Showing a black horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostandFound

Staff member
Reaction score
Years ago I had a black mare and she was slick, shiny and jet black all summer. But I understand that isn't the case for most of them. So does your black horse stay black? do you have to do anything to keep him or her black? Does clipping keep off the sunburnt parts? Will I be stuck keeping him in during the day all summer? Wearing clothes? spf?

Years ago I had a black mare and she was slick, shiny and jet black all summer. But I understand that isn't the case for most of them. So does your black horse stay black? do you have to do anything to keep him or her black? Does clipping keep off the sunburnt parts? Will I be stuck keeping him in during the day all summer? Wearing clothes? spf?
For black coats, clipping does usually take off any sunbleached parts. For me, the biggest challenge of black horses is the mane and tail. Manes are not so bad, they can usually have the sunbleached parts trimmed but tails are more difficult and I hate dyeing them. So I wrap black tails in vet wrap and keep them stalled during the sunniest part of the day. That keeps them from being sunbleached and a naturally jet black tail looks simply amazing!

Latest posts

Back