Sick Cat suggestions?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashley

Reaction score
It seems I have become the home of unwanted stray cats. I am now up to 7 cats to spay/neuter and vac so if anybody knows of a low cost spay/neuter program in MN let me know!

Anyway the last stray come in about 2 weeks ago. I finally have him frindly. He was comeing around good then just the other day I went outside and he came right up to me for loving. He sure is a nice boy, and follows me everywhere, along with the rest of the herd.

Anyway, I think he has a cold. He has runny eyes, sometimes a runny nose. It is all clear fluid and he has a awful sneeze. Is there anything I can give him to get him better?

Yes, a shot of Pen G under his skin, have someone help you, cause they can really scratch you up.

for the next 5-7 days...Good Luck deworm with Strongid T thats what we have in Ontario.

I would start with a distemper shot! Then maybe a penicillin shot to fight off any infection.
NEVER vaccinate a sick animal. It is to much stress on their immune system that is already fighting an infection. He needs amoxicillin if you have any, if you can't catch him to give shots or oral treatment, he will get over it in time. The other cats will probably get it also since it is very infectious to others.

I second no vaccines until he's well. I also wouldn't be giving any antibiotics in injection form on a stray cat. Sounds like a good way to have to go thru rabies treatment.

Also Penicillin G is not labeled for subcutanous injection (under the skin), only intramuscularly (in the muscle).

Last edited by a moderator:
I second no vaccines until he's well. I also wouldn't be giving any antibiotics in injection form on a stray cat. Sounds like a good way to have to go thru rabies treatment.

Also Penicillin G is not labeled for subcutanous injection (under the skin), only intramuscularly (in the muscle).

I used to think the same, but after two vets in Ontario, has said will still work under the skin.

Yes, us Canadians do things different sometimes, an I am just thinking a cat is so hard to give any medication too, this might be a little easier and might let you get near him again.

Also thru the years have learned Pen G for infection in animals eyes can also be used to put a drop or two in their eyes. My Vet has made this suggestions when I have not had the proper ointment on hand.

Just what we have done here and helps. Yes you are correct it does say intramuscularly.

I also did some research and found this info: so must work this way also?

DOSAGE

Beef Cattle: 2 mL per 150 lbs. of body weight GIVEN SUBCUTANEOUSLY ONLY (2,000 units penicillin G procaine and 2,000 units penicillin G benzathine per lb. of body weight). Treatment should be repeated in 48 hours.

IMPORTANT: Treatment in beef cattle must be limited to two (2) doses given by subcutaneous injection only.

Please take the cat to the vet for proper diagnosis and treatment, or to have it put it out of it's misery.

I am not going to put a cat out of its misery because some stupid idiot didnt fix there cats. I also can not afford vet care on every stray that comes to live here. I would be broke just on the cats with no way to pay for the horses and dogs.

That said I am willing to do what i can to get him better. He is a good cat. And just because somedody didnt bother fixing their cats or taking care of them doesnt me I am going to turn a blind eye to them.

Just because it has a cold I highly doubt its in misery. IT has watery eyes, and sneezes but breaths normal and is in healthy weight and body coat.

In a perfect world we would all be able to take every stray to a vet but the world isnt perfect. Since you are in cold country the cat probably does have a cold and in that case antibiotics would help and its usually a good sign when the fluids are clear and not yellow/green or thick and gooey. Just beware that there are alot of cat diseases that stray cats can catch. Doesnt sound like he is anywhere near having to be put down though. Good luck with him.

Good for you!!! Its nice you are trying to help him!

I am not going to put a cat out of its misery because some stupid idiot didnt fix there cats. I also can not afford vet care on every stray that comes to live here. I would be broke just on the cats with no way to pay for the horses and dogs.

That said I am willing to do what i can to get him better. He is a good cat. And just because somedody didnt bother fixing their cats or taking care of them doesnt me I am going to turn a blind eye to them.

Just because it has a cold I highly doubt its in misery. IT has watery eyes, and sneezes but breaths normal and is in healthy weight and body coat.
I agree, NO need to put the cat down
default_new_shocked.gif
I was given a cat in the Winter which they told me was an outside cat and I am sure he was not, but after a week in the barn he got runny eyes and sneezing, I did what I have suggested and he cleared up find. My suggestions are usually what has worked for me, not just having you do something that would harm any animal but yes, some animals can have a reaction to pen G.

Good Luck Ashley just thought this would save you a vet visit, I do understand with stray cats.

I, personally, do not believe in calling it rescue or even providing a better situation for an animal if a) proper veterinary care is not provided (including vaccinations, deworming and medication) and b) the animal is able to continue reproducing more unwanted animals that will be born into a situation where proper veterinary care is not provided. I also don't believe an animal has to have labored breathing and crusted over eyes before it can be said it should be put out of it's misery when proper veterinary care is not being provided.

