Sick horse, any ideas?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AceyHorse

Reaction score
My 5 year old gelding Hero has been unwell since saturday, we are thinking Rye grass staggers but I would love some other opinions.

His symptoms are lethargy, reluctance to move about, a bit un-steady on his feet, ears hanging out to the sides and just a general uncomfortable look to him, he is eating well but then will just spend long periods of time standing with his head hanging low, nose nearly on the ground. He first started showing this behavior on saturday, I thought he had colic at first as he kept turning to look at his sides as well. I had the vet come out immediately and he took his tempreture which was normal and listened to his stomach which he said was a bit gurgly so Hero was given a muscle relaxant for his gut, followed up with some anti-inflamatorys.

The following day he seemed slightly brighter, he was passing wind and going to the toilet, but still seemed unsteady on his feet and quite lethargic, he has had good appetite through all of this and still calls out for his dinner and eats his hay. I had a very experienced horseman look at him and he said he thought it was rye grass staggers. And he told me to keep him off the grass, just giving him hay and water.

I called the vet again on sunday and told him his symptoms again, and he said that if its rye grass staggers there isn't anything he can do and also said to keep him off the grass.

Today he is still the same. no worse but no better. He seems a bit uncomfortable on his feet, but there is no heat, if anything his hooves are strangely cold.

I would love to hear any thoughts and if anyone could share their experiences with horses with rye grass staggers.

ODD ENOUGH to say, but we had a HERO as well, that did the same thing to us. but in a much worse case, he had liver failure and it came upon him so fast, he was fine and a few hrs later, he couldn't walk was stumbling into things, and kept getting worse. We had to put him down, but sometimes if you catch it our vets said you might be able to save them, with fluids & IV's to get his levels back up, maybe have your vet run a test on him? I guess it wouldn't hurt! Its a horrible thing to see something you love so much stumbling around and not being able to control himself.

WISHING THE BEST FOR YOUR HERO!!!!!!!!

[SIZE=12pt]I appreciate the fact that you had an experienced horse person look at your gelding but I'd suggest that you contact your vet ASAP....[/SIZE] [SIZE=12pt]Evidently, his condition hasn't improved since Saturday and time is crucial when it come to there health.[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Not having ever been thru the beginning stages of EPM, thee symptoms sound similar to what I have read. As you know, we purchased a sick mare. Upon a nuerolgical and some further testing she was diagnosed with EPM. Fortunately they can recover, and con live a normal life. Our mare is improving in leaps and bounds. We have great hope. Please keep us posted, and let us know what you find.

I had a whole bunch of show horses collapsing all over my place from being fed hay that was crop dusted by accident and sold to every stable in town. Your horse doesn't seem to fit the rye grass staggers according to what you described exactly but I suppose it could be. From my experience a horse with the grass staggers acts completely DRUNK, falling completely down, and falling all over himself, bumping into trees and barns like they have no control of their eyesight or any movement. That's what I had.

I don't know what you have there; but your vet is very wrong. There is a lot they can do for a horse with the grass staggers. So in that light, I would suggest to you to get yourself another vet on this horse right away. Seems to me he is in trouble somehow and has other symptoms that don't necessarily mean grass staggers. Best wishes and hopes for a very speedy recovery.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would definately have another Vet out to look at him. Typically when a sick horse has been treated they should show some signs of improvement within 24 hours. I would be very concerned. It could many things. WNV, EPM, something Toxic, something internal and so on.

Do you have a way to take his temperator? Is he running one?

Good luck,

B

IF it is Rye Grass Staggers (and it really doesn't sound like the horses I have seen with it) - excitement will cause them to

From my experience a horse with the grass staggers acts completely DRUNK, falling completely down, and falling all over himself, bumping into trees and barns like they have no control of their eyesight or any movement.
Yep.

This boy had been through a bushfire and had then been fed the only hay that was available (which had a good amount of Rye Grass in it). And developed Rye Grass Staggers. He lost his eyesight completely for about a week.

The ones I have known with it spun around in circles, and their eyesight did appear to be affected. We put them in a safe area, and fed hay (that didn't have any rye grass in it) and we also gave them Dextrose/Glucose as we feel that any mini that is under stress is at risk of developing Hyperlipemia/Hyperglycaemia.

Rye Grass only appears to be toxic when there is fresh new growth that contains a fungual/ergot around the base of it.

I hope that you can sort out your horse's problem.

Thanks so much to everyone for their replies.

Good news, my husband said he was improving last night and this morning when I went to check up on him, he is, thankfully, looking alot better, his ears are pricked forward, his eyes are bright, he is comfortable and steady on his feet, he is calling out like mad to his friends. Had he not been I would have insisted that the vet come back out, or sort out another vet immediately.

Yes his symptoms had me wondering as well, as they weren't really obvious grass stagger symptoms ie he wasn't falling over or stumbling around, just a general unsteadiness etc, unless he had it very mildly or we caught it very early on. Apparently with this unusually hot dry spring we are having its been a perfect environment for that nasty rye grass fungus to grow. If he shows any sign of going down hill again we'll get the vet out again to run some tests, but hopefully he will stay on the improve. I'll keep you all updated.

kayla221444 I am so sorry to hear about your Hero, that must have been so devestating for you
default_sad.png

Latest posts

Back