Showing two weekends in a row - clipping?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mydaddysjag

Reaction score
We will be showing two weekends in a row, and Im not sure what to do clipping wise. I really dont want to have to clip both horses twice in two weeks, so am looking for some input. Domingo looks good clipped in a 30, but also looks good in a 10 and a 15. Do you think If I clip him in a 30, he would look half decent a week later, if I just touch up his legs an head? Hes my silver black gelding. We show him in showmanship, color, hunter, driving, and halter. I know his color would look great, but not sure about the hair length.

The next horse is my Bay pinto stallion. Of course, I cant clip him with a 30 because of all the white, but im wondering If I could get away with clipping him with a 15, and not clipping for the show the following weekend?

Im worried that I'll clip too close to the second show and he'll be pink.

I would clip both in a 15 right before the first show. Normally I dont clip that close to a show but in this case I would if I didnt want to clip twice.

I wouldnt clip ever in a 30 but thats just me. I also wouldnt clip a pinto in a 15 either, too pink for my taste. That said if it were me I would clip for both shows, they look the best that way.

I am not a fan of clipping in a 30 blade. I have done a couple black horses in a 15 but usually just stick with 10s.

I would clip a couple days before the first show, and then wouldn't bother with clipping for the second show (except for faces and maybe coronet bands/fetlocks.)

Andrea

Ashley, normally I do clip before every show, even if they fall two weeks in a row, but due to scheduling right now Im not able to. Im not too worried about Domingo, he actually looks best the day after hes clipped, his coat comes in this really funny texture and doesnt lay down sleek even after clipped, it stands "on end" like a porcupine lol.

Im not sure when the new guy looks best, I dont have him home yet. He comes home on August 2nd.

I definitely wouldn't clip two weeks in a row. But then, I also showed a yearling this summer who has never been clipped, ever. ;-)

I would clip for both shows.
default_smile.png
Nothing looks better than a good fresh clip unless it's a horse that has a very fine coat and is shed out naturally...and those are even more difficult to do because the trimming up takes a LOT of work!

I had this happen a couple of years ago - 2 shows in a row, and I chose not to clip for the 2nd show but clean them up - legs, head, etc.

Never again - the judge for the 2nd show TOLD me that I would have placed higher had I "Bothered" to clip my horse.
default_wacko.png

I may pass on the second show then. The entire week before the second show I will be driving to my sisters an hour away and staying there until 8pm when my brother in law gets home from work, getting back home after 9pm. Im going to work the horses early in the morning before I leave, but wont have time to clip those mornings. I'm not going to have a day when I have enough time to clip both horses. I have a 13 month old, so cant clip late in the evenings. My sister and my nephew were just released from the hospital, her C section incision opened up and got infected, and my nephew spent a couple weeks in the NICU. My brother in law is out of sick days and vacation time, so It will be my week to go down and help her out. She still needs help getting around, isnt allowed on steps, and my nephew still has some special needs.

I regularly show back to back to back
default_biggrin.png
default_wacko.png
. I clip with a 15 and just touch up for the 2nd show. It always looks good and I would worry so much.
default_yes.gif
I'll have four shows in August and I'll be clipping bodies 2twice and heads 4 times. Even many big trainers do not clip the whole horse for every show! Go and have fun!!
default_aktion033.gif

It's more of a personal opinion, but either way know your horses coat....

I have 13 horses up showing in my barn and I have 3 that I have not clipped at all this year (body clipped) they have shedded out and I touch up them (face, fetlocks, belly, bridlepath) before each show. Then I have 6 that were only clipped for the first show the first of May and for their shows in June and July they were not clipped again, just touch ups. Then I have 4 that I have clipped before every show, as they get "fluffy" looky and aren't able to keep that tighter coat that lays down if not clipped.

Now before Nationals/at Nationals they will all get clipped, as in September the horses, or mine at least, are in that in between phase and even though it's hot they are wanting to start their fall/winter coats with a little fluff....

Latest posts

Back