Show help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RKG miniatures

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how to get a white tail white? I am getting frustrated.

Sue

I have the best luck using a 'blue' shampoo. I use a generic version that I buy at a beauty supply shop. You can also use a product like Quic Silver for horses, but the human shampoo is less expensive.

If it's a mare that pees on her tail, it's very difficult to remove those stains. The urine actually burns the hair and it will have to grow out in order to be white again. However, a blue shampoo along with a conditioner will help tremendously.

I have not tried this myself but a friend told me for her big horses she uses tide with bleach dips the tail as high as she can in a bucket so it is all good and soaked and lets it sit for about 5 minutes then rinses and does again if needed followed by a good conditioning

I use the Resolve carpet cleaner for cat urine stains. I wet the tail well, pour on and work in the carpet cleaner. Then I put the tail in an AI glove, or long plastic bag and let it set for 5 minutes or more. The bag keeps the product on the tail. Then rinse and condition well.

On a mare, I braid the tail and put in in a sock so she can't pee on it between shows. Then I use a shampoo with bluing - or even Dawn dish soap.

I use Rit clothing dye (you can get it at Walmart) I use dark blue color, only apply very little(about 2 tbsp) to a bucket of water mix well and let it sit for about five minutes. Wash your horses tail with regular soap and rinse, then dip the tail into the bucket with the Rit and rinse. This will turn your horses tail blue if you let it sit too long so be careful. I usually dip to apply and rinse a few times and then condition it. I would suggest just doing a small area first so you can see how many seconds to leave it on.

We wash the mane/tail thoroughly with vetroline shampoo, then use a blueing shampoo, rinse thoroughly. Then we spray a product called WOW! Whitner from Healing Tree, be generous, really soak the mane tail with it. The mane/tail will still look yellow, but as it dries it turns white. If there is still any yellow after it dries we spray more wow on till the tail dries to all white.

Any shampoo detergent with blueing wiil work. Vivid laundry detergent works well, but a small capfull or two of laundry blueing in a 5 gallon bucket used as a final rinse will work too.

Latest posts

Back