Simple colds in cats can turn deadly FAST. Not only that, but the cold may spread to the others.

I have taken in four dogs since moving to this area. They are now fully vaccinated, dewormed unable to reproduce and one has seen the vet for necessary treatment. If I couldn't have afforded to do this, the dogs would not be here. This has nothing to do with whoever let these dogs become strays, and everything to do with me properly caring for animals that I choose to take in. I pass by more strays (dogs and cats) on a daily basis. We are at capacity and so they do not come home with me, even the ones who often show up on our doorstep. I know you're doing your best, but sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same.

Hum...........I never said I didnt plan on getting them fixed or vaccinated. They all have already been dewormed.

Maybe judgemental people are the reason some dont post anymore.

I would suspect the cat of having an upper respiratory infection, which will probably be contagious to the others.

I have a couple of nice farm vets in my area who have let me get liquid antibiotics (without seeing the animal) to add to food when a situation like this comes up with strays that I can't catch.

Then eventually when you are able the distemper shot will help to prevent situations like this.

I know some GREAT resources in Iowa for really reduced cost spay/neuter/vax, but sorry, none in Minnesota. Maybe just contact a few shelters or rescue groups on petfinder and see if they know of a clinic?

Thanks for taking care of all those kitties
default_smile.png

I did contact some. ONe just got back to me. Which is the cheapest around so I will be makeing the appointment for 4 of them, the other 2 need to age a few weeks yet.

They do females for 69 and males for 32

SmokeyHead.jpg

Smokie.jpg

That price is very good!

But there is a clinic in Iowa that does cat spay/nueter for under $30!!

Which is just awesome!! How many more people would be able to afford helping out strays at that cost!!

When I win the lotto, I will sponsor a spay/nueter clinic
default_smile.png
!

Oh yeah, you have to play to win.
default_biggrin.png

I'm not judging you, just offering my opinion. I was under the impression that's what public forums are for. At any rate, I'm glad the cats have been dewormed and it's great that you're getting them fixed (and vaccinated?) soon. I'm sure the vet will be able to help the sick cat get better, and I hope the others stay healthy for you.

they have part of there vacs. They will get the rest when they go to get fixed as they have to have them in order to get fixed.

Having gone through the whole "rabies" situation (shots etc) from a sick kitten that I brought home that had lived on a farm, I am pretty cautious of sick animals.
default_new_shocked.gif
Inside AND especially any that are outside ESPECIALLY strays that I don't even know where they came from.

It was a while ago, and things may have changed.. but altho the rabies shots themselves are not as horrible as people believe, it was such a hassle, EXTREMELY expensive (hundreds) of dollars for each person and a bit scarey when you have health people knocking at your door asking you questions and telling you to get to the hospital ASAP and placing pets in quarantine.
default_no.gif
My home owners insurance covered part of the bill for me and the 2 other people involved with that cat when they were at my house, the other people had to hassle with their insurance...
default_wacko.png

My kitten started out with a few symptoms such as yours. Long story short, got increasingly worse, went to the vet, kitten dies, went in for testing at the university, diagnosed with rabies. Myself, 4 family members, my vet and her assistant (for a total of 7 people) all had to go to the hospital to start the series of rabies shots. We are all sitting in the ER because its late and after the clinic hours. Then The hospital ran out and they had to transfer half of the people involved to another hospital out of town.

Also a few of the animals on the farm where this cat came from had to be in quarantine and I believe a few had to be put down if I remember correctly...

I believe in the end, it was figured out that it had been a skunk eating out of the cats dish (where the kitten came from) that had had the rabies.
default_wacko.png

Now aren't you all glad to know that? :DOH!
default_rolleyes.gif
I guess I'm just very cautious. I just don't think you can be overly cautious somtimes when it comes to some things.
default_unsure.png

Good luck.

P.S. maybe I should go back and count how many times I used the words...especially and cautious?? :DOH! :DOH!

Nope, he has a Herpes type disease. A lot of stray cats carry this. and lucky me- a stray cat out in the field gave one of mine the herpes and she gave it to everybody. ALL EIGHT OF THEM!!!! It will come and go when it wants to. Summer, winter, spring, fall, day or night, it has no certain time to occur, it just does all of a sudden. the vet has something called Enisyl-F or Viralys(L-Lysine) - this helps boost their immune system while fighting this 3-5 day occurance, if really bad, the vet will give you Baytril pills to give also.

Another thing- do not over vaccinate your cats, they truly only needs vacs/ boosters every three years !!!

Latest posts

Back