Show rate packages

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boinky

Reaction score
Ok..so I have several mini's I show at AMHR... Usually at least 4 if not more. For me it ends up being VERY expensive to show my horses because I'm not able to qualify for the "$100 package". Most of my horses would only have MAYBE 5 classes max they would even qualify for. I usually only end up doing 1-3 classes with them because it's cost prohibitive to show multi horses in the extra classes. Why do they not offer a package of similar structure for the people that bring several horses an only show in a few classes with each? They could set it up a little differently if they felt they 'd lose money on the deal, but I really can't see how they could when a single horse could enter TONS of classes after the $100. for example (only an example) say something like "$100 for 4 horses entered with X amount of classes after the $100 can be entered for free" or even a bit more if they needed more profit. Honestly for me I question as to weather it's even worth going to a show with only 1-2 horses with the prices of gas. I could haul a bunch for the same price as it would cost me to take 1-2 horses but with the added entry fee's and stable fee's and of course the HIGH prices of gas is it REALLY worth it???? I also question if it's worth hauling to a show for a few classes. If you had some sort of a package you'd probably draw in more people that normally may have decided NOT to go to the show at all because it was just so cost prohibitive. Money you would have lost otherwise.

I hope some clubs look at this and take it into consideration. Maybe it's not feasible at all but I'm not really seeing why it couldn't be if it was done correctly. I don't see how it's really any different than the single horse package and it could open up a lot more chances for higher points received because people are putting their horses in multi classes they normally would not. you could do like a family rate too ..say $500 per family for all the classes they wanted to enter (again just an example) I really hope this makes sense the way I worded it

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see shows making any money that way!

Here our two local shows charge $15 per class or $45 unlimited for one horse. So, if I were to take 6 yearlings and 2 year olds and put them in one class each I pay 6 x $15 = $90. If I could show those 6 horses all for the single unlimited fee of $45...the show has just lost $45.

It's even worse for the show if I were to decide to take one driving horse that also goes in halter....he'd be using the $45 while the other 5 horses are $15 each for that single class they each go in. That's $45 plus $75 for a total of $120...or if those others were to go into 2 classes each, $45 plus $150 for a total of $195. Why on earth would the show let me enter all those horses in all those classes for a measly $45??

I suspect that if one did a comparison with higher fees than what we have at the shows here the benefit would still show to be very much in favor of the participant and not the club hosting the show! As much as we exhibitors would like the shows to be as cheap as possible for us, the host does have to make enough money to cover expenses.

You're lucky- at least you get a package deal!
default_new_shocked.gif
Our local shows don't offer anything but a flat per-class rate just like they always have and it's breaking the bank for small showers like me to go with gas prices like they are.

I also question if it's worth hauling to a show for a few classes. If you had some sort of a package you'd probably draw in more people that normally may have decided NOT to go to the show at all because it was just so cost prohibitive.
I agree. If once you get there you can only afford to enter a few classes (three per horse for me once I've paid for stalls) then suddenly it isn't even worth it to go. Why bother to put in all that prep time and training to only go in a couple of classes?
default_wacko.png
Trailer-pooling with other showers helps tremendously but sometimes there's no one in your area or it simply isn't feasible. I would KILL for a flat fee $100 per horse package option! That's only four classes at our current rates but I could go in my preferred 10+ classes per horse and try for those high points. Shows keep advertising them as a draw but the attraction is rather limited when we can't afford to go in enough classes to qualify.
default_no.gif

Whine, whine, whine. I know.
default_rolleyes.gif
Sorry! But the fact is that at some point the cost vs. return ratio gets tipped past the point where exhibitors are willing to shell out and with so few horses in each class, the ribbons are fast becoming meaningless in my area. Why bother to go when it costs the same as it always did but there's no competition and you can only afford to go in a few classes? It isn't worth it. Shows here are literally begging for entries to stay afloat but seem stuck in the same old paradigm of trying to offer better awards and such to entice people and these days that doesn't work. It just costs the clubs more money. What they need is more horses per class.

