Show mishap

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wpsellwood

Reaction score
I will start, pretty funny. Ok we were at the Estes show standing around like we had all the time in the world. Watching Ed show our gelding in open. Well I wanted to see what he got in grand and reserve. So watching them place that class. You know just hanging out talking. I heard of the intercom, AOTE stallions, oh Im thinking that class is next. Then I go oh crap thats my class. Horse has his blanket on, wraps on, shavings in tail and mane. Oh my. Ran to the barn tore everything off put his halter on knocked off the shavings and made the class. I couldnt believe I did that! Anyone else???

At our first show ever, we arrived in what I thought was plenty of time...the only trouble was, most of the earlier classes were cancelled, or only had a few entries and went fast. We entered the barn just as they were announcing first call for our class -- YIKES! We did all of our remaining show prep (most had been done at home) outside the gate. Since the show was in March, I didn't give him a bath, but rather just what I thought was a good brushing (in addition to the now famous "Alpaca cut" to which I subjected him. As I gave him a last minute light brushing, I found he had some remaining mud on his belly that I had previously missed... We didn't put anything on his hooves...I just plain forgot...

As it turned out, we took second -- first place going to Liz (Nootka) and Mouse

Here he is afterward:

mingusatBoring05.jpg

Yup, Nationals. I had 2 yearling B mares, in different height divisions, and no help. Took out a group of boy scouts.....twice running up and down the ramp. I ran out of the first class (bowling over exhibitors, horses, and grooms) standing right at the exit gate, ran thru the scouts, threw a barn halter on the first mare, took off the barn halter on the second mare, ran back down the ramp thru the scouts again, and into the class as they were shutting the gate.
wacko.gif

Well...as anyone who shows in our area knows I like to socialize at shows, lol So yes, I have missed my class...not for a very long time though. We showed Paints and Quarter Horses when I was a youth and I would ride off somewhere visiting with everyone and from time to time I would miss my class. My Dad never came looking for me, if you weren't paying attention and missed out then sux to be you!! Since we have started showing minis I haven't missed a class been darn close though. I also took my A division CP driving gelding into B division pleasure driving and even after show management telling me I was in the wrong class I still showed in it(won it too, lol)Duh!!!!!
laugh.gif

Oh my Gosh...yes!
new_shocked.gif

I did the same as most of you'all...stood around yacking, and enjoying the show... My husband comes over and says..."They just gave the 5 minute warning for your class". Well, Sir...that got me moving. I run to the stall, where, of course, my yearling Appaloosa filly was laying down. (After what looked to be a self-satisfying roll.)
new_shocked.gif

I whipped her out of that stall, brushed her all the way to the ring, and finished wiping her face in the ring...and stood her up. She was in such shock, she stood like a statue.
biggrin.gif

I am standing there "looking good", waiting for the Judge, when I happened to glance over to a buddy of mine who was standing at the rail. She was dancing and flapping frantically. I thought, "What the heck"? Only when she stuck her boot up on the rail, did I realise she was trying to tell me I still had my pants stuck into my cowboy boots.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
What a hick...
rolleyes.gif
But we managed to win that Futurity! I never even had time to get nerved-up.
biggrin.gif

Yup, I almost missed one one time. The show was running ahead fo schedule so they "asked" us if we could show early. Well, someone piped up with a "yes" and a few seconds later I realized...Oh Heck, my show clothes are all at the other end of the grounds, in a locked trailer, and nobody would ever find the right ones in all my stuff. AND my horse still needed to be groomed.
wacko.gif
Well, I left my parents with the grooming tools and RAN to the other end of the hot dusty grounds to gather my clothes, ran back, changed and tried to look presentable. Not easy when you're sweaty and dusty! When I got back to the barn my parents had tried to harness him and did an almost OK job, so I made a fea adjustments and got hitched just in time to trot him out to ther other rnd and right up the chute into the class. *phew* what an ardeal. I don't remember how we placed that class, just that we made it to the gate in time, and that my parents saved my but by doing something they know nothing about.
rolleyes.gif

Yup! Missed the solid color class with 2 horses. Where we show here, the speaker system LACKS! If you are in the Palomino barns, the farthest away from the gate, the speakers are kind of hit/miss from the arena. We missed! Got there but too late for the gate. Of course, nothing could be done about it.

