showing in hand questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

krissy3

Hi everyone,

got a few questions on showing in hand

I have a new little yearling...and I want to show her this spring and summer in hand

as she is only 1 1/2 years old , i will wait another year to introduce the bit, and at least 2 for jumping.

what is the best show halter for in hand showing, obstical in hand , and showmanship . She is black with a white star. what color would you go for? all black with silver trim , a little color? and what about me ...all black too ?maybe a scarf in same color as the bead in halter? what looks best on a black horse. Also showing in hand with a bit , can someone tell me the pros and cons of doing this? other than having a stallion that is a little cheekey?My new girl seems very quiet , and gentle, and my gelding was as well, we never used a bit other than for driving , and that was a half cheek snaffel.

Now for halter obstical ...the dreaded hula hoop
default_new_shocked.gif
what is the best way to train for this? I used a bicicyle tire before to practice at home then graduated to a small thin car tire, what are some of the methods you have used? John Lyons approach to soft pressure -release on the hip and shoulder worked like a charm for me for the side stepping, does anyone have any training tips ? for in hand showing? I have found so many great tips on grooming health, feeding , cleaning etc..This forum is GREAT!
default_risa8.gif
default_risa8.gif
default_risa8.gif
default_risa8.gif
default_risa8.gif
default_risa8.gif
default_risa8.gif
default_risa8.gif
default_risa8.gif
default_risa8.gif
default_risa8.gif
default_risa8.gif