Showing Classics in Halter

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMS Miniatures

Reaction score
I was curious do you groom classics and show them the same way as you do minis. I know that when you enter in the ring instead of waiting in line to trot you go into the center ring and they look over your horse and then they ask you to work him. Is there some sort of pattern or do they just tell you?

Thanks!

You walk straight to the rail at the judges or ring stewards instruction and then trot both ways at least 10 feet off the rail.

As for grooming, Shetlands, except at Congress, aren't often body clipped. The faces are not done up to the extreme that minis are either - not near the amount of goop or the scalping.

Lewella said:
You walk straight to the rail at the judges or ring stewards instruction and then trot both ways at least 10 feet off the rail. 
As for grooming, Shetlands, except at Congress, aren't often body clipped.  The faces are not done up to the extreme that minis are either - not near the amount of goop or the scalping.

479096[/snapback]

WOW! I am always used to clipping minis for every show...what a break this would be! I just have to learn how to do the Modern braids....

Denise

Silversong Farm

I've been to a couple of Welsh Pony shows, aren't the Shetlands prepared similarly?

In other words, just a little bit of trimming on the face to "clean it up" and perhaps the feathering on the legs? Their coats were naturally shed off and groomed......?

MA

Hi,

We clip our shetlands like our minis. If not, they grow too much hair and we can't clean them up as good. Usually a week before the show is when we clip. And then we do a 40 around the eyes and muzzle, with a 40 in the ears.

Also, wanted to let you know that in the halter class, after you trot both directions, you are supposed to walk straight back to the judge. This way, they can see the horse walkin to and from them. Not many people are sure of what to do most times, and so they just trot back into line.

Amanda

Ok so its walk to the rail. Trot both ways on the rail, than walk back to the judges in the line up?

Do shetlands also have the V?

I'm glad to hear they don't require as much grooming, I hate the goopy stuff for sure.

[SIZE=14pt]I showed shirley at the area 1 show and she had been clipped for Docs sale back in may.....the area 1 was in July. All I did was her bridle path, feathers, and the long hairs under her chin. Clipped her muzzle with a 40 and thats it. No V no body clip and she was a gorgeous shiny mahogany color. She is just now getting a winter coat. Bailey my suspected hackney mini sheds off fast by herself in spring. I dont show her because she is old, 16 but she would be coat ready in may without clipping.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Ok so its walk to the rail. Trot both ways on the rail, than walk back to the judges in the line up?QUOTE]
Yup, you got it for the rail work. Sometimes they do differnet "working the rail" pattern. A couple of years ago, I showed under one set of judges had us line up in the center of the ring, then walk to the rail, and then trot a half circle all the way around and then walk back into line. Most times they just have you trot both directions though.

Amanda

AAaaaarrrggghhh!!!!! You CLIP Welsh feathers!!!!
sad.gif
Uuurkk, NO WAY absolute, out of the ring with you and never show your face again, for Welsh showers in the land of the Welsh Pony and Cob.
unsure.gif
Why do you have to change such a BASIC rule?? Can't show them clipped and plaited, either, unless they are being shown as Show Ponies, and then they are ineligible for the Welsh classes! I'm not even sure a bridle space is acceptable, on B's - I know it's not on A's and Cobs- no plaiting, no braiding, NO clipping!! They are Mountain and Moorland and must be shown au naturel.
smile.gif

patches showed for 2 years and was never body clipped. She sheds off so beautifully no way would i mess with that. We just pay close attention to the ears and muzzle cleaning those up and the fetlocks. Im kinda worried though with so many AMHA handlers coming into the shetland circuit that people are going to start razoring shetlands. I sure hope not

I hope not too kay! I for one hate the razored, plastic look!

At most shows the ring steward will instruct you to come back to the line up but not straight into where you were before - usually you finish that second direction on the rail and the judges are already looking at the next horse in the line up. Showing in an ASPC show in halter the only way the rules allow a horse to be judged is by walking away from the judge as the judges instruction and trotting both ways on the rail.

Amanda, what bloodlines do you have that you need to clip your Shetlands for their hair to lay down? I breed Foundation ponies and I don't own a single one that doesn't shed out to a nice smooth coat that does not need to be clipped.

lewella

i couldnt believe how many amha trainers and owners were talking about owning shetlands at amha worlds. Which is great but i just dont want their grooming to transfer over. I know that sounds selfish but i like the shetlands just the way they are!

kay

Hi

To all who are interested in learning to show Classic's or Moderns, or even Miniatures , the Trainers are hosting a Clinic at this years Convention . We will be giving out door prizes and samples of things we have been collecting during the year.. The two main speakers will be Amber Montgomery and Belinda Bagby. It is totally free and I think will be held on Wed. evening . Look forward to seeing everyone there..

As for all the AMHA trainers going to show Shetlands, well I have been a trainer for AMHA & AMHR horses for years, and I am the biggest fan of NO SHAVING IN THE SHETLANDS THERE IS !! Matter of fact I told a few if they started shaving we would try and get a rule againist it.. The best way to handle that is for the judges to not go over board using the plastic horses over the well groomed horses..

The first thing I tell any of my friends that say they are going to start showing : shetlands is WE DO NOT SHAVE THEIR FACES ! So maybe if everyone that is involved and really feels this way lets them know how we feel we can stop it before it starts !!
aktion033.gif

[SIZE=14pt]Im with Belinda, all for the not shaving... we do take off whiskers tho. Makes it easier for a vision impaired person to get her pony ready! Shirley is happier too![/SIZE]

Lyn

Last edited by a moderator:
belinda

Im so glad you agree about not razoring or clipping heads closely!! I think if we all stick together we can be sure this doesnt happen. we have only shown shetlands and minis a couple years and are still VERY green but i just dont want to see this happen. Id love to go to that clinic at convention. i have to look into that!!

Amanda, what bloodlines do you have that you need to clip your Shetlands for their hair to lay down? I breed Foundation ponies and I don't own a single one that doesn't shed out to a nice smooth coat that does not need to be clipped.
Hi Lewella,

Its any bloodlines of shetland ponies up here. Although last year, I showed a classic mare who could go three weeks without being clipped, but then it got hard to blend the face clips by then. It doesn't matter what we do to the shetlands up here, they still grow a bunch of hair in, and then look funny if we don't clip.

Regarding the razoring, I don't think it will be possible as the shetlands seem to keep to the rule of keeping the horse natural. I had a judge tell me that even a little make up on the horse was too much and that I am not supposed to use my tic tac container for ears.
rolleyes.gif
Plus, most shetlands would loook funny with their hair shaved off, and for the ones with the hackney heads.....well I don't think it would help them any.

Amanda

Latest posts

Back