show prep question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cassie

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I could get some advice on what you all do to get your mini's and or big horses manes and tails looking lovely and long and thick? I have just started showing my mini pony mare and all the other ponies seem to have the most glorious manes and tails and my girl just doesn't seem to stand out... any tips would be appreciated
default_smile.png

also any ideas on how I can get her mane and tail whiter? she is a silber bay dapple

I'm wondering if me rugging her has made her mane darker?

this is her coming out of last winter... she only had rugs on no combo's or hoods...

563444_10151247266224027_583031624_n.jpg

this was her middle of our summer end of december... see how much darker her mane is? her coat is nice and dark but I want her mane and tail to be lighter lol... any suggestions are appreciated
default_smile.png

559517_10151483501389027_831234180_n.jpg

Braid and bag the tail. Take an old sock and cut down the top a few inches in 4 places to make 4 ties. Old knee socks or athletic socks work great. Braid the tail, bring the bottom up half-way and slide the tail into the sock, slip a tie through a chunk of hair at the top and tie. Repeat on the other side.

Our tails (Princess, Bunny) are white so I use Quick Silver or similar shampoo. Here you are allowed to dye manes and tails, and I do have to dye some black (Princess again!) but I never tried to dye or bleach one. The main thing I found - especially with the girls - is to keep the tail covered.

I would use a bluing shampoo-- I'm not familiar with quicksilver, but it may be the same thing. I would also consider clipping a larger bridle path to show off more of her neck. Personally I don't care for the mane that long because you can't see the neck or shoulder.

I'm guessing you can't do much with the color of her mane or tail, she was just blessed with a darker color rather than the really light flaxen some silver blacks get. I think she has a gorgeous mane and tail.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think her mane and tail look very nice.

Use a whitening shampoo -- most are blue or purple.. Apply Show Sheen / Laser Sheen or something equal too that often at home to help repel dirt. Especially, her tail for urine stains.

I personally HATE, HATE, HATE show grooming. It is so un-natural. My horses lose half of their manes in both bridle path and thinning. Although I am not a fan, I do conform.

I don't know what to do about lightening her mane, but I would go with the AMHA rule book. You can enhance their natural color but not change it. Hence, dying black manes and tails to take out the sun bleached look.

Also, I do not know what is the norm for shows in Australia. Are the other horses sporting a thinner mane with bridle paths? Usually this is done to show off the horses neck and shoulder as fourluckyhorseshoes said. I also agree with Tergetsmom, I bag all my girls' tails at show time and use Quicksilver shampoo, which yes, its a bluing shampoo.

There are also supplements out there for coat conditioning where testemonials have reported a brighter coat and mane and tail.

Your girl is a cutie. Best wishes for show season!
default_smile.png

I would use a bluing shampoo-- I'm not familiar with quicksilver, but it may be the same thing. I would also consider clipping a larger bridle path to show off more of her neck. Personally I don't care for the mane that long because you can't see the neck or shoulder.
Thank you for your advice, its a little different with the mini ponies here is Australia, you aren't allowed to clip more then a 1" bridle path (otherwise you are disqualified..)

I'm guessing you can't do much with the color of her mane or tail, she was just blessed with a darker color rather than the really light flaxen some silver blacks get. I think she has a gorgeous mane and tail.
Thank you Chanda
default_smile.png
I love her mane and tail also, I just wish it was a bit thicker...

I personally HATE, HATE, HATE show grooming. It is so un-natural. My horses lose half of their manes in both bridle path and thinning. Although I am not a fan, I do conform.

I don't know what to do about lightening her mane, but I would go with the AMHA rule book. You can enhance their natural color but not change it. Hence, dying black manes and tails to take out the sun bleached look.

Also, I do not know what is the norm for shows in Australia. Are the other horses sporting a thinner mane with bridle paths? Usually this is done to show off the horses neck and shoulder as fourluckyhorseshoes said. I also agree with Tergetsmom, I bag all my girls' tails at show time and use Quicksilver shampoo, which yes, its a bluing shampoo.

There are also supplements out there for coat conditioning where testemonials have reported a brighter coat and mane and tail.

Your girl is a cutie. Best wishes for show season!
default_smile.png
Thank you very much KLM,

I'm going to try the tail bagging as suggested! sounds like a fantastic idea
default_smile.png

I put a black rinse through her coat for the Royal that we went to last month and that helped to increase the contrast between her mane and tail and coat... will continue to do that
default_smile.png

any tips for keeping the mane from notting when in rugs? thats why her mane has become so much thinner... because she would get it matted in her rugs... I have started plaiting it when she has a combo on... but any other suggestions?

Thanks for all your advice and help and nice commnets for my special girl
default_smile.png

Thank you Chanda
default_smile.png
I love her mane and tail also, I just wish it was a bit thicker...

default_smile.png
Cassie, that is kind of funny, cause so many people thin their manes so they are easier to manage and lay flatter for showing. Sounds like your girl might have a mane that is just right.

Gosh, a 1" bridle path is barely wide enough for a halter strap. I don't go for the big bridle path, but usually go with about the length of the ear laid back.

haha ok I have to show you a pic of the mini ponies she is against in the show ring lol she has nothing compared to them!

(here is the link so you can have a look
default_smile.png
)

http://foxwoodphotography.zenfolio.com/p733913710/h5a579e68#h5a579e68

yeah I know its either one extreme or the other! the mini horse ppl are into the massive bridle path but the mini ponies can only have 1" I wouldn't mind somewhere in the middle... personally I don't like the massive bridle path but I think about 2-3" would be a nice amount just to show the throat
default_smile.png
and neck

Latest posts

Back