Showing a Miniature Horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil Eowyn

Reaction score
Hey,

I bought my first miniature horse November 13, 2011. I decided that I would really like to show Eowyn (my mini) next summer (2013). I have showed my horse (non mini) in showmanship but that was mandatory for 4-H and I didn't really know what I was doing XD.

So if any of you could tell me what you do before and during shows/during the pattern. (like what side to stand on and when to switch sides) When do I give her a bath before the show. How do I keep her clean (and her tail) How do I trim her forelock and how far back do I shave her mane? How do I keep her mane on one side her neck? What are some improvements I can make on her to make her look good? Any other tips?

Thank you so much. =)

I was going to post pics of her but they won't upload so Here's her description;

She is a 2 year old filly, shes a brown and white pinto. (She's in my avatar) She is 34 inches tall. She has all white hooves. Her mane and tail are all white and her forelock is brown. I will buy her a show halter soon. I named her Lil' Eowyn Irene--is that fine for her show name? (Shes not registered but she has papers to be registered) I know its a cheesy name but I feel like I can't change it now XD

Thank you so much for your help and any info would be great. =)

Amy

Amy-that's a nice name. Are her papers for AMHR registration? You can get on the AMHR/ASPC website and download and print off forms you might need like a membership and ameteur form to join if you want to try showing AMHR shows in future. Also, you can get a rulebook. You will find information on Showmanship patterns and how to do them in there; along with the many classes and rules and equipment needed for AMHR shows-it could help you with open shows also. I am sure others here will give you some more great information too. Have fun with your mini!!!
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know where you're located but find a local mini club or go to a show and see if anyone will help you. We can explain but it so much easier for someone to show you. I'm sure you can find someone that will help. I know I would if you were around here (Wisconsin). By the way showmanship for mini is the same as for a big horse in 4-H (we only use the 2 sides not the 4 quarters to step around for the judge).

To get her mane to lay over on one side, you can braid it after her bath when she is wet- or do it now.... and leave it braided on the side you want... eventually it will stay.

You might want to check out the information on our website under "4-H" where there is a write-up on showmanship. There are different rules for AMHR than for AMHA though in terms of when you move in relation to the judge when he/she is inspecting your animal though. AMHR uses the "half" system while AMHA and everyone else I know uses the "quarter" system which is explained on our website.

You can also do a search on here (and/or Google) where you can find lots of information on showing and showmanship. I found some videos which were helpful to our 4-Hers too. A number of other miniature horse farm websites have helpful information too.

I agree with getting with a local club. When you are showing in an organization thier rules will be first followed then anything not specified by thier rules will be covered by your horses registered rules. For example, I show my mini's in Pinto which has different rules than AMHA or AMHR. So I have to follow the Pinto rules first. It would be hard for us to tell you all the rules if you are in an organization that we are not familiar with. And usually you will find someone within the organization that will be happy to help you figure it all out. Do you know what type of shows you will be doing with your miniature? If it is 4-H you should have a leader that would help you. Each state has its own rules for 4-H as well....or it did when I was showing .....which I refuse to say how long ago that was!!!

Hello and thank you for all your answers--

I'm not in 4-H anymore, and I was going to join a club buts its over bible study so I can't join.

I was just planning on going to local shows, but do I have to be apart of a club to do so? Thanks!

No you dont have to be part of a club to show- however it's a wonderful way to meet others with the same interests as you that could be very helpful to increasing your knowledge, etc... in the world of Miniatures. Great way to find out about what is going on in your area too with activities, and many many other things.

I show both the AMHR and a open circuit my trainer puts on.

And for the open shows its like you do with a quarter horse or any other horse...but at AMHR like they said I found out its halfs which is sooo much easier for minis....
default_smile.png

Have fun...I showed my 2 miniatures last year at open shows and they are so fun..I have to keep reminding myself when to go to the other side and what not but its lots of fun.
default_smile.png

I am new to the AMHR world myself and am grabbing at all the new info I can get...minis are a blast...I have ridden and shown riding horses all my life and now this next year I am mainly showing 3 miniatures.

Have fun!!

Great words of encouragement Sonrise- I love the Minis (used to have full sized and POA's) Love riding but I tell you the Minis are so fun to work with and so smart- and driving is a blast.

Have fun and enjoy and learn what you can at your shows too- hopefully observing and maybe some folks there wont mind if you 'pick their brain' while there showing, LOL

Some judges will even give you pointers. I love when they do that..I have had that happen during Showmanship classes at the open shows.
default_smile.png
And yes watch other ppl show. I do that before every class to make sure I have the pattern down for showmanship or riding classes if there is a certain pattern. I showed my miniature in 2 shows after I bought him and it was his 1st and 2nd show ever and I even had another horse there and the last one I had 3 but it seemed less stressful and more fun with the miniatures..but maybe that is me because I have a hyper quarter horse....lol. But I totally can't wait to show AMHR next year. My young gelding is coming along nicely and I might just put him in another class cause he keeps surprising me.

Never give you and practice...practice...and even if you don't win or place in the class you get a class and experience for your horse and you under your belt.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back