Showing in AMHA color class

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am taking several of my minis to the ky state fair to show this year in August. This will only be my second show. I'm trying to figure out who is the best one or couple to show in multi color. I have a weanling colt, yearling colt, 7 year old mare and 5 year old mare. I put pictures below.

Little Cedar Foolish Ice - 7 year old Bay Tobiano Mare.

Bop's Rebel Diesel on Fire - Weanling Black Pinto Colt, grandson of Sid's Rebel and NFC's Fire and Ice

Bop's Mystic Painted Storm - Yearling Silver Dapple Sabino/Splash Colt

roxypic5.JPG

Dieselreg1.JPG

dieselreg6.JPG

Clipped-4.JPG

Clipped-5.JPG

roxypic4.jpg

Im going to say the bay pinto as she is fairly evenly marked on both sides, has bright color, sharp contrast.

The black and white is very stricking, but I think the silver and white with the bald face will do really well in multi color classes. I used to have a red & white bald faced splash and she always did very well in multi color. May I recommend to not shave her face real close on the white, and if needed to put some baby powder on it to brighten it up. I don't think the judges like seeing a pink face when it should be white.

I think the bay pinto has the best color
default_smile.png

wow the bay pinto mares color just pops! that's the one I would recommend, all 3 are nice enough to go.

IMO Color classes are a crap shoot.You can have 3 judges and all 3 will pick different horses for different placings.IMO it is 1 of the most subjective classes for judging.It really is all about the preference of the judge.Some prefer blk&white, some won't even consider an Appaloosa(no matter how nice)I've seen others place a pink and grey(a blk&white clipped waaay too short and the day before the show)IMO it is a really hard class to predict.You pays your money and takes your chances.

I agree with Bevann...it all depends on the judge. I've taken my silver bay into 3 solid color classes this year and she's placed as low as 6th, as high as 1st and in one show, didn't place at all!!

My young friend who is helping me this year, begged to put in my smokey black 5 yr old mare this past show. In the past, her solid color was just not inspiring enough I guess so she didn't do well so I didn't bother anymore. But the whole idea of having this young lady out there with me is to give her the ability to enjoy this whole process and I went ahead and entered her into the class this last show. She came in 4th after my silver bay (her full sister) took 1st. Here's her pic from Sunday:

e0f812f8-f795-4a79-a635-c89b94143231.jpg

My sorrel and white pinto has rec'd nothing this year, but we're still going to try the last two classes. It's good practice for them both.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not trying to be negative here, but I've been attending the KY state fair for almost 12 years now, and the color class is NOT judged fairly. They have the same two judges every year, and they are friends with the members who are showing.. although it is always great to try, all I can do is wish you luck, and see you there... Your silver dapple colt will be your best bet, by far.

Latest posts

Back