Leia

No no no..i didn't mean that all 6 horses should be allowed to show for only say your low low $45.00 fee for the day..but heck if I could do $45.00 entry fee for all day I'd jump on that!!! we pay $25-$30 per class here plus stalls, plus shavings plus plus plus. I meant they could set their OWN scale of what would work for them but would make it cheaper for those of us that show many horses and don't show in tons of classes but would also make it worth our while to draw us in. they could set a specified number of classes that the horses could show in for that fee. Besides... they may have Lost $45.00 by not doing the "group" rate..HOWEVER that was probably $45 that I wouldn't spend because it's just $45.00 more than was in my budget in most cases. they COULD make it work if they wanted to and it wouldn't be any different than the single horse fee.

We just went to a show on the east coast that was a flat fee of $125 per horse, that meant that that horse could be shown in open, ametuer, youth, what ever for unlimited classes for the flat fee, we showed five horses, stall fees included, we took our own shavings and it only cost us $950. in show fees, that didn't includ the six hour drive and $300 in gas, this show had a lot of entries, only problem was the trainers taking over hte show, but the prices where good.

We just went to a show on the east coast that was a flat fee of $125 per horse, that meant that that horse could be shown in open, ametuer, youth, what ever for unlimited classes for the flat fee, we showed five horses, stall fees included, we took our own shavings and it only cost us $950. in show fees, that didn't includ the six hour drive and $300 in gas, this show had a lot of entries, only problem was the trainers taking over hte show, but the prices where good.

ONLY $950 and $300 for gas in 6 hour trip? $1,250 and my time is not an "only" in my book. I have to ask - was this an AMHA show? That's way too much money for a "fun show" that nets you nothing in return in my book. And I don't see any mention of meals and drinks and other expenses during an entire day for a family of 4 or more? You're total is probably higher than you think.

For me, and this is just me - I'd have to calculate alot more money than that - - for my time first off (like anyone else, my time is also of value) as it would require prep time and travel time (while I"m gone someone would have to be doing the things here) - and most likely for me it would cost me 8 hours of paid vacation to take that Friday off from work to prepare horses, load truck and trailer etc.

Then I'd have to prep for someone to be here to care for the horses - even if it was not foaling time (and it is), they have to eat while I"m gone an entire day. So for what my time is worth, that figure would be double for me. Not to mention the overload on Sunday to catch up on all the stuff I wasn't here to do on Saturday. LOL If it was an AMHA show and you garnered points and qualified for worlds, then perhaps its worth doing - but then is that money and time worth doing on a monthly basis for every show? Yes its supposed to be fun and enjoyment for the family, but at that cost, how does the economy affect that with families to afford? Perhaps it was an AMHR show? For me, if I'm going to spend that kind of money for one day, I'd rather it be an A show than R (and again, that's just me and how I rate the two registries).

I guess if you only have a few horses and you take those horses with you, its a different scenario. But when you have a large herd, someone has to be here to look after them - and if foaling time - who do you trust to do that in your place? Neighbors and family are not necessarily experienced in foaling. So then you have even a greater loss besides the financial expenditures that day.

I guess I'll stick with trainers because even though they can be very pricey ontop of the show fees, I don't have to leave here and calculate my time to do all that. And if a show is close enough and I want to watch my horse in it, I just get myself there without all the prep (and not pulling a trailer is much cheaper on gas mileage). I'd like to see something alot closer than 3 hours away but know that'll probably never happen.

I can understand why folks would want package pricing - any savings in this economy would keep the participants from dropping out totally because they have to cut back somewhere and they sure aren't going to cut back on groceries or utility bills.

Did this show also offer a single class fee for anyone wanting to show a yearling in just one or two classes?

The Orange Blossom Miniature Horse Club is trying a flat rate for its big show in Ocala, Fl on June 17,18 and 19. We are offering a flat rate of $300.00 which allows an owner to show all of their horses in an unlimited number of classes. The same deal applies to training centers allowing them to show all of their training horses for the same low rate, as long as the horse has been in training for the past 30 days. We are also offering a one horse/one owner amateur/youth flat fee of $100.00, and for those only wanting to show in a few classes, the regular per class fee is also available.

