Showing horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PromiseAcres

Reaction score
Ok I am 5 mos pregnant and on June 8th I plan on showing my yearly colt at a local open show. I was hoping not be showing my belly so much by now... but I am. :DOH! .. So was wondering if anyone had any advice/tricks to either hide my belly... w/o too much cost. I hate going into the ring without my shirt tucked... but with my bell I don't think I'll be able to do anything else. It's kind of humerous... but I have been planning this for so long I am not going to back down now. It's just a couple of halter classes. I'd love also to hear of other "pregnant women showing their horses"

Thanks

Danielle

Ask Sanny, she showed alot when she was pregnant

Personally.....I really don't think you need to hide it at all! But thats just my opinion.
default_smile.png

The only belly the judges are going to be looking at is your horse's!
default_biggrin.png
Wear a pretty blouse and proudly show off that future competitor.

I know Nootka showed when she was pregnant with her boys.....

Leia

I say go out there and show 'em how pregnant is done! I haven't shown horses pregnant (yet, although I'm sure I will since we are currently TTC child #4!) but I have shown dogs while pregnant many a time, even pulling off a Best In Multi Breed Show just a few weeks before my due date
default_wacko.png
I will admit I was hopeful all that running around would encourage an early arrival but no luck
default_no.gif

I just wore nice comfy outfits and didn't mind showing off the belly one bit
default_wub.png
It was a lot of fun although if I hear one more judge joke about "double-handling"..... LOL

Congrats on your baby belly!!!!

Don't sweat it! I've seen all stages of pregancy out there in the ring, and as long as you're good for the activity, it's just fine.

I've even seen it at the National/World level.

With my second son, I attended 7 shows including the Western Championship Show at Reno (ugh, swollen ankles in that heat!).

With son #3, I only got to one show and that was right before he was born...he came less than a week after that show.

A friend was also showing, and she was showing right up until her son was born. No hiding about it, it is a fact of life and won't affect your placings as far as I've ever observed.

Congrats and happy showing!!!

Liz

I don't think it would affect your showing at all... unless your water broke in the show ring LOL........ I say "Go For It"!!!! Congrats... and happy foaling!!!!!!

I have a friend who has (big horses) and shows dressage. One day she was showing and when the show was over she asked her hubby to take her to the hospital. 3 hours later her daughter was born.
default_new_shocked.gif

Robin

Well this is my second sesaon being pregnant and showing. I think the best piece of advice is wear one of those belly bands you can get so there is no short falling between your tops and bottom. In the end I conceeded that I no longer looked streamlined and went to the minimalistic as much black or dark colours I could manage. I showed this way up until our National Show. Thankfully the photographer there had the good sense to crop me out. Imagine buying a photo and having to look at this http://www.findapic.co.nz/gallery2/v/alpha...F_8035.JPG.html

My only thought is you might find it a bit uncomfortable so try not to do too much and put your feet up between classes.

Thanks to everyone for all the input! It's good to hear that I'm not the only one who wants to do this no matter what! With all of your encouraging words I will go out into that ring and proudly show off both my babies!

Danielle

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

Congratulations!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_wub.png

I wore a maternity "suit" when showing PG or just black slacks and a maternity blouse. Now, I was HUGE
default_new_shocked.gif
with both kids by 5 months and Jackie Crisp, JR (brat) who was JUDGING laughed his butt off at me chasing a horse in liberty, holding my bouncing belly...of course everyone watching was laughing too. It was pretty funny.
default_new_shocked.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I say totally do it and have fun. I did 3 shows while I was pregnant. I know some people remember me at Oregon Gold. I did a full class list there and didn't really stop one bit. Keep plenty of snacks handy and rest when you can. And of course go potty when ya gotta go.. I wore nice slacks and a bigger show jacket..The same one I still wear now I just have had it taken in some.
default_smile.png
Lots of people show while pregnant. My best friend is showing Level 2 dressage and her baby boy is due here at the end of June. But totally where what is comfy for you
default_smile.png

OH yeah I totally forgot to say CONGRATS on your new competitor hopefully. :D Can't wait to meet him/her :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I showed at a performance show last year about a month before I was due. I "jogged" the jumping courses and showed in cart. I just worn a nice black shirt and a show jacket over that. The jacket couldn't be buttoned/zipped, but it looked nice. And I was about ready to pop! So you'll do good. Just be sure your horse can set up on his own becuase you don't need to be bending down. I couldn't get back up!
default_biggrin.png
I also showed just a few months pregnant the summer before, but I wasn't really showing then. Just go and have fun! You'll have lots of people worrying about you. Just keep the hospital in mind if something should go awry.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back