Show prep

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mominis

Reaction score
I thought it would be fun to start a thread with little tricks and tips about show grooming and conditioning. In several other threads, I've seen some really interesting ideas and I thought maybe we could all throw in our 'trade secrets.'

One thing we have done in the past to deepen and enhance the color of blacks, bays, buckskins, pallies, chestnuts, and deeper coated horses is to give them a tsp to start and up to a TBS for a horse that doesn't seem to show much coat difference in 30 days or so (for minis, I'd guess you'd go 1/2 tsp-1/2 TBS) of sweet paprika in their feed. Another thing that we do feed wise is to keep an old coffee grinder in the feed room and freshly grind flaxseed for their feedings. It breaks down the shell of the seed and allows for better absorbtion and glowing coats.

For extra super white coats, we give them a bath with Ivory dishsoap to cut the grease and dirt in the coat. Then, after we dry them well, we use a pre-whitening substance. I don't really know what to call it, it isn't an oil really or a lotion, exactly. I'll have to try to find the name of the stuff, it's been a while. We get it at a local tack shop that caters mainly to ASB people. After they soak in that for about 10 minutes, we use ShoSno, a show dog shampoo that whitens better than any of the horse products we've tried. Then, after we rinse, we hand wipe them down and give them a fine coating of Roux White Minx. Once the White Minx is in, we use the sweat scraper to remove extra water and help the White Minx distribute evenly through the coat. Then we spray them with a non-silicone based show spray (not a finishing spray). Then we let them graze in short grass in the sun while they dry. We don't use any of this on the faces, except the White Minx. For faces we use Johnson and Johnson Baby Shampoo, no tears formula so that we don't sting the eyes with the soap and then use a sponge to rinse the faces before putting the White Minx on the blazes or full faces for greys.

What tricks do you have up your sleeves?
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I like this one! I have no idea how everyone got their horses so nice for the halter classes
default_smile.png
Hopefully you guys will share

For the white horses what do you do about them looking pink when clipped?

Oh I like this one! I have no idea how everyone got their horses so nice for the halter classes
default_smile.png
Hopefully you guys will share
For the white horses what do you do about them looking pink when clipped?
When I use to show paints ( big horses) we used to shave them two to three days ahead of time. That gives them enough time to lose the pink look.

To cover up the pink, what I've done in the past is wait until the horse is totally and completely dry (that was a lesson I learned the hard way because this makes a huge mess if they are still even slightly wet) and then pour some baby powder in my hand and rub it into the coat. You can layer it on until the pink doesn't show though and the coat is pristine white. I like this trick because it doesn't involve Shapely's. Shapely's is great stuff but it stinks and it makes them look unnaturally white, like white out. lol

Angelspeeper, you are braver than I am. I always have clipped my greys a week ahead of time and colored horses two weeks ahead. I do a nice clip but I just know it will be the time that I wait until the day before to clip that I leave huge clipper marks or something terrible. Can I bribe you to come do my clip jobs for me?
default_biggrin.png

Your only allowed to enhance the mane and tail of a mini for show (for example coloring a sun bleached mane and tail back to black) your not allowed to do anything on the body, which means you cant powder them or use shapeleys spray chalk. With a white, clip them with a #10 blade 7-10 days ahead of time, and keep them in a sheet or turned out at night so they dont get a sunburn. You have to experiment with clipping your horse to see what it looks like at 7 and 10 days. My silver dapple gelding looks amazing clipped a day or two before the show, except his white socks. I do them 3-4 days before the show in a 15 blade. Hair seems to grow back faster around the hoofs, and ears.

I use a human hair flat iron on my geldings mane and sometimes even his tail. Both are thick, and even when thinned as much as I can thin them, they get poofy. This makes them very smooth and sleek, and really makes him look better. Of course, I only have pictures of him without it done.

Use a sharpie around the top of the hoof where it meets the cornet band, it will help to keep the hoofblack from bleeding onto their cornet hairs.

I use a cheap plastic place mat at shows to have them stand on while I apply hoof black, keeps the dirt off of the hoof while its drying. Many show grounds arent thrilled about hoof black rings left on their cement aisles.

I use black electrical tape instead of a chain keeper on my show halter chains. I think its less bulky.

I'm having to learn all over again. I forget we can't powder white on the little ones.

I also used Shapely's on the big ones. Had one horse the was red dun paint, but her mane was red, but her tail was solid black on the inside and red & black on the outside. (mostly red though). I would used the Shapely's sorrel to blend her tail so that the black wasn't so obvious. But like what was already posted...the stuff stinks!!! Smells like spray paint.

A flat iron on manes/tails? Will have to remember that one!!!! Maybe there's hope for my wild child yet:)

lightly sand the surface of the hoof before applying hoof black...it gives it a better finished appearance.

Hair DRESSSING not gel for stray hairs.

