Show Grooming Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jess P

Reaction score
I have noticed this at every show this year. My usual schedule the day before a show is bathe, show sheen, blanket and put into stall, take out an hour or so later when dry, laser sheen, hoof polish, and any extra trimming or clipping. I then put the blanket back on and in the morning I get to the show and bring my horse out to get ready. My gelding is fine with this, but my mare goes insane because she is so itchy. I brought her to my 4-H county and had her sheet, hoodie, and leg protectors on and brought her to her stall for the weekend. She went insane trying to itch everything off. She was rubbing her whole body against the walls, and rolling.

Is there anything I should do to make her more comfortable? She tends to want to itch against me in the ring (Which I don't let her) which keeps her from standing still. