Showmanship

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm thinking I'd like to introduce my grandchildren to the show ring. Can someone suggest a good video for Showmanship?

I need to review the rules, as I've never done Showmanship. Is Western attire required? The horse I plan for them to use is A and R.

If they can do Showmanship, they could also do a halter class. Just in the Idea Stage at this point, but they were so comfortable with Ranger at Christmas it gave me the idea.

My grandson, 6 yr old, did both last year. They are allowed to have a "safety adult" with them. I purchased him a little 5 piece suit off Amazon.com for like $40 and a fedora, added a pair of gloves and some cowboy boots and he was in heaven. I let him show color and showmanship 7 & under, he also did leadline again this year. I let him show in Youth Halter, the horse got a little pushy and the judge actually told him to pop him one in the end of the nose (perhaps not my choice but it worked). He is really excited to do it again in 2015 and has already asked if I would work with him on the pattern some.

They all have to start somewhere and I think it is great that you are giving them the opportunity. The youth are the future of our breed and we need to remember that!

Ozark Mountain Tack has a new DVD just about showing miniatures in showmanship. I personally haven't seen it but heard good reviews on it.

As far as wearing English or western attire all I have seen is western.

Two of our granddaughters also started in showmanship, halter, and costume. The showmanship outfits we put together mainly through local thrift stores with the exception of boots, hat, gloves. That way the girls were able to build several looks and change things out during the day.

It was a fun way for me to have fun with the granddaughters and the minis at the same time. We all learned a lot over the years. With help from a generous family, they also learned about jumping and they tried that as well as liberty - fun!

I also learned that showmanship protocols are not identical after having some showmanship lessons from a 'big horse' trainer working in a different breed organization - my own inexperience showing!

You may already know about another option available-the ASPC/AMHR youth foundation program which gives kids a chance to earn a truly excellent athletic jacket. Our two granddaughters did earn theirs and wear them with pride. It took awhile to fill the requirements but it was a well rounded experience and included other activities beyond formal showing.

Some summers the minis really earned their oats!

Grandkids and ponies are a good mix!

I might order the halter dvd from Ozark (my catalog doesn't show a showmanship). But I'm not very competitive, so not sure I can set up children and horses to win. I would hate for them to show and not win something. It's okay for parents to teach that hard lesson, but not sure grandma is up to it! I've only shown in performance, where that nth grooming is not so necessary. Not sure about exposing the children with less than perfect preparation. I'll have to keep thinking about it. Meanwhile, I might order the dvd and work with the horse--just in case.

That's the Plus side of showing--being inspired to learn and improve.

I feel exactly the same way, hence the costume class
default_yes.gif
. We don't have 'halter' horses, but they tried it a few times, including the color classes, and placed a few times. Over the years, only one grandchild actually placed first in anything, but they always came home with a ribbon - lots of pink in their closets!

Fortunately, being tween girls, and then later teen girls, they loved the whole shampooing and clipping/buffing thing and did a good job.

I guess that is also another reason I gravitated toward the youth foundation programs because they can't lose and can earn something really nice -

Our minis have certainly proven over and over how versatile they are! Even if they are not perfectly gorgeous on the outside, they have perfectly gorgeous hearts
default_firstprize.gif
!

Latest posts

Back