For an unruly/difficult horse we used to mix a little lavendar oil into the face oil (for muzzle only) And use just a LITTLE...its very strong...don't want your horse going into the ring smelling like a garden do ya?

One that I have seen a lot that most people don't think about...make sure your horse's privates and behind are clean!!! I know that sounds like something obvious, but you wouldn't believe how many times I have seen this. An immaculately groomed horse that makes think say wow...very well groomed...until you get behind it! As the horse starts to trot, they naturally raise their tail....ewww... mare crusties. Or a male who drops down to urinate and it looks very dirty!!! YUCK!!! The judge notices!!!!!

Good point about the privates. As part of my daily grooming routine (people usually look at me like I'm a nut), I use moisturizing baby wipes with aloe to clean the under the tail areas and the underside of the dock. I haven't had many mares, so I haven't had to worry about mare crusties (well put, btw lol). Then when we show, I just dab a little baby oil on the underside of the dock and the entire under the tail areas so they don't have that chalky funky look.

Another thing that we do around the faces is put a thin layer of Vaseline on the above the eye area and the muzzle when we work them. This seems to make the hair in those areas thinner and it really makes a world of difference when it comes time to show groom/clip. I think that the vaseline somehow chokes the hair shaft and keeps it from growing as much, I don't know the mechanics of it, but I do know that it works. Then, after their workout, when they get groomed, I remove it with a baby wipe. I always get the baby wipes that say 'moisturizing with aloe,' as they don't seem to be as drying to the skin.

I've used a blow dryer on manes and tails before, but I've never thought of using a straightener. That's a good one! I have a question about the Sharpie on the coronet band, does it seem to dry out the coronet band area? How do you remove it after the show? I doubt alcohol would be strong enough to take it off, so would the hoof polish remover get that off too?

That's a new one on me. What is it? Is it a human product or an animal product? I'm guessing that you are wanting it for the eyes/muzzle to deepen the color, right? If you can't use powder, do they let you use colored face goo? I just got my rulebook in the mail today, so I haven't had a chance to check out the rules on grooming yet. I promise to do my homework over the weekend so I don't ask these simple questions.

"I use black electrical tape instead of a chain keeper on my show halter chains. I think its less bulky."

I use a thin piece of black elastic sewn on each ring. It keeps the halter on snugly, and I have more control with the chain if I need it. It keeps the halter very nicely in place. I use 1/4" elastic. it's virtually invisibly on the horse.

Yes you can use black make up on the faces.

I use the sharpie at the top of the hoof, not on the coronet band. So there's no problem with drying out the skin. It's just to define the top of the hoof without the hoof black going up into the hair.

The VERY BEST thing in the WORLD to clean sheaths and nipples is something called "Squeeky Clean". It smells good and it neuteralizes the stink of dirty sheaths. It is also very mild!

Last year I learned the best trick. Go Jo handcleaner. for white manes, tails, legs and and other spots. Takes the yellows out! Just make sure you rinse well and then condition.

We then tie them to them to wash rack for their hot oil tx. If only someone would do for me what I do for my babies. LOL!

Any one heard of using Dreft to clean Sheaths and a mares teets? I always use the actual sheath cleaner, but i am always looking for a bargain.

Or, Gaitorbait, Where can I find squeaky clean?

Okay, I've been reading my rulebook (yay!) and according to p.252, which is in Part 11N, "Changing the coat color of a horse is not permitted but highlighting the mane, tail, eyes, ears, muzzle, etc. is permissible." As using baby powder is not changing the color of the horse, I don't see how that's not legal unless you were trying to whiten an area that wasn't supposed too be white. This is about as clear as mud. lol

There are some cool tips on here! This is fun! Ellen, where do you find the GoJo? Is it a human product or a horse product? btw, the pre-whitener that I mentioned is no longer carried by the store I used to get it from and I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called. Grrrr....

I would consider baby powder on white areas to be a grooming enhancement, much like oil or Show Sheen. It doesn't alter color or change anything, just whitens the white.
default_smile.png
I can't tell you whether the rule book specifically addresses it, but it's very commonly used on every breed I've shown, including minis.

I'll second the suggestion to feed paprika and flaxseed, both seem to help deepen the shine and color. Does anyone use Black as Knight or any or their products?

Jan

I would consider baby powder on white areas to be a grooming enhancement, much like oil or Show Sheen. It doesn't alter color or change anything, just whitens the white.
default_smile.png
I can't tell you whether the rule book specifically addresses it, but it's very commonly used on every breed I've shown, including minis.I'll second the suggestion to feed paprika and flaxseed, both seem to help deepen the shine and color. Does anyone use Black as Knight or any or their products?

Jan

Hi Jan.

