Show Halter Colors

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

On a Black Overo with one light blue eye, and one dark blue eye and an almost bald face.

• Turquiose

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Red

• Royal Blue

• Purple

• Any other(please state)

• Silver Hardware

• Gold Hardware

• Total voters

Sarah's Little Blessings

Reaction score
Ok, this may have been done by somebody else, not sure if it was I am sorry, and should have jotted the answers down
default_wacko.png
. Anyways just thought I'd ask everyone's choices in colors for halters for my show string of 09', yeah it early but while I got the money to buy a couple good ones thought I'd go ahead.

So please vote, and lets see who wins!

For all the others, please state them :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a very nice Black show halter with gold hardware. I have a Silver Bay, a Silver Black, a Black Bay and a Brown Snow Cap Appy. It goes with all of them.

If you can get the sizing right, I think halters like below, one with silver piping, and one with gold piping, would cover a lot of bases when it comes to horse colors
default_smile.png
Also, a patent burgundy noseband goes very nice with a lot of different colors
default_yes.gif

2007%20VMHC%20Summer%20Classic%20--%20157%20Bacardi%20again.jpg

2007%20VMHC%20Summer%20Classic%20--%20134%20Halter%20Bacardi.jpg

2007%20VMHC%20Summer%20Classic%20--%20177%20DUNIT.jpg

LOU-VICTOR.jpg

IF your on a budget and can't afford to own several show halters, get the basics. Black / Gold and Black / Silver

On a bay I like Black/Burgandy/Gold

On a black Black/Gold

On a silver bay Black/Silver

On a chestnut Gold or Black/Gold

On a buckskin depending on shade Gold or Black/Gold

Gold .. looks NICE on a buckskin and a chestnut.

caragold.jpg

If you can only get one I would get one with both silver and gold on it.

ON Black I use either silver or purple.

ON bay I use Gold.

ON my black appy I use burgandy.

I agree- Black/gold and Black/Silver. If you can only get one then a silver/gold mix.

Peggy

I bought a blue beaded and silver trim halter from ebay, and it looks great on all of my horses ( bay roan appy, black,dapple grey, and palomino). It was cheap too, and works great.

We have either black and silver or black and gold on just about everyone here. It's very simple, yet elegant looking. I've seen alot of the metallic colored nosebands lately, and I find with those, you notice the noseband first and it takes away from the face because it's so bright colored. However, I have seen some horses that they look great on. I have always found simple and elegant to work well. the black/silver and black/gold go with every color.

~Jen~

We have one gold and black and one gold and burgundy. They are two different sizes. I have used both on black, bay, silver dapple, silver bay, dark bay and several pintos. They all looked good in either one. I cannot afford to get seperate ones for each, so had to have something that would work for all.

Angie

I voted other for all the questions!

I think that black patent with silver piping looks the best on the most different horse colors. For those that don't look as good in black patent w/silver, I've found that either a silver bar noseband or a silver/gold bar noseband suits them perfectly.

I have 2 silver/gold halter, 1 silver halter and two black patent w/silver and one teal w/silver piping. The teal looks good on a few of my horses but doesn't at all suit the others. But, with the other halters I have I can find one that suits every horse on the place, and I do have a good variety of colors.

So many people say that burgundy looks good on all colors of horses, but I personally don't like it on any color of horse
default_wink.png
The other colors I find tend to be like my teal halter--they look good on certain horses, but on the majority they just don't suit.

If you can buy only 1, I would suggest the black patent w/silver piping.

Hey thanks everyone!!! So everyone basically agree's on if I can get one black and silver, and one in the black and gold I should be set up?

I am blessed that All of the noses turned out to be within like less then 1/4" from each other, so at least they can wear the same sizes.
default_wink.png

Thanks for your input I'm off to order them :)

All the halters that have been shown as an example look great on most horses. Now we ran into trouble at nationals since we have a couple of fillys with petite dishy heads. We actually ended up with 3/8 gold nose band. Everything else was just too much. I totally understand the budget thing, but as we have found out it doesn't always work to share. It all depends on how close your classes are to each other and color of horses. My opinion for your horses I would go gold if you are only getting one, but that is just me. If you are going for two, everyone else is right do one silver and one gold. When you get into the colors you limit yourself. We ended up splurging and buying 3 new showtime halters at nationals this year and I love everyone of them.

We usually stick to the black/silver, black/gold in different sizes since we switch our horses around from year to year and the young ones all grow from year to year. Much more cost effective doing it this way.

Sheryl, I usually do not like the wild colored nose bands and the gold halters, but I have to tell you your horse looks great with the gold halter, I really like that.
default_yes.gif

Thank you Terri!

I don't have a picture of that halter on Toy (chestnut). I know Liz (Nootka) had the same halter on Pyro last year. I'll have to send her a pm incase she doesn't/hasn't read this thread and see if she'll post a pic of Pyro wearing the halter.

I really, really does look nice on chestnuts.

We have either black and silver or black and gold on just about everyone here. It's very simple, yet elegant looking. I've seen alot of the metallic colored nosebands lately, and I find with those, you notice the noseband first and it takes away from the face because it's so bright colored. However, I have seen some horses that they look great on. I have always found simple and elegant to work well. the black/silver and black/gold go with every color. ~Jen~
I absolutely agree with this.

I just hope the mini world never follows the race world with its trend toward WHITE bridles - YECH!!! Who would want to make a proud Thoroughbred look like Pat Boone?

I stick to the basics Black/Burgandy (Burgandy looks nice on a palomino) and Silver/Gold piping...i try to avoid the bright blue and purple and pink nosebands...

I don't have a picture of that halter on Toy (chestnut). I know Liz (Nootka) had the same halter on Pyro last year. I'll have to send her a pm incase she doesn't/hasn't read this thread and see if she'll post a pic of Pyro wearing the halter.I really, really does look nice on chestnuts.
I would like to see a picture of a chestnut with the gold, because I just do not see it working like it did with yours? Our mare is a dark chestnut and maybe it depends on the color of the chestnut, maybe bright and light chestnuts? I don't think the dark ones would look as good with the gold halter, I might be proven wrong
default_laugh.png

pyroh4mo.jpg

pyrolweb.jpg

pyrolweb2.jpg

Here it is on Pyro's older brother, a pale palomino:

cometcp1.jpg

I have some head shots of Comet (the palo) with the halter, but this halter has actually been more useful than I thought it would be. It is brown patent with gold and bronze rolled noseband and gold hardware. The lead is also brown patent.

Liz

That gold color does go good with Chestnuts. It must go pretty good with everyone. I may just get a gold in every size.

Only thing I'm concerned about would you think a gold would look ok on Elvis? My bl/white overo with an almost bald face? To me I don't see that working?

Yes, the halter does look good on the little chestnut also (especially with that cute little face ) but I was right, it is on a bright chestnut. Nice.

Only thing I'm concerned about would you think a gold would look ok on Elvis? My bl/white overo with an almost bald face? To me I don't see that working?
Me either, I would put a black/silver combo on a black pinto.

Latest posts

Back