Showing Horses!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Palomino~

Reaction score
Hello, I hope everyone is doing great!

I have just sent a deposit on a ADORBLE little colt and I beleive he will be show quality! And I would LOVE to show him(and maybe my mare if I could get her into shape). But I do not know NOTHING about showing!! My question is were do I even begin to learn? How do I learn how to groom them ECT.? I have been to two horse shows!! The first on we watched for about 10 miniutes and spent about and hour looking at all the horses! The second show we probably watched about 15 miniutes and spent about another hour and fourty five miniutes! I am planning on going to I think three more horse shows and this time I am going to spend about 1 hour watching them show and about 20 miniutes looking at all the horses! Any help is appreciated!!
default_smile.png
Thanks!! and when I transfer my new colt to my name will I become a member? What do I need to do to sign up so I can show? I think the only shows that are close is here AMHR so I probably wont be doing to much AMHA!

Thanks!!

-Gage-

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I don't show much either, but you are doing the best thing you can to learn. Watch, listen, and learn
yes.gif
. Ask lots of questions, but don't bother the people who are getting ready to show, just talk politely to those that aren't busy, listen more than you talk and most people will be happy to help you out. Watch as other people prepare their horses for the ring and see what they do and use to groom their horses. Of course having your horse in shape, and well mannered will be a bigger part than the grooming at first. So I'd start by working the horses to get them in shape and listen to your cues so that when you get to the ring they behave like you ask.

When you transfer your mini into your name you will not automatically become a member, but you can go onto the AMHR website and download a form to fill out and send in with $40 (I think, but that might be wrong) the form will have the $ amount you need to send. Then you will be a member and you can show
aktion033.gif
The biggest thing to remember is that you are there to have fun
saludando.gif

[SIZE=14pt]You will have to pay your dues to become a member to transfer your baby so that will be handled. Go to as many shows as you can and watch. Find someone who is doing well at the show and see if AFTER they are done they can answer some questions and help you out a bit. Having a mentor and even working for them in exchange for learning from them is ideal.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Thanks Lyn and Voodoo!!

I appreiciate that, I will give it a try!! I would love to here more of your opinions so please dont be afraid to post!!

-Gage-

When I went to see my very first quarter horse show when I was a kid, I admit that I didn't have a clue as to what was going on. I sat there like a bump on a log watching horses going round and round.

I had no idea of what they were being judged on.

I just liked to sit there and pick the "pretty one"

After I did this a few times, I finally managed to make some horsey friends who clued me in.

You need to get with someone that can sit with you and explain the classes to you. Have someone that is knowledgable go with you to a show and sit with you and explain each class as it is called and find out what the judge is looking for in each class. I think learning conformation is the hardest thing to do.

Spend as much time as you can going to the shows to watch. Go to lots of them.

Then, see what appeals to you: did you like watching the halter classes? Those are what I like to call the "lead em and feed em classes". Would you be interested in just going in the ring and standing there and presenting your horse? Or would you like something with a bit more action to it?

Or were you loving the driving, or the obstacles?

Or do you love it all?

What did you like the most and which type of class do you feel you would like to compete in?

Then seek out a trainer or a mentor to help you in your purchase.

For beginning, such as driving for instance, I think I would like to go with a horse that has already been shown in the ring and is trained.

Gage where do you live?? it would be wonderful if you could buddy up with another farm and see how they train and condition and groom at the farm vs a show. Then watch how handlers do their stuff in the ring etc. Its all the stuff that happens before a horse gets to a show where you really learn.

Can you get some advice / help from the people you are buying the horse from? If not is there someone in the area that you can pay or help with chores in exchange for training?................ We sold 3 horses to a local family last year. We are going with them to local county fairs & helping them as they learn. Of course prior to that we had to monitor their horses weight, teach them how to exercise their horses, then how to body clip. Lots of our time but our horses have a wonderful home & that is what matters to us. Plus we have become friends which is a bonus.

Join a local club, we give clinics at ours to help all the newcomers great place to learn. Also learn by doing. Just jump in and learn from your mistakes. Ask the trainers they are very helpful.

I have an informational page on my website called "showing for newbies" that may help you.

Andrea

kaykay said:
Gage where do you live?? it would be wonderful if you could buddy up with another farm and see how they train and condition and groom at the farm vs a show.  Then watch how handlers do their stuff in the ring etc.  Its all the stuff that happens before a horse gets to a show where you really learn.
422509[/snapback]

I Live in Coalville, Utah! I have e-mailed everyone around me! I am freinds with a few people who show or have showed so I will be sure for them to help me out!!

Thanks everyone for your info!! This has helped me sooooooo much and HOPFULLY I can show next year!! I am sure one of my freinds would let me help clip there horses and they can show me how to do everything!!

I think I would probably want to show halter and liberty (but I want to do halter first before I start liberty:) when I go to the next show I will ask the people I know there help me out and see if I can learn this:)

I have seen a few video's on clipping miniatures, are those any good?

Thanks again!

-Gage-

Last edited by a moderator:
I would go and volunteer to groom for someone. the person would appreciate it and you would learn a ton!!! If you were here you could tag along with me!

Latest posts

Back