Show Newbie Needs Help!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedWagon

Reaction score
We are getting ready to go to our first show next weekend and need all the help we can get. Could you experienced show people give us tips, tricks or hints? Such as do you body clip with a #10 or a #15 and why and how long before a show? I have the face clipping diagram that was posted on here before. What do you use on manes & tails and faces for shine? Those are just the questions I can think of right now. Please share any advice!!
default_please.gif

Thanks!

Show Sheen is good for a nice shine, and it helps repel dust and dirt too, and keeps mane and tails from tangling so much. I use baby oil gel on the eyelids and muzzle. I just clip with a #10 blade, and it depends on the horse-- does their color need time to come back in a bit after clipping? Or do they look best with a really "fresh" clip? It also depends on how many horses I'm showing; If I have four or five, I start clipping the one who won't grow out as fast first, about a week before the show, and then work on down the line. It takes me AGES to get a horse fully show-clipped.
default_wacko.png

Show Sheen is good for a nice shine, and it helps repel dust and dirt too, and keeps mane and tails from tangling so much.
Please don't use Showsheen!!!
default_new_shocked.gif

It is a silicone based product, which builds up in the coat/hair and weakens the hairs over time. I was an avid "Showsheener" and after a year found my Quarterhorses lovely thick tail getting thinner and hairs breaking off like mad. I switched to a non-silicone based product (Santa Fe!!) and noticed in weeks how much better his tail looked
default_smile.png

Good luck to the OP!

Please don't use Showsheen!!!
default_new_shocked.gif

It is a silicone based product, which builds up in the coat/hair and weakens the hairs over time. I was an avid "Showsheener" and after a year found my Quarterhorses lovely thick tail getting thinner and hairs breaking off like mad. I switched to a non-silicone based product (Santa Fe!!) and noticed in weeks how much better his tail looked
default_smile.png
This is good to know, thank you! I'll have to look for Santa Fe, any suggestions on where it can be found?

use a # 10 blade for a body clip. I think its a #40 for the head but im not sure. I will clip 3-4 weeks before the show but it depends on how fast the coat grows in and what looks better.

Hi RedWagon!

Are you talking about the Area III show in Perry? If so I am going and can help you with showhorse makeup. However, I'm new to the whole clipping thing myself(didn't have to body clip the big guys). So far I have used a #10 on the body, #15 on the face. I taper and blend with a 40 and 50 on the muzzle up to the cheek bones and over the top of the eyes. Watch out for the eye lashes.

As far as the makeup goes here is my list:(I use a lot of people products)

Manes and tails:

*I have to use whitening shampoo because all of mine are white

*I use PINK hair lotion from the ethnic section after they are clean and still damp

*When the hair dries I spray in a leave in conditioner called MVP, it's a detangler too.(I LOVE this stuff)

*Then I put hair up until showtime.

*Before going in I use cowboy magic detangler and shine(it shines and repells dust) I ran out one time and started using something called SHINE from the ethnic section. I can't tell a difference between the two products.

*If their hair stands up I put in hair gel to hold it down. Usually with all of the above mentioned items the hair is silky and won't stand up, but I have a palomino with a really stubborn coarse mane so I have to gel it too.

For body I just spray Pepi before going into the ring (I like the smell of this stuff) I've also traded this out for PINK spray shine. It comes in a aerosol can just like Pepi and is also in the ethnic section.

For the face I use a product also in the ethnic section. The brand is BB. It comes in a little plastic tub just like silverado face glo and works great around the eyes and muzzle. It's Waaaaaayyyy shinier than baby oil or baby oil gel. Have baby wipes on hand to get it off of your hands. It's messy.

Look me up at the show. I'm more than willing to share what I have. I'll have these two there(they're not groomed up in this pic):

newspaper.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone!

Steph, we will definitely look for you! What classes are you showing in?

Kendra, that was a very helpful article!!

Thanks again, everyone!

For colored horses, I usually clip with a 10 blade one week before the show. My buckskin I would clip like a week and a half so he had his nice golden color back.
default_smile.png
You 40 blade above the eyes (follow the eye), the muzzle, the bridle path and the tops of the hooves so your hoof black won't run up their legs. Remember to start to lift the 40 blade when you get to your end point so that you don't have lines (it'll blend in nice). Also clean up any chin hairs with the 10 (go with the hair growth) that may have grown in. Use a fine sand paper and sander to sand the hooves. They'll look smooth and nice.

I use baby oil for the "shiny" look above the eyes and the muzzle. Also, a water soluable black hoof polish that I then spray with Ulta hoof spray. Gives it a nice shiny hoof. And the stripped hooves I just put the ultra hoof spray on directly.

I also use Wow mane and tail whitener on horses with white tails. Gets those yellow tail nice and white.

Remember to have fun and watch to learn stuff. Good luck!
default_biggrin.png

I'll be showing the palomino in Liberty Friday night. Then she'll be in 2 yo and color halter on Sat(not sure if she'll measure over or under at this point). The pinto will be in under performance classes.

What are you showing in?

We will be showing in Amateur Halter Stallion-Under & Amateur Halter Mare-Under. Well, actually, my hubby will be showing--I dislocated my right shoulder about 3 weeks ago & have to take it easy for a while.

Well, maybe you can catch me sometime before or after liberty Friday and I'll help you out. I'll actually be there most of the day just hangin around with nothing to do since I'm only doing that one class that night and I have to measure in that morning.

Do you have pictures of your two?

Steph, we plan on measuring in Friday, too. We should see you sometime on Friday! We thought about doing Liberty, too, but we don't quite have the catch down yet! Here are pics of our two.

Red Wagon Blue Angel Tribute--2007 Colt (Please excuse his mane that section wants to go to the left and his eyes are half closed!)

ShowBabies054.jpg

Red Wagon Ablazin Legacy--2007 Filly

ShowBabies070.jpg

Legs2.jpg

I use both Cowboy Magic Detangler and Shine, but they are very different products. Cowboy Magic can be left in and leaves the mane, tail and forelock soft and lustrous. Shine gives a brilliant shine, but is much heavier and it is VERY drying if left in. I use it sparingly and wash it out/off immediately after the show.

I LOVE Pink spray!

Back