakes they like rocks, I don't know how you stand it!

Prayers for a fast recovery for your little filly.

don't want to jinks myself but all I ever see are the black snakes, we have a pair in our storage building. My husband will not go in there LOL, I told him they are only bad news for the mice. I do make a lot of noise when I go in there, I prefer not to come across them. I have been brush hogging for a week, battling the sun flowers (weeds) and trying to keep it mowed down because of varmints and snakes. But rattle snakes they like rocks, I don't know how you stand it!
I have always heard black snakes keep the rattlesnakes away. That they are good to have around.

Yes, my little mare was bitten about 2 years ago. She was very sick and it did take quite a while to get her right again. Her little nose was 3 times the normal size. She could hardly eat because she could not open her mouth very well. The vet gave her stuff for swelling, I dont even remember what all. We had to give her meds for quite a while and even after the swelling went down she collicked. So it was a long road, but she is all better now and hopefully going to foal in the spring. Good luck to you!!!

OH NO Julie! I'm so sorry Stormy got bit!
default_new_shocked.gif

Poor baby!! Give her a hug for me.

You're doing a good job hunting down the critters!

don't want to jinks myself but all I ever see are the black snakes, we have a pair in our storage building. My husband will not go in there LOL, I told him they are only bad news for the mice. I do make a lot of noise when I go in there, I prefer not to come across them. I have been brush hogging for a week, battling the sun flowers (weeds) and trying to keep it mowed down because of varmints and snakes. But rattle snakes they like rocks, I don't know how you stand it!
I have always heard black snakes keep the rattlesnakes away. That they are good to have around.

Julie, how is your filly this morning? Maybe I should try to trap some of my black snakes for you, the ones in the shed are a mating pair. On my other computer I have a picture of them mating. My hubby couldn't believe I stood there taking pictures LOL The one that did it for him was the picture of them going back into the shed :DOH!

I hope she is doing ok this morning...just keep remembering will look worst b4 it looks better.

How is your little filly today? I am hoping for good news!

Beth

Sorry for not posting an update yesterday! It was a hectic day at work and I wanted to post some pics too!

Stormy is doing better today. She is able to close her mouth enough that she can chew her food. Surprisingly she has never lost her appetite and is still eating good. I gave her Banamine yesterday morning along with her antibiotics, and will have to give her the antibiotics for 3 more days. We never did find the snake that got her. Have shot a few in the last week, but they were all before she was bit. On a good note, I did finally get my skunk yesterday.
default_rolleyes.gif

Here is a pic of my little girl before the bite:

stormy25.jpg

Here is the day after the bite. This was when she could not close her mouth all the way.

stormy27.jpg

stormy29.jpg

She is doing even better now. The swelling in her lips has gone down a little and she can now move them enough to help her eat. Before she had to just stick her toungue out and get the feed with it like an anteater.

Oh, and I can see now where the snake got her... It is on the underside of her bottom lip. It is oozing a little, but nothing like what Joyce has on her website.

The poor little sweetie! :DOH!

I've been thinking about her. Give her a hug for me!

Hi

Thank you for the update. You are VERY lucky...........I hope she continues to improve for you?

Beth

That poor little baby! Lucky, but poor thing. If her little nose wasn't in such bad shape I'd give her a little kiss on it.
default_wub.png

Bless her little heart, thank you for the update and pictures. I'm glad it's not as bad as I had pictured...still bad but it at least looks like her nostrils are open and she look alert.

I am so glad she is better! She really was swollen up!

I am so glad she is better! She really was swollen up!

sorry dbl post

Last edited by a moderator:
Back