Showing Weanlings

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frizzle's Gal

Reaction score
I am taking my colt to a show Thursday and I clipped all but his legs and ears. He just wont let me touch them. I got him about a month ago and he was never worked with until now. Will I get points off for not having him fully clipped? I would think the judge would understand but maybe not. Has this ever happened to you? Will I get points off?

Have you tried using a twitch or having someone else there to hold on to him and help calm him down?

Can't answer whether theyll count off or not, but would think that if it makes him look funny to have all but those areas clipped and/or if the others are all clipped then they might take some points off..Just my thinking...

No I havnt tried a twitch, but I dont have one either. Is there anything I could use in place of a twitch?

Desensitize, use the clippers around the area's he don't like with out clipping him just run it up and down slowly starting where he does not mind it and going into the parts he don't. It Will take time but it will work.

make sure the clipper are on while you do this. Each time you do it he will get better.

Slow and reassuring calm words and good boy good boy. Lots of scratches when he is good and quiet.

Let us know how you make out.

Desensitize, use the clippers around the area's he don't like with out clipping him just run it up and down slowly starting where he does not mind it and going into the parts he don't. It Will take time but it will work.

make sure the clipper are on while you do this. Each time you do it he will get better.

Slow and reassuring calm words and good boy good boy. Lots of scratches when he is good and quiet.

Let us know how you make out.
I just clipped today and it was mine and my mini's first time at clipping. I let him sniff the clippers then I rubbed the clippers (while off) on his body then I turned them on and went across his back and sides without clipping. Once he realized they weren't going to hurt him he stood still and I started on his legs first, working from the hooves up. His legs were the easiest part to clip. I was prepared to spend hours clipping but had him all done in about an hour. I talked calmly to him the entire time and stopped every few minutes and just petted him and told him what a good boy he was.

I dont really think twitches work all to well on the weanlings and gosh if we hold onto one legs of Zorros he'll just kick with the others
default_rolleyes.gif
: He is SO bad to clip .. mr attitude.

You just have to DO it. Desensitize him every few days, he needs to get over it. Your colt will only get bigger and smarter and harder to work with as he ages. It's very important he learns these basic parts of equine life.

Patience is going to be key, and I think you have gotten some good tips so far.

Andrea

Latest posts

Back