Showing help please for relativley newbie

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverstar

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I wondered whether someone could explain to me how to get my mini to set his neck correctly when standing?? I can get him to stretch ok but i dont know how to get him to hold his neck properly i.e the arched look, so he looks like he's holding himself and not just stretched.

hope this makes sense
default_wacko.png
default_wacko.png

Do you use any bait, like treats, when you are asking him to strecth out his neck, so he "likes" to work that neck? Also I work on stretching the neck with out them leaning, almost like making them back off and then come forward with that neck.

Do you use any bait, like treats, when you are asking him to strecth out his neck, so he "likes" to work that neck? Also I work on stretching the neck with out them leaning, almost like making them back off and then come forward with that neck.

I havent used much bait as i was worried he might start nipping. I do use some grass if we are in a grass ring. Thats what i meant really, how to stretch his neck without just leaning but i didnt know how to describe it!!

What do you use for bait and if you use treats do you feed them or just let them smell. Sorry if thats a silly question
default_wacko.png

I always use bait, any sort of bait. I have a pocket on my jacket where i keep various types of bait (peppermint treats, grass, grain and a crinkly peice of paper). My horses know that when my hand is infront of them to be up and out and show.

You could try using a crinkly peice of paper or candy wrapper. I use that on some horses and really it does not distract other handlers or their horses, its subtle quite ..just enough for my horses go to "hey what is that?".

Will he show to hay ? Try that ...it can crinkle and make noise and also get his attention. I normally bait with grain or treats and i teach them at home (with show halter on) to show to that and if they start getting lippy and grabbing for the treat i give the lead a small yank.

So you can try other things to get his attention such as hay, crinkly wrappers ext.

ALSO ...

What you could try, get something scarry such as a plastic bag (My horses prefer Walmart bags
default_smile.png
) of news paper and at home, put it infront of him so he arches his neck ext. Keep doing that and he should learn that when your hand is infront of him that he has to "show" ....that is somewhat what i do. ALSO, a little tip, i keep a peice of crinkly paper in my pocket that i cut from the INSIDE of my feed bag, that way it smells like the feed as well
default_smile.png

FlyteClipped02x.jpg

FlyteClipped01x.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back