Showing AMHA is it really that bad?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

kaykay

I was excited that with our move to ohio i would finally be able to show in some AMHA shows. But now im not so sure. Everyone i have talked to says you can walk in the ring in AMHA with a national grand champion but if you arent a known handler you will get the gate no matter how nice your horse is. These are people i respect alot and have been in showing for a very long time.

is it really that bad??

Ive honestly never felt that my horses were placed wrong in AMHR except for one class in 3 years. I never felt the judges held it against me that i was new or unknown.

Im feeling kinda discouraged and im not even moved yet

Well, I've never shown AMHA because at this point, all the AMHA shows are too far away but I do know that you can sabogage (sp?) yourself if you decide you've got a disadvantage before you go into the ring. Also, doesn't AMHA have an extensive ammy program?

Everyone i have talked to says you can walk in the ring in AMHA with a national grand champion but if you arent a known handler you will get the gate no matter how nice your horse is.
Last year we only showed AMHA with Tango. He placed exactly where he should have each time. Except maybe once, and to be honest, the 2 horses above him were pretty much the same quality, so the 3 could have been placed any number of ways and been correct.

In my opinion, yes the known handlers do win a lot, BUT, they do have some of the best horses, so they should be winning.

But as far as being an unknown, just to name a few, Connie B., Lisa G. and Mistyrose have national champion horses and when they did win, no, they were not well known at the time of their wins. I know there are more examples out there, so just from showing last year, I would say if you have the best horse you win, not if you have the best handler. But too, having a well know trainer at the end of the lead doesn't hurt anything.

Of the 6 shows I attended last year, I have to say I agreed with all the placings in all the classes I saw, and I think I can be objective as my horse was only in 2 classes per show.

If AMHA shows are closer for you in Ohio, I say give it a shot. At worst you will continue to learn and meet some great people!

And you have to join MAMHC now too!
biggrin.gif

Kaykay,

Welcome to Ohio!!!!! We show AMHA and, the people are warm, wonderful and good hearted!! Its FUN!!!

I am not a big name or name brand kinda girl - just an old Ammy out there doing her thing...and, one my very, very own have taken two of our horses to 2 national and world championship titles...and, multiple top tens.

You can do it for sure
yes.gif
And, Jill is right...we have an AWESOME Ammy program...I think you would really like!!
aktion033.gif

I hope you LOVE Ohio...its really a wonderful place to live...and, come see us some time...we live in good ole dayton!!!!
biggrin.gif

Lis

We show ammy in Ohio too, and it is a tough division for sure, the horses are beautifully turned out and conditioned, and for the most part the placings are right where they should be. The great thing about Ohio is you also have plentiful AMHR shows as well as AMHA.

If you come to the world show, come to (I hope) Cattle Barn 4 where you will see the MAMHC friendliness in action. We all pool our entries and send them in together so we are stabled as a group.

Politics aren't that common in the show world as much as sour grapes. Face it, those professionals get to pick and choose the best, work full time to get the horses in perfect condition, for heavens sake, they do it for a living and they wouldn't be making a living if they weren't good. It is their job to win. That said, the well known face will help get you a better look, because that well known person is KNOWN for having GOOD horses. We are not above using a well known driving trainer to head for us in the ring in driving classes. Heck, it sure can't hurt....
rolleyes.gif
Sometimes it helps!

One thing to keep in mind is that many of the judges who are hired for AMHA show also judge the AMHR shows. If they had a tendancy to pin just pros in A shows, don't you think they'd do the same in R shows?

Went to watch my first AMHA show for the first time in a long time and I think IMO there is quite a bit difference.

One fact some people state is the people aren't near as friendly as AMHR. WRONG. Same level of friendliness as AMHR.

IMO I see quite the difference of horses from AMHA to AMHR. Can't explain it you just have to watch a halter class yourself.

I think AMHA is also alot more professional in presenting there animals than in AMHR. Not saying at all that AMHR isn't professional, but when you watch a halter class ALOT of them just show with a wide noseband and nothing on the sides but conchos. There horses are groomed very nicely and fit, and the handlers are dressed nice.

I think IMO AMHA is real tough competiton either you have "it" or you don't in the business. I would love to show at an AMHA show one day but I have alot of work to do with my horses before I go lol. With AMHR atleast I feel like I have an chance.

Millstone Farm said:
One thing to keep in mind is that many of the judges who are hired for AMHA show also judge the AMHR shows.  If they had a tendency to pin just pros in A shows, don't you think they'd do the same in R shows?
456581[/snapback]

That is very true
aktion033.gif
My good friend has both cards AMHR And AMHA And so is his ex wife holds both cards....

