Showing Shetlands and Miniatures

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frizzle's Gal

Reaction score
I was wondering how showing a Shetland and Miniature in halter are different/the same? Thanks! Oh and the shetland is Foundation if that makes a difference.

Shetlands unlike miniatures must work off the rail at a trot in both directions.

Go to the center of the ring and set up. Judge will look at your horse and ask you to go to the rail. Trot in both directions. Go back to center and set your horse back up.

Foundation ponies showing in foundation division do not get stretched as much as say a modern or modern pleasure. they are shown more square.

If its new to you its always good to try and go last and watch what the other people do

I just showed my first shetland last week. So much fun!!! Minis walk past the judge, trot and then set up. Shetlands walk in, set up and show. Then after the judges look at them, they are asked to run the rail. You will walk straight ahead until you reach the rail. Then trot the horse (pretty fast) in that direction, stop and then turn around. Trot you horse again and trot past the point where you started. Stop and walk your horse back to the line up and set back up.

You still bait them the same wanting to get their neck, but the shetlands are parked out lots more.

Then trot the horse (pretty fast) in that direction, stop and then turn around.
We are going to show a shetland next year, hopefully, and we have watched the classes all year at the shows we attended. You need to watch your horse and show that horse at the trot to that horses best advantage. Some horses they showed fast as that is how the horse looked best, but I watched one this year that had some of the prettiest flowing movement at a slower trot. Very elegant. You may want to see how your horse moves best.

As far working at the rail, if you have a more leggy horse that flows when they move and really reached then i would take them out at a trot a bit faster, if i have a more "prissy" trotter then i might slow them down and let them really show that off.

Set up center of the ring (however the judge asks you too...some ask to face the rail, some ask tail to nose) and the judge will look over each pony one ata time and ask them to trot. If your showing a classic/foundation work OFF the rail (stay about 6ft from the rail at the trot)...if your showing modern then you work ON the rail which is right up next to it. I made this mistake for some time until someone explained it to me...

When i set mine up, i park my foundations just enough to level off the croup and topline. I think the judges like to see the shetlands more upheaded when working their necks/body. No matter what show your horse to its advantage and to where it looks right.

Then of course the minis...walk to the judge....trot past...set up and then work the body/neck while the judge looks them over. Minis, much easier to show...but i prefer the shetland ring. I have a foundation 38" shetland that is so much fun to show, he just goes in that ring and works the rail and is really up and showy, he is my faverite to handle.

Latest posts

Back