Show halters...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcody

Reaction score
ask your opinion on what would work well with my mares? The halter I have on them now is just for playing, training. How would you fit another halter, and what color/style would you think would look nice?

First is this girl, I may try to show her in October:

Muckgrass.jpg

Muck.jpg

And if I like it well enough, may show this girl in the spring:

Suzqhead.jpg

SuZQface.jpg

Also, does anyone show inwestern style halters?

Thanks

fioma4.jpg

CinderH1.jpg

CinderH3.jpg

CinderH4.jpg

I have more pictures of different halters, butI cannot seem to find them right now... Hope that helps!!!
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I like those shown, they're are some cable ones on EBay but to me they don't loook very strong, I guess I think you get what oyu pay for..

IN our local shows, mostly open 4-H most show in show halter for halter and showmanship, then switch to western (most have some silver) for obstacle, trail etc..

I am as we speak looking despartly for a western show halter to fit Buddy my big headed guy..I buy big horse "foal"size web halters for him, usually Hamilitons. SOmetimes I have to add a hole but otherwishe they fit him well.

I bought one leather western halter for him with silver in the "mini' size and it was so too small that I put it on my yearling filly!

Like I said his head is long over the poll.

Maxine

I love the plain halters, all mine are just like your "play" ones, but finer. I had my saddler make them up and they cost $40.00 each, I think. The first couple he made were a bit heavy but we kept going and he got it right!! I do not like chains at all the thin ones break and the heavy ones look clumsy, so I just use a nice flat strap and it works fine.

i THINK YOUR HALTER IS TOO BIG FOR THE MARE.. MAYBE TRY SOME THING THINER/ SMALLER

MY FILLY & STALLION BOTH SHOW ARAB (NOT IN SHOWMAN SHIP THOUGH) bUT MY GELDING HAYS A HUGE HEAD & ONLY CAN WEAR A WESTERN.. I LIKE YOUR GIRLS WITH A ARAB TYPE ONE
yes.gif

GOOD LUCK!

PS. SORRY FOR CAPS.. MY PC IS BEING REALLY WEIRD.. I CAN'T HELP IT
ohmy.gif
unsure.gif
sad.gif

Thanks everyone. I will be doing some shopping soon! AMHA Nationals are in my backyard just about, so I can at least see what I like, even if I can not afford one there.

Rabbitsfizz, do yo mean a strap like a chin strap from a bit with a loop to attach the lead?

Thanks

f369a7e4.jpg
[SIZE=14pt]I dont know if you can see this but it has closed rings on the sides, it has black pattened noseband with a red or maroon center and gold edges. I like this for the horses with the white down their faces. Breaks up the white so the heads dont look so long.[/SIZE]

For showmanship and obstacle I use this western one.

f971329b.jpg

Lyn

lyn, I really like that delicate western halter -- too often the silver on western halters overwhelm minis. Who made yours, and if I can ask, how much was it? We're going to need an elegant halter like that for performance

For halter classes, I'm with Jane as to plan but elegant leather show halters. Mingus' is simply leather, no ornamentation.

mingusatBoring05.jpg

(I'll have new photos later today or tomorrow from the fair...)

I'm open to something a bit dressier, or dressing this one up but I want it classy, and most show halters to me are cheap and gaudy. I'm considering hiring a jewelry artisan to to create something tasteful using semi-precious stones, possibly amber or a transparent blue.

I'm also interested in buying a Shetland style show halter, or perhaps adding just a browband to his existing halter...

...now I need to start looking for Pastorius' perfect look, too...as a dark silver dapple, he needs totally different colors...

I have others but thought I would post my favorite one.

Express%2007032005.jpg

Here is a close up head shot with a beaded show halter.

fadff36a.jpg

Lynn, I love your halter, where did you get it from?

Also, for those that have the beaded ones, are they hard to keep clean and do the beads ever bother your horses?

Thanks all for sharing your photos, would love to see more!

This is Ozzy's show halter, but I forgot to run the strap through the keeper before the picture. It doesn't normally stick up like that on his poll. I want to get some conchos for it, but I really like it. It has a black patent noseband, with gold piping.

June2005WichitaFallsTXheadcropped.jpg

Latest posts

Back