Show Pooling Sign-up

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susanne

dB
Reaction score
This is a spin-off of Karen S's thread on fuel costs...

I had mentioned this previously to a couple of people, and I really think this could be a good way to keep show expenses down.

While gas alone hasn't kept us at home, combined with other issues (too cold for clipping...car accident...etc), it has played an enormous role.

So...how about a SHOW POOL BOARD where people can post if they want to share transportation -- whether they have room in their trailer or are hoping to find room -- to a specific show.

For example:

(This is our actual listing)

Seeking transportation for 1 or 2 B-mini/Shetlands and 1 or 2 people (no carts, limited gear/tack). Will share expenses with someone travelling through the Portland, Oregon, area to:

1. Cavalcade of Ponies, Monroe, WA, June 13-15

2. Evergreen Miniature Spectacular, Spanaway, WA, Aug 15-17

3. Happs DTT Mini Driving Trials, Happs, WA, Sept 20-21

4. Other AMHR, ASPC, PtHA shows in the region.

Can meet you at convenient, trrailer-friendly location in area. No need for transportation while at the show. PM or email susanne at [email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes
default_aktion033.gif
. Like i said in the other thread, this is what we need
default_yes.gif

I think that's a great idea Susanne. We already have the Mini Horse Transporation Connection in the links at the top of each page, perhaps we need to make a concentrated effort to use it for shows?

Leia

Thanks for starting this.

Possibly have room for one cart and 2 ponies from Central MN to Congress. Can pick up on the way through Twin Cities south, Wisconsin, or Northern Iowa.

Thanks,

Triangle Acres

Great idea!

Got to make some plans here.......

I had thought of the Transportation Connect page, but I'm concerned that people wouldn't think to look there for Show Pooling or for transporting themselves as well as their horses. How many people look at this page if they're not buying or selling a horse?

Perhaps we could pin a message directing people to look on the Transportation Connect page for Show Pooling, or we could direct them (again with a pinned message) to the Sales Board.

I just want to be certain people needing or offering rides actually SEE these posts and actually use them.

We have room in our trailer for four ponies to transport to Congress from the Pittsburgh Pa area going to Cloverdale direct. We have a gooseneck trailer that I have a picture on our links page that we has designed by Buddy from Wrangler Trailers. We have plenty of room.

It would be a good idea to have something where people could come to get together for tranporting to shows to cut costs. We are full for transporting to Nationals with hauling 6, four of mine and two from 2 other people's farms.

Mary Lou, I think that would work fine. I think it might help people scan through if each message listed at the top "Ride needed" or "Ride offered" and "Location."

Perhaps we should have a pseudo form, listing what information should be filled in. Such as:

Ride needed

Ride offered

Starting location:

Destination:

Dates of show:

Number of horses:

Number of people:

Tack, carts, feed, etc that you will have:

If offering a ride, how much equipment/tack do you have room for?

Please note: You will need to arrange separately for transportation to and from hotels, etc., while at show. This agreement only covers transportation to and from show.

I'm sure others can suggest other information to include or request.

Thanks!

(At the risk of everyone rolling their eyes...)

I think it's a good idea given the cost of gas, but the business and insurance side of me screaming to point something out.

Those doing the hauling and taking money as an offset potentially have some real liability.

Also, your vehicle insurance company would probably have a fit (may qualify as a vehicle for hire).

We have room going to AMHR Nationals, for both cart and minis. We live in So. Cal and can try to accomodate along the way as well. Have room for one or 2 going to Congress & Ohio World show, but nothing coming home.

edited to say: I do understand your point Jill, we have hauled horses for several people over the years to nationals and congress, we do have a contract that has to be signed before we will load a horse, we have also on occassion transported the owner as well so that they are thier to be responsible for thier horse.

Some of my friends and I have been doing this kind of thing for awhile. I couldn't afford to go much of ANYWHERE (horse related)anymore if I couldn't share the ride AND a room! I've NEVER not shared a room at AMHA Nationals(now World), and most other 'stay-overnight' places I've gone...(I guess it should go without saying, but of course, the sharing is with compatible other females!
default_wink.png
!

I don't breed show 'away' anymore(thank goodness!), but there are occasionally ADTs, clinics, and drives several of us are LOVING to do when we can, and it works very well for two, and sometimes even three, of us to take ONE vehicle and trailer. We can get three minis AND three carts(for singles)into a couple of us' trailers, and extended cab or 4 door Pickups....the beauty of this arrangement is that since we ALL have our horses and gear 'on board', no one is 'paying' anyone, just sharing the expense...perhaps those of you who live relatively close together could take this approach...

No question more people are going to have to 'get creative' in order to continue to do what they love!

I have to admit, I was thinking just what Jill was thinking...and that one would have to be careful in HOW one would accomplish this(though I think it's an outstanding idea, Susanne!)

Margo

Mary Lou, I think it would be wise to try this first as a pinned thread. I'd be happy to run this, unless someone else is just itching to do it.

Jill, thank you for bringing up these questions. Everyone doing this should have a signed waiver/hold harmless agreement. Jennifer, could we see what you use?

As for insurance, I don't believe it would be considered a vehicle for hire, as people would merely be sharing expenses, just as in a car pool for work...I hope nobody would be trying to make a profit. However, it would be a good idea to check with your insurance agent and discuss where the line is drawn. Also, if your horses are insured, you should ask about any issues.

Jennifer and Margo, do you discuss anything else before your shared trips, such as transportation while at the show or event, breaks and overnight stops on long trips, or anything else?

I probably think too hard about certain things...

Just reading what Susanne said about you should maybe check into things if your horse is insured made me think "why on earth?" at first glance, then I thought harder. Suppose someone hauls DunIT for me, who is insured, and there's an accident that is the fault of the person hauling. Is it likely my insurance company would come after the driver for his medical and/or mortality amount? (don't know, but it's possible and would be out of "my" hands).

Really just thinking out loud. I don't know the answers, and agree that people should check with their insurance company / lawyer on all counts.

Latest posts

Back