show horses mane

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.T

Reaction score
For show horses is there any penalty against a horse with a really long mane in halter? Most show horses that I see have fairly short manes.

No outright penalty that I am aware of, but I like to keep the mane short to show off the shoulder and neck. If the mane is too long, the judges can not see the whole picture, so I thin quite a bit, and make sure it is above the shoulder.

Do judges tend not to place horses with long manes?

Judges tend to pick well groomed horses over the "natural look". The mane can be long(er) but it needs to be "tamed". If it bushy and stands out from the horse, that's not well-groomed. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but the judge like to be able to see the horse under all the hair.

My guys mane isn't bushy and it is thinned out- it's just long. Almost down to his knees. I really don't want to have to shorten it. here is a picture of him in the paddock.. so by no means how he would look in a show!

9ibok1.jpg

The thing is--a mane that is so long that it is almost down to the horse's knees, even if it is thinned out, is still going to--to some extent--hide the horse's neck and shoulder when the judge views him from the mane side. In that respect the long mane detracts from the horse's conformation. If the judge is looking down the line from one side or the other and one of the horses has his conformation hidden by long mane....that is not going to benefit that horse at all.

You can certainly show your horse with his mane that long, but you must realize that doing so many knock your horse down in the placings.

I personally would not show a horse with mane that long.

I agree - a long mane or tail can distract from the overall well groomed effect and may cost you a ribbon. If you want to show and be successful, you have to go along with how most folks do it, so to speak. He's a pretty boy and should be given every advantage when showing.

I would trim like an inch or 2 off but no more then that. You have clipped off plenty to show his neck and shoulder IMO. If he were mine I certainty wouldn't go any longer then that but would trim it up a little bit will give a nice touch.

I have a question to add to this . BTW I completely agree with you on shortening the mane . Peach has a long mane , and it looks like the top half along the hair growth someone shaved it , so i have 2 lengths , one about 1 foot long and the other about 4 inches .... any ideas on this ? should I try to switch sides ? leaving the short parts under the long hairs ? or just leave it ?

Norah, if it will lay down flat you can leave it. It doesn't then your choice might be to continue to clip which is what they probably did. Then you can switch sides with the mane if you think it needs covering up.

Back