Show Leads!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssshowhorses

Reaction score
I am wondering where everyone gets thier show leads? I would prefer leather but would be open to others if people really like them. I have some very nice biothane ones right now but I find them very slippery.

ok, those are the leads I have. I thought they were Biothane. I really like them but I still find they can get a bit slick after a while. I use baby wipes to clean them off, do you use something else?

biothane is the plastic like material, the betathane is the leather like material. Never had a problem using the betathane.

I have a couple of the showtime leads too & like them, but I don't usually use them for showing--I prefer my leather leads. I've got a couple of the round leads from Ozark Mtn., and I've got their flat leather lead with buckle too--and I like that one. Actually I think I might have a couple of those--those are the 4 leads I use the most.

I have a round leather lead with a snap--I got it with my first show halter, don't remember where from. I soon sold the halter (rolled leather, very plain) but kept the lead--I like it very well, but am careful about which horse I use it on. The snap can come undone, so I use it only on those horses that aren't a problem if they do get loose...yes, I could tape it, but generally don't--easier to do a quick change if it isn't taped.

I also have a rolled patent lead that I bought from Schneiders--nice lead but can be slippery, and it's just too short for my liking. It's supposed to be 5' but seems very short for 5', and it doesn't have a stopper on the end--so again, I only use it on certain ponies.

We have all leather ones. Some of the olders leads are the ones with snaps but we haven't used them in forever--since we bought the ones that buckle. Too many other things can go wrong for us without the chance of unclipping the horse. Love the leather and not too hard to clean. We just put cleaner/conditioner on a rag and run the lead through the rag in our hands a couple of times and done.

I LOVE the rolled leather leads from Ozark and prefer the buckle over the snap. I found that for young people, they tend to put their hand on the snap and more than once we've had a loose horse!

I have a couple of plain black leather 6ft dog leashs that work awesome for showing. Not slippery, not oiley, and just right. Cant even tell their for dogs or at least judges never said anything.

Latest posts

Back