Showing an older mare?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longhorngal

Reaction score
Ok, I posted on here the other day about breeding my 18 y/o mare. Since she is probably a maiden mare I don't think we'll do that. So, I'm wondering about letting the kids show her in showmanship or hunter class or something. I have no idea if she's been shown but she is easy to handle, has a lot of get up and go, and she LOVES to jump.

One thing I noticed when looking at her papers the other day-they say she is 33.75". No way is she that, probably 36". I don't have a measuring stick but I know my little guy is 32.5 and she's more than a couple inches taller than he is. Would they just measure her at the show and I would have that changed on her papers, is that how it works? Also, I haven't ever changed her to my name yet-should I say anything about the incorrect height when I do or not?

Thanks,

Cara

When you do the transfer to your name - you include her height at the time of the purchase.

If she is AMHA - being 36" will cause her to have her papers revoked.

If she is AMHR - being 36" will not be a problem.

Be sure and measure her - standing square - on a flat surface - with her feet trimmed - at the last hair of the mane.

JJay

Yeah, what Bluerocket said!
default_yes.gif
:

Since you don't have a measuring stick, just do the best you can with, say, a yardstick and a level at the top (have someone help you if possible). It doesn't matter if your horse's height as measured at a show isn't exactly what it says on the papers, since they do sometimes tend to measure differently. The main thing is to be as accurate as you can, especially since her current stated size and the size you think she actually is changes her height category.

Have fun showing her with the children!
default_smile.png

Well there is sometimes some growth after they are brought permanent but due to the fact that they have 33 1/4" I fear (not accusing) that this gal is AMHA and they didn't want to have her go over. I could be wrong and she just grew after going permanent.

I don't know about that(AMHA)-I only have AMHR papers. I am her 3rd owner since 2004. The last lady had her transferred to her name, I have the transfer sheet from the owner before her-oh wait, that says AMHA so I guess she is and that says the same height. So, the last owner only changed her over to AMHR because of the height probably.

I sure didn't measure her at the time I picked her up. She was free and I just wanted her for the heck of it. I don't even have a transfer form filled out from the lady I got her from though I feel like she would fill one out for me. What the heck do I do now?!

Cara

Even if this is the case and this girl is over her AMHA papers this does not mean you cant have a whole lot of fun with the kids at local and fair shows dont let this discourage you from taking them out to show.No matter what her size you will have fun in local and fair shows with her.

I don't know about that(AMHA)-I only have AMHR papers. I am her 3rd owner since 2004. The last lady had her transferred to her name, I have the transfer sheet from the owner before her-oh wait, that says AMHA so I guess she is and that says the same height. So, the last owner only changed her over to AMHR because of the height probably.

I sure didn't measure her at the time I picked her up. She was free and I just wanted her for the heck of it. I don't even have a transfer form filled out from the lady I got her from though I feel like she would fill one out for me. What the heck do I do now?!

Cara

I would ask the person you got your mare from if she would sign a transfer form for her AMHR papers. Explain to her that you would like to let your kids try showing her. Hopefully she'll do that. Then, you should get the yardstick and measure her, as was described above and when you transfer her into your name, you can fill out the height that you measured. (Hopefully the previous owner won't fill in that line. I never do as I always allow the new owners to measure their own horse. That way there's no questions raised.)

MA

Thanks a lot for the help and advice everyone. Yes, we will still have fun with her whether we can get her papers straightened out or not. I have to say the show bug has really bit me since going to the Nationals this week though!

Cara

Back