Show Quality?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MountainWoman

Reaction score
I see a lot of ads on Craig's List lately for show quality foals from show quality parents yet they haven't been shown. How can you tell if they are show quality?

I really hate that term!!! Does one ever say a big horse is "show quality"? No - it might "halter" or not, which I think is a better description of its potential. I think any horse can be SHOWN, it is just a matter of what classes (i.e. not necessarily halter), what your goals are, and the competition.

On our farm, almost everyone has been shown in something (or will be soon!), but not everyone is what we consider BREEDING quality. They include geldings and mares we will not breed. But really, everyone has their own ideas about quality.

a show quality foal from two proven parents I would accept but if the parents have done nothing then theyre probably just talking it up , either way I would look at the conformation (proportions / angles) and make my own decision as to whether it is show quality

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO I don't think a breeder can say they are show quality when they have never been to a show, most importantly a National type show. Not saying they themselves should go and show or go every year, but when you've never been to a show how can you say they are show quality?

I know people out there don't care what the parents have done or even care if the breeder has even stepped a foot into a show ring, and thats fine, but I think many do care whats winning in the show ring.

Here's a funny l remember that happened at one of our shows...after a class a person came out of the ring with a 4th place ribbon they got in a filly class. They were really really upset and said a breeding farm that shows and sold them this filly for good money had told them they were buying a winning show filly. Well the next thing that came out of this persons mouth was that the filly was going back and they wanted a refund as she didn't win so were lied to.. l just had to walk away and laugh and mentally put those people on my don't sell to list.

Just because sire & dam are show quality doesn't mean that the resulting foal is show quality. Then there are numerous foals(and adults) that are out of non-shown sire & dams that are show quality. It is all in the individual horse in question. Some people do not have the means to show a quality horse and some have no desire to show a quality horse that doesn't mean that it is not quality. As a purchaser one must know what quality is.

First of all, have you ever seen a reputable show barn/breeding facility advertise on Craigs list? No! You can take a World Champion stallion and a World Champion mare, breed them and get something that is a cull. You must see pictures or better yet visit the farm and see for yourself. Anyone can advertise "Show quality" it is up to the buyer to be aware, and know what they are looking at. Most sellers are out to make the most out of their stock, and use this term, please use caution! Go see for yourself, and then make a dicision. It's just my opinion, but I think most of the ones advertised on craigslist are pet quality, of course you could show them but then again, buyer beware!

Show quality simply means that the horse has the quality to go out in the show ring and hold its own, with a good chance of winning, it has nothing to do with whether or not the horse has ever been shown. If one is a good judge of conformation, and if one knows about horse shows and what it takes to win, then one can look at a horse and know if it is or isn’t show quality.

Unfortunately there are a good many people who cannot judge conformation to save their lives, and who don’t have a clue what it takes to win in the shows today. I see many ads for “show quality” and then I look at the pictures of those horses and they are horses that I would never even think of taking into a show ring.

Yes, any horse can go into the show ring in some class or other but when I think “show quality” I’m thinking of a very good quality horse, one that has the conformation to do well in halter and the movement to be admirable in harness. For me “show quality” doesn’t mean the plain little horse that doesn’t have much going for him in the way of conformation but is an absolute whiz at obstacle driving or jumping (I would be likely to refer to that as “athletic” rather than “show quality” )

I just sold a filly that I had for sale on craigs list as a non breedable show quality filly. I had pics, info and pics of parents. I actually get a lot of newbies who contact me this way and get to sit and chit chat for ever on the differance between pet/grade minis and reg show minis. I have sold 2 there as show quality, which the filly mentioned above went to a non breedable show home and the other, a little boy/parents who wanted a nice mini sold to him without being lied to. I personally see a lot of local known farms advertize there as not everyone knows about lilbeginnings. I owned 2 minis for 3 yrs before I knew what this site was... so I think thats not a bad place to find quality minis as long as the seller is not lieing! I do however see LOTS of adds as the discribed above and I just feel sorry for the poor soul that dose get lied too...

(I do show my horses locally, not nat/world)

I don't see anything wrong with selling as "show quality" if you know horses. Even if someone has not been in the show ring or shown for years they can still breed top quality horses. It is up to the buyer to look at the websites and see what quality of horses they have and look at pictures of the horse/s for sale to draw a conculsion of whether or not they are show quality. If you are a newbe then seek help from someone who is not.

Horses also might show well in some areas, because the competition is not as stiff but would never make it at the sanctioned shows. So it boils down to, are you looking for a show quality horse for local shows or one that will compete at the sanctioned shows. Either way they are still show quality but not the same way.

Also, NOT every "show quality" horses parents have be shown. Many many farms ONLY show their best and keep the next best for breeding stock because they can't afford to show them all. That doesn't make they any less quality.

And we all know that some people can show a horse and get first or top fives and then someone else can take the lead and get the gate.

It all boils down to you must know conformation and what it takes to win in the show ring if that is what you are looking for. Or seek advice from someone who does.

I'll add my two cents, I've only been showing a few years and still very new to the minis but with the help from the forum I have learned so much and I am so happy to have become apart of this forum.

Anyway like Targetsmom said, any horse can be shown, wether it be in halter,showmanship, hunter, driving ect. A horse IMO doesn't need to have perfect conformation to be good at hunter, in fact none of my minis have perfect conformation. My main show mini, Sox is slightly cow hocked. But that never stopped me from taking him in halter classes we've always placed 3rd or higher up against stiff competition. I know he's not perfect but I'm not going to stop that from letting me have some fun. It's not like we go to nationals or worlds. I think only you and you alone can judge if a horse is show quality. What do you want that horse to do? Drive? Jump? Become a halter horse? Like i said before any horse can be a show horse
default_yes.gif

Show quality is subjective at best. Show in what? Halter? Color? Obstacle? Driving? Those are all 'showing designations. Most assume it's halter, but that isn't necessarily the case.

Then again I've sold horses that I didn't think alot of, but have done well at regional/nationals. Proper training, fitting and knowing how to show can make a difference as long as the conformation is there.

As for people selling on CL's, in this economy I've seen many people use it, and it's a free ad to your local area. The prices from breeders are higher than the average grade CL's Mini, but I've not asked how well people have done selling through that venue.

Where you find your Minis isn't the issue IMHO. The issue is - is the horse healthy, sound, good conformation (or better), paperwork in order, etc., and is the horse what the seller is representing it to be, before you put your $$ down. Contact the seller, if it has a registered name, contact the breeder and/or the registries.

I sold a Mini a couple years ago that was resold, then hit CL's. Someone alerted me to that, I contacted the person selling and they had been grossly misinformed by the person they'd bought from. He was sold on a gelding contract (the buyer disappeared on me), but was represented as a breeding stallion, etc. (lots of misinformation), Fortunately the new owner believed me and changed his ad to reflect what I told her, he was gelded and ended up in a good place.

Latest posts

Back