Ok let’s see if this tops the list.

We as a family had just started showing miniature horses so we took them to a few open shows as they offered a few miniature horse classes at each of their shows.
aktion033.gif
saludando.gif
aktion033.gif

Well this show circuit had shows on three different days so that a few breeds show each day. We receive the class list in February for the May show. Marked show dates on the calendar. May comes weekend before washing body clipping ect (five horses). The day before you do all of the bathing getting your stuff together. Go to bed early so that you can leave at four am. Get to the show grounds you are in the second-class get the horses out of the trailer all hands on deck as you have three people who are showing. Horses are all ready to go in the ring and the show office opens five minutes before show starts. In you go to get your numbers as you have allready entered your classes. Can you guess what happened???????

wub.gif
wub.gif
wub.gif
wub.gif
wub.gif
wub.gif
wub.gif
wub.gif
wub.gif
wub.gif
wub.gif

Yep, the class was yesterday!

I dunno, we may have you all beat, how about an entire horse show!?
biggrin.gif

Many years ago we entered the Ohio State Fair AMHR horse show. Appys were scheduled to show the entire morning, minis after lunch. Soooo, the day before we haul in, settle and feed the horses and leave. Came back late morning the next day to see some mini people walking in the barn with ribbons! Turns out the show management swapped the shedule after we had left and too bad for us. We were livid, got no money back treated oh so very rudely. It was a good long time before we showed AMHR again, and even longer before we braved the fair.
no.gif

How many times have I done this?

I have missed classes, and I have run into the ring half prepared, myself, with horses that were barely groomed, let alone not wearing any makeup.

Once I had put my horse away after our classes, and set him all up for food, in his blankets, etc., and re-dressed in my jeans and t shirt, then gone back to the arena to relax and watch the rest of the day's classes.

As I enter the arena, I see that they are standing around waiting for someone...uhh...I get a bad feeling as I finally hear my name and horse number! I was in the championship class and I didn't realize it!

I feel like telling them to just go, but everyone is yelling at me to go back and get him, so I did, and FAST. We came back, but didn't win anything (I was only a second place horse in that case). I wasn't mad b/c I felt like the judges were mightily irritated with me for holding things up like that.

I hate when that happens!

I try very hard to be aware of class times, cancelled classes and such, but I have no doubt there will be the missed/near misses of '06 as there have been EVERY year I have shown.
smile.gif

Liz M.

I have to add...I'm still getting used to the entire show environment...determining what classes will go fast or slow, trying to decipher garbled messages over the PA, determining how much time I need to get to the show ring...

As a result, after that initial episode, I'm a total nerd at shows, constantly checking the schedule...asking others what class did they just call, getting to the gate WAY too early and standing around, trying not to be in the way... It doesn't help when, at one of the shows and part of the second, I was completely on my own. On the positive side, it's been good for my horse to get used to the hustle and bustle of horses and handlers.

...then there was the County Fair, where I thought we were late for our second (open)class. I raced to the gate, only to have the apprentice judge come over and tell me that she thought I had the wrong class -- he didn't look like a stock horse to her!

Last edited by a moderator:
...I did.

We have no trailer, so we rented one for the ONE show we went to in 2005... I had practiced for months & months & groomed & clipped every one.. Well the trailer guy never came!!!
new_shocked.gif
Final after talking to the company, we got some one who came & took all 3 of our guys... After a 1 hour drive to Toronto, we (me, my mom & dad- not minis) were there.. Our minis were stuck, first is trafic, then a Parade!
new_shocked.gif
Any way, 4 hours late, minis apear.. I grabed 26 year old Midnight, threw his blanket off and swiched his barn halter to his show halter JUST as we were going in the ring!!! Midnight pulled through & got first place thought!!! Good Boy
wub.gif
but.. Joy was a dirty un-bathed mess.. who missed her class(she was the very first with only 2 others in her class)...
no.gif
She was the best trained of our minis...
no.gif
no.gif
no.gif
I really wish the trailer company hadn't messed up..
no.gif

rolleyes.gif
o - well, next year

-Desiree

Thanks for the giggles you guys
laugh.gif

I can't believe I'm looking forward

to that crazyness next year!