Information may be obtained by clicking on the LB rotating banner or by sending me a PM.

Our club is making an attempt to make showing your horses affordable and fun.

Please come join us at the Southeastern Livestock Pavilion in sunny Florida.

Gary

I think some do not realize how expensive it is to put on a show. Heck even putting on a one judge fun show is expensive.

Think about judges getting 250-350 per day plus their expenses. Stewards a little less. Facilities, ribbons, INSURANCE the list goes on and one.

To really know donate some of your time to your club and then you get a real birds eye view of what it takes.

Most clubs I know just hope to break even!

I also love flat fee shows (who doesnt) but there arent many out there.

Goodness! I'd never be able to show at those prices! You all need to come to Michigan. The show "my" club puts on costs $5 per class (2 judges) and stalls are $30 for the weekend. I can take 5 horses, show each horse in 5 classes and get stalls for everybody for under $300. www.wmiminiaturehorseclub.weebly.com

I've been trying to reply to you guys and my server keeps cutting me off. I'll try again, yes minimor they did offer individual class fees, paper work is in the trailer, so I don't remember the cost.

White Tails, I'm at an advantage as I am already retired from my job of 35 years, although Crystal did have to use three vacation days. I did forget to add in the bridge toll, We have living quarters in the horse trailer, so my show fees also included trailer hook up. We took our own food and drinks, plus the show gave out show bucks that we spent on some food, and at Star Lake Tack. They had a free pizza party Fri. night. Now I forgot all the questions asked. Oh! Hubby took care of the horses left at home, with help from the guy accross the road, and I don't have any mares foaling this year. In years past I would miss some shows during foaling time. I've used a professional handler in the past and horses place better with a pro, but my granson likes to show his own horses, he's only 10 and this year we let a partially blind girl show Sun Gold, the look on her face was priceless.

garyo said:
The Orange Blossom Miniature Horse Club is trying a flat rate for its big show in Ocala, Fl on June 17,18 and 19. We are offering a flat rate of $300.00 which allows an owner to show all of their horses in an unlimited number of classes. The same deal applies to training centers allowing them to show all of their training horses for the same low rate, as long as the horse has been in training for the past 30 days. We are also offering a one horse/one owner amateur/youth flat fee of $100.00, and for those only wanting to show in a few classes, the regular per class fee is also available.
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
I like your options! Gotta admit it seems like the show would lose a lot of money on the trainers, but then again maybe training barns in your area don't bring the 20-30 all-around performance horses each they do in our area?
default_laugh.png

kaykay said:
I think some do not realize how expensive it is to put on a show. ... I also love flat fee shows (who doesnt) but there arent many out there.
It seems from what we hear on the internet that there are plenty of them out there and more coming all the time.
default_yes.gif
That sounds to me like it's a strategy that's working or shows wouldn't be trying it.

To my way of thinking, people are only going to spend X amount of dollars at a show; my personal financial limit for example is around $300-400. Whether I get three classes per horse or 6-8 classes per horse for that money, either way that's all I could afford to spend but with 6-8 classes at least Exhibitor A is feeling like it's worth his time and money to go so he shows up. It hasn't cost the show any additional dollars (they already bought the ribbons, offered the classes and have to pay the judges for those classes whether there are any entries or not) but offering the package deal retained entrants who were thinking about staying home, maybe brought in some new ones and got more entries in each class so exhibitors are happier and everyone gets more points. I don't see what's not to like about that!
default_wacko.png
To many this seems like a way to try and KEEP exhibitors, KEEP money coming in, and KEEP the shows afloat.

Nobody wants to cheat the clubs or say they should lose money putting on the shows.
default_no.gif
But these are tough times for both the shows and the exhibitors and it seems like there's got to be a way both can win and mutually support each other.

Maybe I'm just missing some math somewhere.

