Sick horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wantminimore

Reaction score
First off, I have called the vet and i'm waiting to hear back from her.

I went out to feed this morning and I had a mare down. There were about 5 cow patty piles of poo in her stall and she's not eating. I took her out, cleaned her stall, put her back and the poo ran out of her like water. Since about an hour ago there's 2 piles/wet spots. When I leave her for a few minutes she lays down, I can get her back up easily. I've given her some molasses water and now she's down again. She's not rolling but laying flat out. It doesn't seem like colic.

Any thoughts?

sorry I cant help you but just wanted to say that not all colics show by rolling and pawing the ground , one of my stallions just stands there and as it gets worse he lays flat , makes it very easy to miss the signs , his son did exactly the same a few weeks ago and his new owner didnt realise anything was wrong until it was too late , he died of a twisted gut

hope your mare is soon on the mend

Sending well wishes for your mare. I sure hope the vet gets there quickly and that she'll be OK.
default_pray.gif

Do you have biosponge? How about getting some electrolytes in her I am glad you called the vet. Good luck.

Barb

What is biosponge?

She's up and eating a little hay, she's peed but I don't see any new poo piles. She has been looking back at her belly, i'm wondering if I should give her gas-x, not sure because of her having the runs earlier. Still no word from my vet that I called 3 hrs. ago, i'm not impressed.

Thanks for the replies.

BioSponge (<--- link) is a clay type natural thing that you can give for diarrhea. It can work very well. Probiotics (paste form) are also helpful for it, being sure to dose about 1/2 a tube because even though minis are small, you want enough good bacteria to colonize so you do not dose this really in proportion to big horse / mini horse size difference... Some people recommend yogurt w/ active cultures, but I am skeptical that yogurt in the quantity a person would give a horse had enough good bacteria to help with diarrhea.

Bio sponge will also absorb toxins that may be in her system. It is great stuff! She really needs the vet out. This could be caused by so many different things! She could have sand also. In that case you would want to give psyllium. (sand clear) You want to make sure she doesn't get dehydrated.

Please keep us informed.

Wait patiently for the Vet. Diarrhea should not be treated from afar as there are multiple different causes and guessing the wrong one is not only not helpful, but it can be harmful.

Good luck.

Dr Taylor

Sending prayers

I totally agree with doc taylor. especially sudden onset of true diarhea (water) Get your vet out asap.

I would take her temperature and wait for the vet. Just make sure she has fresh water and stay with her in case she starts rolling and if she does take her for short walks. Don't take her far from her friends as this might upset her. Make a note of her routine and diet of the last few days if it has changed at all so that you can tell the vet.

Good luck, I am sending prayers

Renee

Agree 100% with Dr. Taylor. I would call your vet back and tell them it is urgent.

You may try hand walking her for a while and I would definitely take her temperature. If she is laying quietly, then I would let her. I am also not sure if she should be eating.

I too agree with Dr. Taylor, and would recommend taking her temperator, if it is high, DO NOT give banimine, you may hose her with cool water, not cold, until the vet arrives. There are too many things to be considered here without having a vet examine her. Also save some of the stool or fluid if possable, vet may want to see it or do a float.

how is she ? did the vet come yet ? ..hoping for a happy outcome

Sending good thoughts for your little mare
default_no.gif

Hope your vet has at least talked to you over the phone by now.

Whille you wait, try walking her, sometimes that gets things "moving" and gets her mind off her tummy. Don't give her any hay or grain til you have spoken to your vet. Keep track of her temperature.If she really wants to lay down after walking, just don't let her roll. I have often given my minis a dose of Pepto Bismol,it may settle her tummy.

First and foremost, you need to get in touch with a vet!!

Thank you for all of the help and well wishes, Sissy is back to her old self again
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
. The vet didn't come out but I did talk to her on the phone and did what I was told and Sissy is back to normal.

Thank you for all of the help and well wishes, Sissy is back to her old self again
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
. The vet didn't come out but I did talk to her on the phone and did what I was told and Sissy is back to normal.
Do you have any Chinese Tallow or Chinaberry Tree's located where she is housed?

I would check and make sure there isn't a plant, weed, and tree that she may have got into that might be toxic, your state may have a list of plant, weeds, and trees that are common to your area, the below site is base on Texas Toxic plants, but may help you..

http://essmextension.tamu.edu/plantsdev/book/toxics/

Hope this helps some, not that it was her problem but could have been..
default_smile.png

Hello, Please still keep a close eye on her. I had a mini mare Friday night.

She was laying flat. Still interested in eating, but then would lay flat.

Gave banamine, a emma, a little salt in water. Watched her till 3 am, was fine.

Fine all day Sat. & Sunday. Today she is in ICU at Texas A&M.

Check her all day yesterday. Was fine. Last night went to feed, she was down

again flat. Took to the Vet. Vet sent us to Texas A&M, he was afraid she would

need surgery. Longest trip ever.. 3 hours on the road. Thankfully I took her

daughter who is her buddy with her. We arrived, they did all kinds of test,

a altra sound, everything came back normal. Heart rate, pulse, gums, all good.

Still got some fluid from tummy. Kept her, re-ran test today, small impaction

in small intestines. With med's and so many prayers, she is improving.

She is alert, fussy at them. She is back passing poop today. She did get IV's

today, with Sugar and electro lytes added. They are keeping her for the week.

So please watch your mare. I thought we were out of the woods. Its also a full

moon, which for some reason causes a lot of colics. I got this from a friend

who own's and run's a pet cemetary. He said on the full moon's to take all grain

away from horses.

I am not a vet, just a miniature horse owner. Honey is one of my best, and she

is my baby. Please keep her in your prayers too.

Prayers for your girl, please keep a close eye on her.

Latest posts

Back