I've tried Black as Knight and I didn't think it did much. The paprika works better, IMHO. I didn't like the texture of the Black as Knight at all either. It looked like it had the sweepings from the stable floor in it. Ewww....

hmmmm.... lets see

Paprika for my paliminos, and my sorrel.. BOSS for their coat.. a 1/4 ounce of corn oil for coats... OH a wire brush OR a plain sos pad to take of the icky colors on a hoof..

oh and Peroxide takes sharpie marker off!! hehe!

the horses with black manes, i dye em black if needed....

every year i be sure i have shaved each horse at least 2 times before each show..

i make sure all mine are used to pelleted feed before we leave and pre mix many of the supplements and put them in a ziplock baggie. along with each horses portion of alfalfa pellets ( i weigh it before hand!)

also make sure you bring at least a rasp and a hoof knife just in case you get to the show and realize that a certian horse is a bit uneven.

oh, and for my Mr. studdly (AKA cash) vicks in the nose as he is young and tends to forget his manners LOL

instead of the stuff most people buy for eyes and noses, i use baby oil gel.. cheaper and looks pretty good!

im sure ill think of others.. later when my mare is done being prego !

Great ideas all!

A few or our experiences and thoughts:

Ivory Soap: Used it year's ago on our Shetland pony who was mostly white. She really sparkled! But over the years through other equine exhibitors, dog groomers, and vets; it was suggested we rethink this as a dish detergent is too harsh if used often. It strips and drys the hair and skin of their natural oils.

Using powder on the body (especially if it is lots of white). It sounds a little phobic
default_rolleyes.gif
but after time aren't you and the horse breathing in that white stuff if you are using so much on them?
default_unsure.png
Maybe I'm a health nut
default_wacko.png
default_laugh.png

We like "Miracle Groom" heaps for stains at shows. Spray on a towel and rub (elbow grease); clean!

We use a really good human shampoo for white/grey hair for our grey/pinto/etc. horses (you can use it on any color) to help get them white with LOTS of good old fashioned elbow grease. You can get the good shampoos at a retail Beauty supply like "Sally's" that sells to the public too (or talk to your hairdresser). Happy Grooming
default_saludando.gif

Your only allowed to enhance the mane and tail of a mini for show (for example coloring a sun bleached mane and tail back to black) your not allowed to do anything on the body, which means you cant powder them or use shapeleys spray chalk. With a white, clip them with a #10 blade 7-10 days ahead of time, and keep them in a sheet or turned out at night so they dont get a sunburn. You have to experiment with clipping your horse to see what it looks like at 7 and 10 days. My silver dapple gelding looks amazing clipped a day or two before the show, except his white socks. I do them 3-4 days before the show in a 15 blade. Hair seems to grow back faster around the hoofs, and ears.
I use a human hair flat iron on my geldings mane and sometimes even his tail. Both are thick, and even when thinned as much as I can thin them, they get poofy. This makes them very smooth and sleek, and really makes him look better. Of course, I only have pictures of him without it done.

Use a sharpie around the top of the hoof where it meets the cornet band, it will help to keep the hoofblack from bleeding onto their cornet hairs.

I use a cheap plastic place mat at shows to have them stand on while I apply hoof black, keeps the dirt off of the hoof while its drying. Many show grounds arent thrilled about hoof black rings left on their cement aisles.

I use black electrical tape instead of a chain keeper on my show halter chains. I think its less bulky.

Flat Iron Great Idea! Works for me : ) I blow dry my Friesian's feathers...my friends are going to think I am crazy ..lol

hmmmm.... lets see
Paprika for my palominos, and my sorrel.. BOSS for their coat.. a 1/4 ounce of corn oil for coats... OH a wire brush OR a plain sos pad to take of the icky colors on a hoof..

oh and Peroxide takes sharpie marker off!! hehe!

the horses with black manes, i dye em black if needed....

every year i be sure i have shaved each horse at least 2 times before each show..

i make sure all mine are used to pelleted feed before we leave and pre mix many of the supplements and put them in a ziplock baggie. along with each horses portion of alfalfa pellets ( i weigh it before hand!)

also make sure you bring at least a rasp and a hoof knife just in case you get to the show and realize that a certian horse is a bit uneven.

oh, and for my Mr. studdly (AKA cash) vicks in the nose as he is young and tends to forget his manners LOL

instead of the stuff most people buy for eyes and noses, i use baby oil gel.. cheaper and looks pretty good!

I'm sure ill think of others.. later when my mare is done being prego !

Great ideas all!

How much Paprika do you use? I have two palomino's that haven't turned yet they're yearling's would you use the pap on them? Plus, I'm using the Dak Oil and Dak Orange.

On the paprika, start at 1/2 tsp on a full sized horse you can go up to 1 TBSP. I would likely keep it at 1/2 tsp-1 tsp. for a mini, but then again, I'm just learning about them.

Latest posts

Back