As just a few weeks ago there was a AMHA show in Rochester Minn. And I rode with him just to see the AMHA horses even though when I had minis they were AMHR and WC.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have shown at some AMHA and I found them fun and competetive ( just like AMHR). I am just a ammy - owner/breeder/trainer, and took several supremes at 3 of the 4 shows, actually 9 out of them.

The deal with judging as said, professionals get paid to pick good horses to train and to condition them to look their best - so they WILL Have good horses. But my thing with judges, is it is not AMHA is different than AMHR, for me anyway there are just some judges that pick people. The thing to do is to keep a list if you would rather not show under, I have been showing for 7 years and I only have a list of 4 people that I would rather not show under.

The only reason I don't show AMHA right now like I do AMHR is that I am still in college and at this point can't pull off missing a week for AMHR Nationals and then turn around and miss another for AMHA - therefore the reason I don't spend my money going to AMHA show all summer. I have had horses qualify in just one show the last three years, but couldn't pull off making it to World yet. Though I would LOVE to get in that ammy program and futurity.

Rather an inflamatory headline, don't you think?

I think you are setting yourself up for a fall before even getting out of the starting gate! As others have said, most mini judges hold both cards. The days are LONG gone where one could pull their horse out of the pasture, whip a clipper over the bridle patch and fetlocks, and walk into the ring and expect to place. ......in BOTH registry's shows. It just took some of the 'R' shows held in remote areas a little longer to catch up on grooming/showing techniques. I remember going to AMHR shows in northern MN - some horses were shown in stable halters, LONG beards, LONG fetlocks, mohawk bridle paths, hay pot-bellies, and a manure stain or two. And then those people would whine because their horses didn't place, but they didn't "take a lesson". Needless to say, they are no longer showing. Yup...we've THANKFULLY come a long ways from those days.

There are a few more trainers on the "A" circuit...and they are getting paid to take a horse, know how to present it, and win with it. So...a good trainer will NOT accept a mediocre horse. His/her reputation is at stake. Don't knock them for winning...watch and consider them an unpaid teacher.

We just showed at the Kentucky State Fair. Several big trainers were in my filly's open class which was before her amateur class. No way was Lee going to beat the horses that just placed in front of him in the open class with trainers even though they were now being shown by an amateur.............................. BTW, several years ago under a first time miniature horse judge Lee & another amateur got first & second in an open filly class at the tough & well know Julep Cup show in Kentucky. Some of the trainers were mumbling that the judge didn't know what she was doing. Lee told them not to worry that by the afternoon the judge would know who the trainers were & sure enough..................................... It can be done but you are going to have to have one heck of a horse & you are going to have to condition & work hard to make sure you are & have done everything you could at the level that the top trainer would have done........ Lee has shown in the open classes since we started in 1986. At times we felt that our horse was better than the one in front of it being shown by the trainer but at other times we felt the placings were fair & sometimes horses were equal but the trainer came in first (just the way it is) ................ If & when you are beaten, look at the horses in front of yours & honestly evaluate their conformation minus the handler. Only until you are actually involved can you make an honest evaluation................................... Wanted to add that we have shown several R shows & it happens there also.

Last edited by a moderator:
well first my opinion is in any show the placings depend on that moment in time where the judge is in front of your horse.. doesnt have to mean it is always a better horse but that it was presented better to hide flaws and accentuate good things that is what a trainer does and what they get paid for and takes years to be able to learn to do.

I didnt show AMHA in CA simply due to $. It was way expensive and would cost close to 100 bucks for one class just wouldnt work for me when I could (and did) show R for half the price

new_shocked.gif
Sorry. Thought for a min. I was suddenly back in dog showing. The old Handlers take all the wins, problem. Deja vue. Yes it's true known handlers do better in the ring even if their stock isn't quite as good. Because the judges see them often and they get to know the type of stock they show. [And poor Erica doesn't realize SHE is one of the well known Handlers] But so could you be, if you just get out there and do it. when the judge stsrts to look up and there you are again you will be a well known handler. Just takes time. That said ,you must also know that you have to put more time into getting your stock ready to show. Because the whole well known thing an go both ways. Erica is well known because her stock reflects the time she spends gettin it ready to show and are always on and always beautiful. But someone who shows a lot can be well known for showing not so good stock, still well known but for the wrong reasons. When the judges start seeing your face often they will start to reconize you. I started showing the same time some of the top handlers and some of the judges themselves did . After a while I started to win more and more. Just get out there have fun and get known then YOU will be one of those well known handlers other people can complain about. But first first you must do it for the love of it and because you want to. Long winded ,sorry, but this is a very old button with me thought I'd lost it long ago.

