Showing in the "Model" classes, your thoughts

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankie

Reaction score
When it comes to showing in the Model classes, I have heard quite a bit of negative about putting a horse in those classes. I have only shown in a Model class with 2 different horses.

So do you think the higher quality horses do not shown in this class?

If I were to enter a horse in a Model class, am I saying he is lacking in something?

Do you show in that class, and why?

When I put horses in it before, it was usually for show experience.

I do not want to be critical at all of anyone who shows in this class, or any horse.

Just was wondering your thoughts.

I think the reason many bigger trainers don't put their horses in is because it isn't "worth" anything. You don't get any points toward Hall of Fame or the championships, so why "waste" the time and money.

I always liked the model class. I actually had the Res Champ All Star B gelding a few years ago in Model. First time in my life I ever won anything worthwhile in "real" horses. (I did a lot of winning with model Breyer horses before that)

Lucy

I like the Model class with new show horses. It gives them show experience, and seems to settle them down for the Open halter classes. But it doesn't get points, so I don't enter my more experienced horses.

I enjoy the model classes, i normally put my horses that are old enough in this class as it is right before our regular classes and we are up there anyways, so why not?

Since its judged on conformation only, i think maybe some people would think they could get away by putting a not so fancy nor correct moving horse in the class but i think some of those faults will show up in the conformation too. I actually enjoy the model classes, even without the points i feel its a useful class.

At the same time, if you have a horse that gets tired of showing i would probably skip it, as you have to plan on in most cases the horse going to show 3x in open (reg, jr/sr, then grand)..so if they loose that "show" and get tired of showing for you, i would skip the Model class. Most of my horses though love to show luckly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Model classes are popular here too, and most times are as full as the regular classes! I dont think it hurts at all!!

I love the model classes! My gelding, although he is nine this year, still needs a class to get him focused before the open divison.

Courtney

I have mixed feelings on the model classes.

They can be good to get your horse in focus if they take a bit to get into their show gear. It is also just one more class to get your horse out there and have the chance to win.

The bad part is however that "model" classes are supposed to be going for the absolute best horse and kind of set the type for what the judge should place for the rest of the day but that sometimes isn't how the judges place it for some reason. If your horse wins in model against certain horses and has another class with those same horses it should win that class as well but I have seen the model winner placed lower against the same horses in another class.

It all depends on who the judge is and whether or not they actually know what they are doing, there are quite a few out there placing cowhocked horses or horses with just plain bad conformation all the way around that are just good at posing.

I do it for the chance and it never really has had a bad effect on the rest of the day it just depends on the judge.

They are always full at all of the shows around here so it never hurts to try.

I've heard negative things about the class, but only from trainers, not non-professional owners. Don't know exactly why that would be, just an observation. I personally have found that winning in Model has, for the most part, carried over to the open classes. I personally show in it, but if I have a horse that I think is going to tire of the ring, then I skip it. For the reasons others have mentioned - winning it doesn't get me to the championship classes.

I have mixed feelings on the model classes.
They can be good to get your horse in focus if they take a bit to get into their show gear. It is also just one more class to get your horse out there and have the chance to win.

The bad part is however that "model" classes are supposed to be going for the absolute best horse and kind of set the type for what the judge should place for the rest of the day but that sometimes isn't how the judges place it for some reason. If your horse wins in model against certain horses and has another class with those same horses it should win that class as well but I have seen the model winner placed lower against the same horses in another class.

It all depends on who the judge is and whether or not they actually know what they are doing, there are quite a few out there placing cowhocked horses or horses with just plain bad conformation all the way around that are just good at posing.

I do it for the chance and it never really has had a bad effect on the rest of the day it just depends on the judge.

They are always full at all of the shows around here so it never hurts to try.
I have to agree with this. I've also seen judges choose purely on color, and it really annoys me when this happens, because they shouldn't just look at color, it's everything.

Some people look at it this way.

Since the Model classes won't give the horse a chance to get into the championship classes, some want to "reserve" their horses..in regards to patience, attention, etc for their year classes.

They want them fresh. Hopefully if you have a horse that can go the whole way, by the time they get through their year class, then the junior or senior championships and the grands.....that is a lot....why poop them out in a model class first when it doesn't count for anything.

That is one reason that some do not show in the model class
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
If your horse wins in model against certain horses and has another class with those same horses it should win that class as well
"It all depends on who the judge is and whether or not they actually know what they are doing, there are quite a few out there placing cowhocked horses or horses with just plain bad conformation all the way around that are just good at posing." Yep, that's exactly what model class is. A snapshop of that horse in place.

