Show prep

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info on the Rose Oil!

Okay, I've decided to go with Laube clippers, since everyone says they are far and away better than Osters. However, I notice there are several types of them on the market. Which ones are best? (Lazor, Cowboy, etc) Thanks.

For the shows here in Reno I take my horse in the day before the show. Then when I am trying to get things organized and get our shade up in place and ancored so it won't blow away. I get to give baths and dry the horses. Then I get to Body Clip. I start with a T-84 blade. Then bath again and use a 10 blade. Then I bath again. I have no concrete area to bath the horses on at home so I have to wait until I get to the show. Can't body clip with out a bath. I don't really have any tricks. I just end up giving 3 baths before the class I show in. I don't show in halter yet so I don't have to do the face so close. I too hate the shaved look.

Hi all , great thread,

as a hair dresser I have tried all the expensive human formulas , and I have to day that it does NOT work as well as I expected. Bio Silk by Biolage, Matrix, with silk protiens expensive ...yes ...does it make the mane feel like silk , NO. dont waste your money.

There is a product you buy at any drug store , a shampoo for little old ladys with white hair..."Shimmer lights" comes in a deep purple bottle. the shampoo is dark purple but as it lathers it becomes lighter , does it work? YES!! like a charm, for your horse and for your grandma. Anyone want to send me a bottle? I cant get it here.

The flat iron is also a great idea, condition the mane and tail, and use a smoothing creme, then comb it into place with a fine tooth comb , if your horse does not like the hair dryer. Then the flat iron. It will "smoke" but that is the product not the hair. If you use dye on the mane , use the darkest brown , not black. Something I have not read yet is to use your clipper to make a straight line on the hair above the coronet band all the way around. Its easy to do , and makes the hoof look really sharp.

I feed whole black sun flower seed to bring out the color in the horse. I dont like to use spices... I once tried cinnimon to help with weight loss, even the smallest amount did make my mare have a slight colic, so for me I stay away from that. Flax seed I give whole , and all the time , not just in show season. I also give a good quality vegie or corn oil,this makes a thin layer of fat under the skin that feeds the hair. Feeding the hair from the inside gives you the shine that you want for showing . goop on the outside of the hair wont give you the same shine. good luck this season!! oh , and I do clean the privates and under the tail. That area can get dry and scratchy. I use baby oil.

Kendra said:
Katiean said:
Can't body clip with out a bath.
We use a cattle blower to get the dirt out before a clip. Works very well!
Ditto! Well, actually I use a Double K horse vac but same diff.
default_rolleyes.gif
That thing has been a GODSEND! I can deep-clean the horses in the winter to keep their skin healthier and get them looking good for winter events and in the spring I give them a thorough blowing then show-sheen like crazy and clip away. I don't get tracks even with that thick winter coat and it comes off easily. Any time I hit a sticky spot as I go through the coat I reblow and re-show sheen the area and it cuts like butter again. The upper back is the only place I run into problems and that's just because so much dirt gets ground in at the roots of the hair. I save that for last when the blades are almost dull so I can hack away without ruining good blades, then I take a wet washcloth to the rough-clipped area, show sheen, blow, and reclip with a good blade. Works like a charm! No more bathing the horses when it's still frigid in the spring and waiting all day for the coat to dry enough to even start clipping.
default_wub.png

Life has been so much easier since I got my blower.
default_biggrin.png

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back