AMHA shows are a blast...the people are great...the judges are typically darn good....the real difference I see is cost to enter.......in fact the only miniature shows I ever attended as a spectator or helper eeegads even got drug into the ring once....was AMHA...there weren't many AMHR shows in the early 1990's and the B horses could be had for pennies compared to the A's....if I had known then what I know now ...well I might still be more involved with a bit different of a herd
wink.gif
wink.gif

For the record I have watched on more than one occasion a well known judge who also trains and show's Arabians....almost never pin the arabian looking mini's he seems to like the stockier more welsh looking mini........

I would not worry about it at all. I show atleast a couple of times in Ohio every year and all of the people are very friendly and inviting. As far as politics go you will always find that to some degree. As long as you show high quality horses consistently, eventually you will have no problem getting around the best known trainers. I showed as a youth and always did well in the youth class. I then took a break for 3 years and went to collage. Last year was my first year back showing and you could definitely see politics come in to play at times. I did very well at shows which big trainers did not attend, ended up with over 20 Supremes last year. But by the time nationals and regionals came around, I couldn't get looked at very much at all. But the whole year I showed my horses to the best of my ability and never cut any corners. I always was very professional. We just got home from this years Regionals a couple of weeks ago. All of my horses placed top ten in their classes, with 5 of them top five, two of which where Eastern Regional Champions. These where all in large open halter classes against well known professional trainers. We also won Champion Get of Sire. It all shows that it doesn't take long for the judges too notice who is really serious about this and focused, and they definitely appreciate it.

We also showed in OH a couple of times this year. We had a great time and of course at both shows we went to so did all of the big trainers in the east. Thats ok, we held our own in the open classes but we concentrate on the amateur classes. Our Sr Gelding has beaten several Nationals Champions this year so it can be done, but its ok to place second to an already titled horse. We also won Grand Champion Three By One Owner at Eastern Regionals and our sr gelding went Reserve Grand in Amateur Sr Geldings Level 1. This is the first year showing for the gelding and really the first year for my daughter. We have had a great time and look forward to both Nationals and World. My best answer for you is to get out there and try a couple of shows and see what you think yourself, but you have to go with an open mind. If its not for you, then you will know from your own experience instead of heresay. Good luck I hope you have a blast showing.

jean i wasnt trying to be inflammatory. Im just kinda blunt and to the point. No beating around the bush here. Thats just my personality.

I do realize the pros work very hard and do this 24/7. Im not saying they never deserve their wins by any means. Remember i show against pros in AMHR too LOL.

Its just been kinda shocking to me how people react when i tell them I want to try showing amha. They just shake their heads and tell me i have no idea the huge difference between an amha show and an amhr show. Everything to how the competitors act to the judging. These are people that are very well known on the AMHR circuit but dont show their own horses in AMHA--they put them with a trainer as they feel an unknown handler cannot place in amha.

Oh well ill give it a try anyway! i like to keep an open mind. I wonder sometimes if its just the old amha vs amhr thing. For sure people that only show amhr are going to have a bias against amha shows. Thats just human nature.

Greenwood id love to meet you when we get moved!!

Kay

You get hooked up with Lisa Greenwood at a show you won't care who wins, LOL she is by far the happiest person I have ever met at a show. Always smiling and just happy to be there it seems. But there are alot of great people in that area and if not for the snow in the winter I would love to be up there. Good luck with your move and just go with the idea that you are going to have a great time.

Ahhhhhhh, Karen you are the SWEETEST person...you made my day!! Thank you for such kind words.

Actually, for those of you that haven't met Karen and her Daughter Samantha...you are missing out...they both are the nicest, sweetest most sincere wonderful people you will ever meet...and, have beautiful, awesome horses!!!

Kaykay...we would love to have you anytime!!!! And, Karen we would love to have you too!!!
yes.gif

lis

GREENWOODMINIS said:
Ahhhhhhh, Karen you are the SWEETEST person...you made my day!! Thank you for such kind words.
Actually, for those of you that haven't met Karen and her Daughter Samantha...you are missing out...they both are the nicest, sweetest most sincere wonderful people you will ever meet...and, have beautiful, awesome horses!!!

456908[/snapback]

I 2nd that
wink.gif
yes.gif

Latest posts

Back