Show spiciness

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stripe13

Reaction score
So I just got back from a show, and I did pretty well with my little mare! However she was also a little butt head XD

During the show (especially in the warm up ring) she’d suddenly either jump in the air and kick out, buck while trotting, or just kind of jump to the side. She’d do this no matter if she was moving or standing still. She’s not lame or sore in any spots. She doesn’t do this at home, or really anywhere else. She’s the chillest mini when it comes to everything, however when I’m at a show she suddenly acts out. Do you think she was just feeding off my nerves or if it was something else? Next time she does this, what can I do to help stop this behavior? Normally I’d either make her quickly back up after she did it, or lunge her a bit but it didn’t seem to help. Any ideas?

Thank you!

Was this driving? My Peanut did exactly this this in his first driving class last year. My instinct was to pull him down to a walk but I found that sending him forward helped to keep his mind focused. I circled him a few times to keep his feet (and therefore his mind) moving and busy in the classes.
I did not warm him up in the warm up area. It would've blown his mind. I think warm up areas are just too much stimulation for a horse that is new to showing. Too many people going in too many directions at different speeds. At least in the show ring everyone is doing the same gait at the same speed. I found a quiet spot and warmed him up alone. My husband headed him into the ring. It wasn't until his fifth show that I took him into the warmup area to trot a little bit.
As far as your nerves, they certainly can feed of of our anxiety. Mine did and does. I have shown all my life and I still get nervous with something new (and the driving was new), I have to break things down into small goals. At his first show I just wanted to get into the ring. At the second show the goal was to have him more steady in his gaits. Third show I hoped for a little better extended trot, and so on.
Another thing that I did was have my husband at his head every time we went into a crowded area. Sometimes he even put a lead shank on him and led us. This was at open shows with big horses, some hunters and ranch riders so there was lots of commotion for him to adjust to.
And I did ALOT of ground driving, again with my husband at his head.

I absolutely love your harness, can you tell me were you got it?

Was this driving? My Peanut did exactly this this in his first driving class last year. My instinct was to pull him down to a walk but I found that sending him forward helped to keep his mind focused. I circled him a few times to keep his feet (and therefore his mind) moving and busy in the classes.
I did not warm him up in the warm up area. It would've blown his mind. I think warm up areas are just too much stimulation for a horse that is new to showing. Too many people going in too many directions at different speeds. At least in the show ring everyone is doing the same gait at the same speed. I found a quiet spot and warmed him up alone. My husband headed him into the ring. It wasn't until his fifth show that I took him into the warmup area to trot a little bit.
As far as your nerves, they certainly can feed of of our anxiety. Mine did and does. I have shown all my life and I still get nervous with something new (and the driving was new), I have to break things down into small goals. At his first show I just wanted to get into the ring. At the second show the goal was to have him more steady in his gaits. Third show I hoped for a little better extended trot, and so on.
Another thing that I did was have my husband at his head every time we went into a crowded area. Sometimes he even put a lead shank on him and led us. This was at open shows with big horses, some hunters and ranch riders so there was lots of commotion for him to adjust to.
And I did ALOT of ground driving, again with my husband at his head.

I absolutely love your harness, can you tell me were you got it?

Surprisingly the only class that she wasn’t being spicy in was her driving class. She was perfectly calm and collected and listened to all the cues I gave her. It was the other classes (in-hand horse relay, in-hand trail, and showmanship) that she was being a brat in. It could maybe also be because I was warming up with large horses? Normally she’s fine with them, but who knows. Unfortunately this seems to be a new thing with her. I’ve shown her in quite a few shows, but this has to be the spiciest she’s ever been. Normally she’s as cool and collected as you could hope. I did also clip her about two weeks ago, so maybe she’s still getting used to being clipped? She’s been clipped quite a few times before as well

Also thank you about my harness! I got it and my cart from a girl who was no longer showing minis, and unfortunately I can’t find the brand on it. I’ll be looking to see if I can find the maker though!

Could she be in season? Maybe that's what got her flustered. The first cycle of the year can be a doozy :eek:.

I wonder if your harness is a "Tough 1" . I've seen them online and alwayys wanted to order one. I dunno why I don't give it a try, I love the spotted harnesses.

Could she be in season? Maybe that's what got her flustered. The first cycle of the year can be a doozy :eek:.

I wonder if your harness is a "Tough 1" . I've seen them online and alwayys wanted to order one. I dunno why I don't give it a try, I love the spotted harnesses.

oh yea I never thought of that! I wonder if she is in season, it’d definitely explain it XD

After checking it out it does in fact look like a tough 1 spotted harness! I love mine, and I definitely suggest it if you’re looking for another harness. It looks super sharp with colored pads as well

Latest posts

Back