Showing a mini with underbite + bit Q...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlenicker

Reaction score
Mini's with an underbite, what classes can they take part in?

These minis will not be bred and are only intended for backyard pleasure and light showing for fun
default_smile.png

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure they check bites for regular halter, so wouldn't place very high (or possibly not at all); but you might be able to do showmanship. Then, I think most other classes should be fine, as long as they are comfortable with the required tack.

How bad is the overbite?

Not sure, site unseen, but ive been told its not bad at all.

I do have pics, shes really beautiful...can't tell exteriorly that she has an underbite.

Just my opinion, and I don't show ..... When people show their minis don't they take the best example of the breed ? The registries have "standards" that outline the qualities that a miniature horse should possess, so it might be a good idea to read up and see what it says about the bite.

I say keep looking, you can find a close to perfect mini, be patient : )

I'm pretty sure we're getting this one, shes a perfect match for my mare. I have no goal of winning shows, just want to have fun. She is mostly intended as a pasture pal for my mare. We just like to get off the farm for fun with the family
default_smile.png

From a judging point of view - the miniature standards are pretty clear about under bite or overbite being a major fault if it is more than a half tooth width, BUT that only applies to halter. Any other class would be fine because bite checks are not used.

If you wanted to show her halter anyway - How I would score her, on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being perfect conformation, any miniature horse with a bad bite would be knocked down to a 6 off the bat, not including any other faults that the horse has.

The under bite is a common trait of the dwarfs, and I think that is part of why AMHA's stand on it is so harsh.

Thanks 2minus4, im pretty set on getting her, not for show purposes, I was initially looking for a horse as a companion, she sounds like the perfect match for my mare...however we do enjoy getting off the farm, I have no goal of winning, just purely for pleasure, but I wanted to make sure it wouldnt be a big deal in the local mini shows. I just wondered if there were classes where the underbite wouldnt matter and personality and agility would be judged over confirmation flaws et...
default_smile.png
Unfortunately, it IS a big deal in Miniature horse halter classes. It can knock her right out of the placings. I know you say you just want to have fun, but it gets rather discouraging when you don't place.

There are no classes judged on personality in rated A or R shows. The only classes agility and a bad bite won't count in are performance classes.

IMHO, I, too, say look elsewhere.

What folks are saying here about breed standards and halter showing is certainly correct. With a bite issue, I wouldn't even consider showing at halter. However, for performance classes - obstacle, jumping and even driving - as long as your horse is comfortable in the equipment, you'll be judged much more on your performance than on conformation. If the under bite is the only conformation issue you're dealing with, you keep up on the dental work, and your horse is happy and comfortable performing, you'll have a great time showing in open shows, fairs, etc. Best of luck to you!

You can show any horse, but any horse might not win. I think she would do well in showmanship, like chandab said, but In halter they are paying more attention to the horse. Hopefully her under bite won't be too noticeable. Good luck! =)

I was looking at a tiny 27" pinto with a underbite. Ya cant tell from looking at her But once you open her mouth, its plainly there, and I wanted to show her.

(If my hubby said YES to owning her) She would be here and a fun lil show horse. I would never taken her into model or halter classes at the AMHR shows, BUT fair and fun shows, YES as well as other classes. She had really nice conformation otherwise despite her size and mouths. Bred her, NO! Pet and fun show horse YES!

So it depends on how you feel about it. Normally I would run and never consider owning a lil horse with that issue with the mind set to showing, But in this case I would have.
default_smile.png

(ps, she is a AMHA free horse) So no $$$ involving unless I updated her reg and put her in my name.

Your decision!

We did just as you are doing. We were looking for a safe/sane driving horse for our trails and hillls at our place. Showing wasn't our concern when we found our little gelding. When we first saw him, I checked his bite and he had a slight under bite. We immediately saw that his disposition was outstanding and exactly what we had been searching for. The owner told us he was not show quality for driving or Halter, even though she had shown him a few times in driving class. We appreciated her honesty. This horse is a gem. AND.....he is one of our AMHA show horses too. After purchasing another horse that had been shown successfully, we were going to a few shows. We really enjoy the performance classes. Decided to see if our first gelding could jump or do Halter Obstacle/Driving Obstacle. We were surprised this "unrefined" horse could jump. He's has good form, and is very smooth. He now shows in Halter/Driving Obstacle classes and Hunter class. We have done showmanship and will do driving in the Open/Schooling shows. He had good dental care his whole life and we continue it. I'm certainly not advocating buying a horse with an underbite. Just saying, glad we didn't pass this horse up because of it. He's only 4yrs old. If we have a beginner driver, he's the horse we use. His attitude is so easy going. Have fun and good luck. And be sure to still be cautious and ask all questions like you're doing.

Hi LittleNicker;

It sounds like you have the right attitude! Just because a horse has a conformational flaw doesn't mean you can't show them successfully. It is a great way to keep you and your horse working on something together. No such thing as a perfect horse! As long as you can keep the girl healthy and happy, go for it! I have a "quarter horse type" mini that I purchased a year ago, not the current ideal for mini but he's so athletic and has the right disposition. Halter is too early in the morning anyway!

It sounds like you will give that little one a great home and if you want to show her then you should go for it, I agree though just have a dentist check to make sure she can carry a bit properly if you want to train her to drive. Underbites can be shown in AMHR as they dont check teeth but AMHA does check teeth on Mares/Stallions but not geldings----this of course is just for halter, you could easily show either A or R in performance. I think you would enjoy Halter Obstacle, Liberty, Showmanship, or any of the more fun classes with your little girl! Just take her out and have fun!

Edited to add: I noticed that you say the bite is supposed to barely be off....for halter AMHA does allow teeth to be off by "half a tooth" if I remember right, would have to find it in the rulebook to be sure.

Thanks everyone! great feed back. No this will be her life home and she will never be bred. Far too many good babys out there to risk breeding a mare with a jaw flaw
default_smile.png

Thats why they are looking for a new home for her, they are an upscale show home and have no intention of breeding her and want her to go somewhere where she will get lots of attention and TLC.

Goodness, of course you can show her. The ONLY classes you would be not able to do well in is the halter classes. I have two horses with bad bites (bought that way, not part of my breeding). Vets felt both were from lack of dental care not genetic (but who really knows). Those two horses are my show horses. They are dependable, safe, fun horses that enjoy showing and my daughter and I love showing them. We just avoid the halter classes. We take them in all driving classes and the bites do not impede their driving at all, in fact both of them place regularly and we love them dearly. So go ahead and take her as far as you can, the skies the limit with the exception of halter class.

It is nice to see the positive remarks on giving horses a purpose, when others may see them as flawed.There are too many excellent quality, closer to perfection, horses that may make better breeding candidates, but I am happy to see the tides slowly changing. It is refreshing to hear individuals say "nope, no breeding for me, just want to own them, not breed and foal them out."

It is also great when breeders acknowledge that the horse may have a lovely outward appearance or disposition, but non the less, it is still not breeding quality for various reasons. Hopefully, for the sake of the breed, things continue in this manor and we will hear more stories like this. Good luck and may you have many wonderful adventures with you little equine buddies.

Halter classes are out as they are the classes that are supposed to be showing breeding quality in all it's glory but they are the only classes you can't do, any of the performance classes, driving etc are fine, her bite will not be judged. It is a pity that you cannot declare a mare "non breeding" and put her permanently off the breeding register, so that you could then show her in the way you would a gelding, but there you go.....

Latest posts

Back