Show & Hitch Classes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hal & Deb Bryant

Reaction score
We read the Forum daily but seldom reply. This time we felt we wanted to start a discussion.

We, like all of you, are planning for warmer days and the 2009 Show Season. We have been checking on show bills already posted to help plan our show season.

We can't help but notice that Hitch Classes are seldom if never offered at most shows. Since we are Hitch Drivers - that's a big problem.

We are required to show and qualify for the Nationals the same as any other but we are at a loss as to where we can go to quality IN OUR DISCIPLINE.

We have contacted the Registry - and they tell us we don't have to qualify in just hitch classes - so if they are not offered - just enter your horses in some other class (i.e., costume).

We don't know how you feel - but we don't particulary care for that solution. We have not trained our stock and spent thousands of dollars on harness, vehicles, trucks and trailers to showcase our Hitch trained horses in some other discpline.

We realize that as Hitch Drivers, we have different issues than most. Even the cost of showing is different. For example - when we show the six-horse hitch we have to pay:

the class fee, 6 office fees, and extra stall fees (because most show only allow 2 horses per stall).

Of course, no one makes us show Hitches - It's what we like to do. Did you know that we don't even qualify for Hall of Fame and we have at least one horse with 27 National Grand Championship Titles to his credit (and no hall of fame).

Now you know our "Problem" - what if we could qualify at other events like: parades, demonstrations, rodeos, etc. where we could "show" under hitch.

We would appreciate your opinions.

Hal & Deb

Bryant's Miniatures

bryantsminiatures.com

I understand your frusteration. There are at times other classes I wish shows would put in but they don't. The problem with Hitch classes is their is hardly anybody in them. No exhibitors=no need. Talk to the show managers ahead of time to see how you can put this class into their shows. Also ask if you can sponsor the class, I don't see why they wouldn't accept it then. Also Nationals this past year their was somebody going around trying to get signatures to make Hitch classes a HOF class.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand your frusteration. There are at times other classes I wish shows would put in but they don't. The problem with Hitch classes is their is hardly anybody in them. No exhibitors=no need. Talk to the show managers ahead of time to see how you can put this class into their shows. Also ask if you can sponsor the class, I don't see why they wouldn't accept it then. Also Nationals this past year their was somebody going around trying to get signatures to make Hitch classes a HOF class.

Thanks for getting back to us. We have worked for years to get others interested in hitch classes and it has paid off. We have seen many shows where there are as many entries in the hitch class as there are in some of the others. Our numbers are up (or have been). We have sponsored classes before - to help generate interest - but again it's another expense on top of the rest. Many times, we have entered 2 teams in a show and both of us would drive to just keep the numbers up. Everyone loves to watch the hitches and there are many out there who have the teams, equipment and talent to present them to their best - you included. Look how the people gather around the rail when the hitches come into the ring. We really think more drivers would join in - if they ever drove a team or multiple, they would know how exciting it is - but we still need to make exhibiting them more convenient and available.

Any more suggestions out there?

Due to the specialized nature of the class (extreme equipment and knowledge requirement) you won't see a lot of exhibitors out there. Therefore, no need to have the class.

It's all about talking to the show manager about classes you want offered (chariot, hitch, costume, etc.) and having them add it to their show bill. There are TONS of classes that are available, but not always offered. They are "optional." You can't make EVERY class mandatory! They do have to order ribbons, budget for time, JUST IN CASE someone randomly decides to enter? It's unfair to expect the show managers to do that.

Good luck! Share pictures!

Andrea

I don't know if this helps you or not, but more shows around here are offering hitch classes. It is all because of a couple of people who have made a big effert to ask for them. Maureen and Mel Storm from Storm Hill Miniatures (Minnesota) have really gotten into it along with Richard and Rita Lindahl (Iowa) So because they are requesting these classes, several shows in Mn, IA, and SD are starting to offer them.

My advice try and talk to the show managers. Explain that if you offer this class how many you would be bringing to make it worth while. Also see if there are anyone else in your area you can get to show in those classes as well. They too have done the same thing where husband and wife both drive a team. But in a 2 horse hitch that amounts to 4 entries. Of course you get less when you go to 4 horse or 6 horse, but it is a start. They also have been showing fine harness and some other classes. If you are willing to show in other classes as well, this is more income for the show and they are more willing to ad the class you request.

