Showing questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enchantress

Reaction score
There's an AMHA show in RI next Sunday and I plan on going providing I don't hit any major road bumps between now and then so I thought I ought to at least pretend I have a clue!

For halter showing how many people wear gloves? Are jeans acceptable or frowned on? I'm talking like black jeans..no holes or anything. Does everyone wear a blazer or what else is acceptable?

For driving..in roadster do you have to have wheel covers? Would I be ok just wearing a windbreaker and matching cap? What do you wear for pants? Single pleasure is a dress nicer or are dress pants and shirt ok for any time of day. Country pleasure what do you wear? Do you need a hat? Do you wear gloves for driving?

Now for the big question....make up. To wear or not to wear..that IS the question! I'm not a big make up person but do occasionally throw something on for night classes. Do most people wear it for halter/driving any hours?

I'm sure I'll think of more!

And if anyone's going to that show, my friend and I would be the crazy people coming with a trailer load of 5 stallions/colts.
biggrin.gif

I'm not a driving person so can't answer those questions. Halter is judged on the horse and not the handler. Gloves are not required except in showmanship classes which are judged on the way the handler shows their horse.

Your attire should be neat, clean and have a put together look to it. You don't have to wear a blazer but I always show in one. I always put on makeup when I show even though I don't wear it much of the time. Even though they are judging the horse in halter, you don't want to go out looking like the country bumpkin bringing your horse to the big city for the first time. It is easy to spot the people just starting to show as they don't have the polish that others have that have been out there doing it for awhile. They usually bring up the bottom placings in the class and if you can present yourself and your horse in the best light everytime you go ut it will make a difference. Judges are only people and first impressions mean alot.

Gloves are a must for driving. I'm not sure on the windbreaker/cap, but you do have to have closed wheels for roadster.

For driving during the day, we always wear a nice dress, kind of summery, with short or long sleeves, not too billowy because you don't want it flopping around, but having enough to tuck around your legs comfortably. Midcalf or floor length. Nice jewelry (necklace, earrings. ) Some people have started wearing dress pants and jackets, but I don't think it gives as nice of a presentation.

This is for afternoon classes - evenings are formal. At least around here! Definitely long dresses, more prom or party type. Flashy jewelry is a nice touch.

Some folks wear hats. I don't look good in a hat and my hair is short, so I don't bother. Long hair is usually put in a bun or ponytail with a pretty hairclip. Occasionlly I will put a clip in if I"m between haircuts.

Make up YES!!

OOps forgot to mention some judges will check your FOOTWEAR!! Tennies are NOT acceptable so some, even if you can't see them.

ALSO - learned this at the last show - Open toed shoes/sandles are a disqualification!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the responses! I've been showing Morgans the past 12 years so I hopefully won't be completely clueless, but I have discovered some different rules and classes so I figure I should be prepared. Halter is definitely different!

I was hoping I may be able to get away with a black hunt coat, black jeans or dress pants and a coloured shirt. I have a buckskin, a gray, and a bay pinto if he measures under (never had him measured and I can't seem to get it right myself!) so I figured if it would be acceptable, that would look good with all of them, and since they're all stallions classes would be pretty close with no time to really change. Also, what's acceptable for bait? I've been using either a ball of grass or a peppermint still in the wrapper. I'm a bit lost with no whip, which I'm used to having with the Morgans to get them to come to.

I might have to go shopping for a dress. I have a black one with a white pattern I showed in once before up here (Maine) but when my legs were sticking to the seat I realised the slit might be a bit high.
ohmy.gif
OOPS! I was hoping if I sewed it up a bit I would be ok. It's about 3/4 length. I wore it with black nylons and my saddleseat boots. I figured a necklace or something and it would be ok for night classes or I may have another dress somewhere. I'm not really a "girlie" person so that type of wardrobe is very limited! I had my hair in like a half-ponytail type of thing, if you know what I mean..figured it gave a nice "casual country" appearance. It's not really long enough to do a lot with, but not short enough to just leave. I would definitely try to get it up for night classes.

The reason I was thinking of the dress pants for single pleasure was I don't know if I'll have enough time to change clothes AND horses/tack etc between single pleasure and roadster. I'm still not quick at even harnessing and usually have a friend helping, but she'll be getting her own horses ready. It should be FUN at any rate! I'm sorry but I'm like a kid going to a candy store! I've wanted to do a rated show all year and I think I'm actually going to get the chance!

Ruffian and wcr answered your questions. We will be going to that show just to watch next weekend. I will look out for you!

Hi,

I will be there, I am close and trying to get everything together for the club for the show, I would love to show you around and give any advice I can, My name is Jane Phillips and my farm is Hawk Hollow Farm, just ask around, most people there know me and I can try you help you out, This is always a fun show and we are having a club cookout going on and our weanling futurity going on. Should be great time.

The club has big bunch of good people always willing to hep new people.

Hope you can make, You will have great time

Halter class- black jeans and blazer are find, no gloves needed, only need gloves /hat for showmanship class, You should have hat for country driving, gloves if you want to and I dont know anyone else coming for roadster, so you can get by with what you have if you want to try the class.and as for makeup, thats up to you, Should be nice day, not to hot, so if you want to , go ahead.

Hope to meet you there....JANE

PS- Where are you coming from??

Thanks! We'll be coming from Maine. Are the classes usually quite large? I'll probably be easy to find, looking very lost with an overloaded vehicle....anyone have any ideas on how to get 4 carts onto the roof of an SUV?
wacko.gif
The horse I was hoping to try in roadster is green and a bit out of shape only having been hooked since last September so I was almost hoping for a small class. :) My friend will also be doing it with her stallion.

How late do you expect the show to run?

I can't wait to finally get out and meet some more mini people! I get some strange looks up here sometimes. What, it's not normal to put a horse in your car?!

Enchantress said:
Thanks!  We'll be coming from Maine. Are the classes usually quite large?  I'll probably be easy to find, looking very lost with an overloaded vehicle....anyone have any ideas on how to get 4 carts onto the roof of an SUV? 
wacko.gif
  The horse I was hoping to try in roadster is green and a bit out of shape only having been hooked since last September so I was almost hoping for a small class. :)  My friend will also be doing it with her stallion. How late do you expect the show to run?

I can't wait to finally get out and meet some more mini people! I get some strange looks up here sometimes.  What, it's not normal to put a horse in your car?!

461502[/snapback]

HI,

This will be one of our smaller shows, with some people leaving for AMHR nationals and with the crazy fuel cost. The show should be over late afternoon, You will meet some great mini people and we do have novice classes , so you can go in and try without being against the pro's.

Make sure to find me and I will help you out. See you there...JANE

Latest posts

Back