Movement can make a huge difference in classes. Some horses look great standing still, and simply fall apart when asked to move. Attitude can make a difference, just as paying attention can. If a horse gets tired and quits showing, it should absolutely be placed down no matter where they placed earlier in the day. I've seen judges change their cards just before turning them in when a person quit showing too soon and the horse fell apart. REALLY ticked off the guy but you show until the cards are in! horse had been winning consistently prior to that class.

I've never seen color make much of a difference in the model classes.

If your horse wins in model against certain horses and has another class with those same horses it should win that class as well
"It all depends on who the judge is and whether or not they actually know what they are doing, there are quite a few out there placing cowhocked horses or horses with just plain bad conformation all the way around that are just good at posing." Yep, that's exactly what model class is. A snapshop of that horse in place.

Movement can make a huge difference in classes. Some horses look great standing still, and simply fall apart when asked to move. Attitude can make a difference, just as paying attention can. If a horse gets tired and quits showing, it should absolutely be placed down no matter where they placed earlier in the day. I've seen judges change their cards just before turning them in when a person quit showing too soon and the horse fell apart. REALLY ticked off the guy but you show until the cards are in! horse had been winning consistently prior to that class.

I've never seen color make much of a difference in the model classes.
I agree with everything said here. I know from personal experience that a cowhocked horse who can pose well can win in Model but is exposed in a open or ammy halter class due to having to walk and trot. My gelding Binky is cowhocked. I know it, it's no secret. He WON the model class at the National Area IV show this year. NEVER should have won. Was it fun and neat for him to win? Sure, but he's far from perfect. And once we went into ammy and open and the judge could see him move we went down in the placings as we should have.

Another example is our stallion Corona. His legs are perfectly straight, but being only 27.5" his movement just can't compete with 34" stallions. So Corona is undefeated in Model. He's probably won under close to 30 judges and has never been anything other than first. And he always won his open classes, but get him in ammy or the grand class and he couldn't compete with the leggier horses - just a fact of life.

I've also not seen a win in model based on color.

Just a comment on the cow hocked thing. For one there are no perfect horses out there. I have seen many mildly cowhocked horses win championships. why?? because everything else about them was so outstanding that the cowhocks was a mild fault. Remember the judge has to take into consideration the entire horse against the other horses out there. So if you have a mildly cow hocked horse but is outstanding in every other way vs a straight legged but ewe necked horse then the cow hocked horse will win. I think sometimes because cow hocks is so easy to pick out people focus on that and scream "that horse should have never won!" when most of the time I absolutely agree with the judge. We had a show this year that had the most beautiful mare in every way except she was just a bit hocky. She beat my straight legged mare but I had to agree with the judge as she was just so outstanding in every other aspect. A friend of mine was like "but shes cowhocked!" yep but all things in consideration she was outstanding and I would have taken her home in a heart beat

As far as model class I think there are a lot of myths about it. I have talked to a lot that insist if a horse wins model they will not win in open and ammy so they shun the class. I think theres probably a lot more entries in open and ammy so thats probably the real difference
default_smile.png
I show in it occassionally but because of the point issue skip it most times. I have a limited budget to show on so have to be picky about what classes I enter

Kay is right. I should have added that my gelding Binky has more issues than just being cowhocked.
default_laugh.png
But his crooked legs are generally pretty obvious in a halter class so I think that once the judges sees him move we generally are going to be out of the top ribbons.

Just being cowhocked in and of itself isn't a reason to not place a horse well. There are many considerations, starting with what the quality of the competition is. A big ol' ewe neck is certainly less desirable (IMO) than a slight case of being cowhocked. There are LOTS of club-footed horses that are have world champion halter titles. Just look around at their professional pictures! It's all over!! But I guess that was less of a flaw than what else the class had to offer. It's about the overall horse. And Model class is about the overall horse...minus the movement!
default_saludando.gif

I show in it. But with showing more horses this year, it'll most likely be a class I look at to cut to save money. My horses do well in model and it always carries over to the open classes. I've never been placed under a horse I beat in model in an open class. And our Utah club counts the model class towards our gelding incentive points program. So its a plus to keep my geldings going in there.
default_smile.png
I sometimes see a lower quality of horses in there (people will stick a horse in there vs their open age class).

Latest posts

Back