Leia

YIKES-I had no idea some people have to pay so much for just one show and for only a couple of horses. I will be starting to show this year and have started a budget and have already written down as many expenses as I could ponder. It will not cost me nearly as much as what I have been seeing. I think my biggest expense will be gas as most of the shows in my 'area' are 3-5 hours away. In general, do AMHA shows tend to be more expensive than AMHR shows? The only shows around here are AMHR so I'm just wondering why there might be such a huge difference in expense.

Good Morning All,

Here are two shows down here in Texas that do offer breakdowns from Open, Amateur & Youth. They don't seem to have a problem with getting entries and the majority of the classes do have competition. Shavings and RV Rental prices are set by each facility and not show management and cost goes directly to them and not the shows. Most clubs will add a $1.00 to the shavings, but with cost going up they are not able to so when you stop and think about how many bags of shavings are purchased per show that's lost income for the show. RV spots are the same, total rental goes to the facility and not to the show. When you break down the class fee's per judge it's really not overly expensive. I use to playday and the cost per "run" would cost me anywhere from $3.00 to $7.00 depending on the class I went into. I've always told people to concentrate on a couple of good horses most of the time and throw an extra one into the mix when you are wanting to see how they handle being a show horse. I show anywhere from 2-5 horses depending on what is being offered at these shows classes wise.

2 Judge Show:

Office Fee Per Horse $10.00 - Per Horse Fee

Late Office Fee Per Horse $30.00 - Late Fees Will Be Enforced - See Rules Section

Open Class $25.00 - Open Fee Applied To Youth Entering Open Classes-$12.50 Per Judge

Amateur Class $15.00 - Amateur Numbers Required-$7.50 Per Judge

PMC Classes Adult $15.00 - 18 Years & Older

Youth Class $ 8.00 - Youth Entering Open Classes Must Pay Open Fees-$4.00 Per Judge

Youth PMC Classes $ 8.00 - Must Have Youth # for all Youth Classes

Stall Fees $45.00 - One Tack Stall Allowed Per 1 to 6 Horses Entered

Additional Tack Stalls $55.00 - Regardless of Number of Horses

Second Horse In Stall $15.00 - Unruly Horses Together Will Not Be Tolerated

Grounds Fee per Horse $15.00 - Showing Out of Trailer Per Horse Fee Charged Per Day

Shavings $ 9.00 - Shavings Must Be Purchased from Expo Facility

Vendor Fees-3 Days $75.00 - RV hook-up, Table, Chairs, Rental Extra

Fun Class “Doggie Costume” $ 5.00-Halloween Spooktacular

RV Reservations $ 20.00-Per Night-See Entry Form-Made with Show Management

3 Judge Show:

Office Fee (per Horse) $ 10-Per Horse Fee

Late Entry Fee (per Horse) $ 30-Late Fees Will Be Enforced-See Rules Section

Open Classes $ 30 –Open Fee Applied To Youth Entering Open Classes-$10 Per Judge

PMC Classes (flat rate/horse) $ 40 –Open to PMC Adult or PMC Youth

PMC Classes $ 15-Open to PMC Adult or PMC Youth

Amateur Classes $ 18-Amateur Numbers Required-$6.00 Per Judge

Stall Fee $ 45-One Tack Stall Allowed Per 1-6 Horses Entered

Second Horse in Stall $ 20-Unruly Horses Together Will Not Be Tolerated

Shavings $ 10-Shavings Must Be Purchased From Show Facility

Showing off of trailer (per day/horse)$ 30 –Showing Out of Trailer Per Horse Fee Charged Per Day

Vendor Fee for all 3 Days $ 75-RV hook-up, Table, Chairs, Rental Extra

RV Parking per day (first come) $25-Per Night-See Entry Form-Made with Show Management

See there is a sort of reward for having only 3 or 4 horses. For the price of paying someone to come in and feed etc., I can pay for a stall for them and take them with me. Then if I want to show them it "costs" me the time and energy of cleaning them up (oh, and their classes).

Latest posts

Back