I also went back to the barn, not

realizing that I needed to go back

in the Championship class.... TWICE! hehe

Sandy

We missed two classes at the Area VII AMHR regionals this year! We decided ( a group of friends - yes you know who you are!!!) to go out to breakfast as there were 40 classes (some huge number) before our first class, so we went ate - not lingering, but not gulping food either - we get back and are class was in the ring! We raced back to the barn, did the knock shaving out of tails threw halters on and ran - we were in outer timbucktoo at this show - well they let my daughter in, but the judge said he wouldn't place her though (a class my mare had won every time this year!).

We learned our lesson - never leave until all the classes are over!!!

It's amazing though how different the R shows are from the A ones. The R show can speed through 40 classes and A (regionals this year) it was literally all day to get through that number.

Last year I almost missed my "Best Movement" class with my half Andalusian filly. I didn't have a schedual and went to my truck to get one. They anounced my class and I had to run like H.ll to get in the ring. I had Cleo with me and she was flying at the trot. We won the class all because I was in a super hurry and Cleo had to book to keep up with me! What a good girl.

winning1.jpg

OMG, I had a somewhat similar fiasco.... this past July at our big show in Tacoma, I had my sister along to help me because my hubby had to work, mind you I knew my sis would be a great help because we were all raised with horses, so she is more helpful than hubby. So, we get to the show grounds, get the stalls done up & watched a class or 2......obviously some classes got canc because the next thing I know, I swore I heard my first class being called?... That can't be, can it?....yep, it sure was...so I told my sister, get the mare ready (me thinking she knew my A mare was showing first).... I got changed into my show clothes & come out to find she got my "B" mare ready to show.....my other mare was still in her jammies & blanket, etc, etc. I said, oh-no, wrong horse.... give me the show halter & I tore off the blanket & sleazy from the A mare....ran with her over to the arena to make the class, and I tell you what, I was a sweaty mess from all of that, plus nerves..... yikes... My poor sister felt awful, I'm like, don't worry about it, we made it.....not until after the class I noticed I had my hair up in a very bad pony-tail bun sort of mess....because, hey, it wasn't my classes turn yet. Haha, now I will be overly-prepared I am sure next year.

I just started showing mini last year and was feeling my way through the shows. I have a bad memory so reading all those rules - heck, I'd just forget anyway. We won our halter class and I knew enough to wait around for the call back for jr. champion. Turns out one judge gave us jr. champion. So I'm outside beaming and chatting and showing off my ribbon when someone says I think they're calling you back. I had to throw ribbons at the gate person and tried to run into the ring for the pass of the judges only to be told to "stand over there".

I was all red faced and told them I was sorry and didn't know what I was doing. Well, when the one judge hung the supreme champion ribbon on us, he commented that I was doing "ok for someone who didn't know what they were doing."

What a day! I think I floated home. Don't remember the drive.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that screws up! I was at one show and just standing there primping my mare...was sure there was still one class ahead of me. So I'm just standing there playing with my mare and the ring steward says uhm.....are you going to enter the ring or what? Oops, that's my class?? So I ran in all red faced and flustered. Since this was my first year showing I'll give myself a break.
biggrin.gif

Oh my gosh.... I think I've mentioned the Infamous Black Goo incident. Where in a 2 minute dash to go back to the barns, undress Baubles and get back to the arena I splattered black goo all over us. We looked like Swamp Thing. It was a mess. But we made the class. And got a Grand. 0_o

This past year at Worlds nearly happened again. We was 25th in the order of go, but apparently a number of horses in front of us scratched, and only announced the entry # of the horse coming in, not where the horse was in the order of go OR what horses were coming up. I was in the stands thinking we were on 16, when JUST by chance Rocky overheard a nearby steward's walkie-talkie say *I* wasn't there! (Bless Rocky's ears...)

Run like a mad thing down the stairs, into the barns, up the aisle, praying that somehow Lyn had heard and was bringing Catch Me. Fortunatly, yes, Lyn was on his way, we all dash down through the barns into the arena and slid right past the entry after us that was about to go in instead of us. It was a trip.

Although if you happened to see me after the class, I was a total mess- I guess I inhaled a ton of arena dust and I couldn't stop hacking or wheezing. Spent the next week coughing up dust.

Latest posts

Back