If you want ideas, look up Maureen Storm...she would love to talk hitch classes with you.

The Minnesota Miniature Horse Club's AMHR show July 3-4 in Winona, MN, is offering hitch classes. (There is a concurrent ASPC show, and an AMHA show July 5.)

For more information about hitch classes at the MMHC show, contact show manager Jeanne Bragagnini at 269-979-3392 or e-mail her at [email protected]

I have been emailing Cathy at AMHR about this very subject.

It doesn't seem fair hitch drivers have to pay 2 - 8 Xs as much to qualify. Right now, that is the rule.

Have you thought about submitting a rule change for the convention this year ?

How about for teams of 4, 6 or 8 only two of the horses have to qualify ?

There can't be that many people showing 4 and up out there.

If you'll do that, I'll help you lobby for support at convention.

Vickie

Due to the specialized nature of the class (extreme equipment and knowledge requirement) you won't see a lot of exhibitors out there. Therefore, no need to have the class.It's all about talking to the show manager about classes you want offered (chariot, hitch, costume, etc.) and having them add it to their show bill. There are TONS of classes that are available, but not always offered. They are "optional." You can't make EVERY class mandatory! They do have to order ribbons, budget for time, JUST IN CASE someone randomly decides to enter? It's unfair to expect the show managers to do that.

Good luck! Share pictures!

Andrea
Andrea - everything you say is true. Yes we have and do talked to the show managers - occasionally they can and do accomodate our request but more times than not the class is not offered. If the hitch class is not offered because some think it takes to long to judge - why can't it be judge like any other pleasure classes.

Check out our web-site for photos. We went sleigh riding just this afternoon - Oh, what fun!

The Minnesota Miniature Horse Club's AMHR show July 3-4 in Winona, MN, is offering hitch classes. (There is a concurrent ASPC show, and an AMHA show July 5.)
For more information about hitch classes at the MMHC show, contact show manager Jeanne Bragagnini at 269-979-3392 or e-mail her at [email protected]
We appreciate the invitation but - just to the Minnisota state line it's 600 miles from our home in SOUTHERN Illinois.

Thanks!

I have been emailing Cathy at AMHR about this very subject. It doesn't seem fair hitch drivers have to pay 2 - 8 Xs as much to qualify. Right now, that is the rule.

Have you thought about submitting a rule change for the convention this year ?

How about for teams of 4, 6 or 8 only two of the horses have to qualify ?

There can't be that many people showing 4 and up out there.

If you'll do that, I'll help you lobby for support at convention.

Vickie
These are the type of suggestions we are looking for. We had never thought of that before - qualifying one team would qualify a multiple hitch for the Nationals.

Many show will have a class for 2-horse but no others.

Thanks!

There will be at least two shows in Iowa that have Single, Double, and 4 up Draft hitches. The first one is the All American Miniature Horse Club Show. This will be in Cedar Rapids, Iowa on June 20th and 21st. Check out the All American Miniature Horse Club website for more information, the class list is waiting for approval by AMHR. This is on the Eastern side of Iowa.

Then on July 18th and 19th the Iowa Miniature Horse Club is putting on a show in Des Moines, Iowa. We have seen a proposed class list for this show, but it too is waiting for approval from AMHR.

These two clubs have taken notice of the demand for draft hitch classes in the Upper Midwest and feel that these classes are another venue for promoting uses for the Miniature Horse. And personally these classes are enjoyed by everyone, from the first time spectator to the seasoned horse person.

The Oklahoma "R" Shows have hitch classes. Jan Tobey shows in them all the time and she has worked really hard to get them added. They are usually first thing in morning and she shows pairs on one day and the hitch the next.

Are those just draft or do they do fine harness also. AMHR seems to only have one fine harness multi hitch class and the thought of qualifying 4 horses for 1 class is not desirable.

