showing 4-h halter class, what kind of halter should we use?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shazzyear

Reaction score
My son shows his mini filly in production in 4-h & he shows in western cloths. What kind of halter should we use?

we have been using a western / quater type halter, but i was thinking on getting a cable / arab halter. what is best for his western colths? thank you for helping us out.

If the competetion will be stock type horses, I would use a western halter. That is what has been the most "acceptable" when I've shown at an open "mostly quarter horses" show.

I really prefer the look of a Victor show halter and would never show at a registry show with a western halter for halter class, but if your open shows are like the ones I have been to locally, the western type halter will go over better imo
default_yes.gif

Good luck and have fun!!! In my experience, open shows can be a lot of fun and also a great way to show other horse people how nice minis can be
default_yes.gif

Jill Posted Today, 04:58 PM If the competetion will be stock type horses, I would use a western halter. That is what has been the most "acceptable" when I've shown at an open "mostly quarter horses" show.

I really prefer the look of a Victor show halter and would never show at a registry show with a western halter for halter class, but if your open shows are like the ones I have been to locally, the western type halter will go over better imo

Good luck and have fun!!! In my experience, open shows can be a lot of fun and also a great way to show other horse people how nice minis can be
LOL Jill i am the complete opposite ..

I take a few out to our local fair, which the miniature horses there are not competitive ...just "pet" quality miniatures, it is deffently a stock horse favored show. I'm taking i think 8 to our fair in august just to promote locally, like i do every august and my horses are shown just as they are at rated shows and the croud and other exhibitors love it and comment on how graceful my "mini arabians" look, now yes i may look silly out there showing mini/pony style with everyone else in the class in western halters and doing the showmanship rutine, but in the past four years we have done our fair, all of our horses have placed 1st, grand and reserve (behind one of our other horses). I even have people ask me to give them a breif lesson during one of the fair days.

open shows can be a lot of fun and also a great way to show other horse people how nice minis can be
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif

I agree with Leeana; I would show them as I show in rated shows. I feel I should represent the breed as it is done in the AMHA/AMHR ring. Maybe you should go with a cable halter, as well as purchase a nice regular leather stable halter, or a used Western show halter.

Really, I think this situation is more of a preference thing. Good luck!!
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back