Al, I know she does draft with the pair and I believe fine harness with the 4 boys. I believe the class is Saturday morning Draft 2 or more and Sunday is Fine harness 2 or more, but since I don't do hitch class don't hold my feet to the fire if I'm wrong.

I have wondered why shows have their performance classes so early in the day? So many times, spectators arrive about 10 o'clock, hoping to see something interesting with miniatures, and there is nothing left but halter classes--not exactly exciting for spectators. Why not time those performance/action classes when there is more chance of public viewing? It shows the horse can do more than stand there and look handsome.

Hi Deb and Hal

I am one of your number one fans. I watched you for two years at Nationals and dang you guys work you butts off to get your hitches ready. You made me tired I am also a show manager and if someone wants us to ad a class we are more than happy to do it. I can't imagine a show manager not adding them for you.

You guys are awesome and I was going though old videos and came across this one of you guys.

[SIZE=14pt]Kelsie riding in coach[/SIZE]

Thank you for all your hard work.

Tammi

I love the hitch classes, but I would never have one simply because I cannot afford to have the equipment necessary for one or two classes.

As a former show manager I was requested to put in the hitch classes, and one or nobody would show. Even if a farm said they would attend, it wouldn't take much for them to be a no show. So I dropped the classes. Most shows make their money on the class entries. The stall fees usually take care of grounds rental and some of the judges cost. The profit is on entries. So while it's very cool to have a 6 horse hitch at the show, the show isn't making much profit, if any, off their class. A manager has to have ribbons 1 - 6 for every class (or almost every class) "just in case". The average cost of ribbons are $3-$5, so it's $18 to $30 to hold the class. So it was unreasonable to keep it in given the number of mandatory classes a show has to have.

IMO while hitches are amazing and an incredible amount of effort and energy, their showcase are parades and exhibitions, not in the show ring.

IMO while hitches are amazing and an incredible amount of effort and energy, their showcase are parades and exhibitions, not in the show ring.

I beg to differ. I drive a single horse and know how much work, practice and the effort and expense I put into that...I can't imagine doing 4 or 6. Think of the training it involves for both the horses and the handlers. Can you handle reins for 4-6 horses? Even though I think they look fantastic in parades, I think they should get more for their effort than a polite applause as they go down a parade route. I do believe they have a right to show at local shows and Nationals. Maybe some day I will venture in that direction, but for now I really enjoy watching them.

I love the hitch classes, but I would never have one simply because I cannot afford to have the equipment necessary for one or two classes.
As a former show manager I was requested to put in the hitch classes, and one or nobody would show. Even if a farm said they would attend, it wouldn't take much for them to be a no show. So I dropped the classes. Most shows make their money on the class entries. The stall fees usually take care of grounds rental and some of the judges cost. The profit is on entries. So while it's very cool to have a 6 horse hitch at the show, the show isn't making much profit, if any, off their class. A manager has to have ribbons 1 - 6 for every class (or almost every class) "just in case". The average cost of ribbons are $3-$5, so it's $18 to $30 to hold the class. So it was unreasonable to keep it in given the number of mandatory classes a show has to have.

we understand what you are saying but that puts us back to our original question, is there any other way we can qualify for nationals except showing in costume or some other class which has nothing to do with hitches? Not trying to be contrary, just don't have any answers. Hal

Hi Deb and Hal
I am one of your number one fans. I watched you for two years at Nationals and dang you guys work you butts off to get your hitches ready. You made me tired I am also a show manager and if someone wants us to ad a class we are more than happy to do it. I can't imagine a show manager not adding them for you.

You guys are awesome and I was going though old videos and came across this one of you guys.

[SIZE=14pt]Kelsie riding in coach[/SIZE]

Thank you for all your hard work.

Tammi
Great to hear from you! Tell Kelsie we are still available for her wedding!. Yes, we do get tired but it is a very good tired. We do that we love and love what we do!

Good hitch horses are not made by showing them in "alternative" classes. That's why we started this topic. As a matter of fact - with the snow we have had here in Southern Illinois -we have been sleigh riding alot. We don't know who enjoys it most - us or the horses!

Keep in touch.

Latest posts

Back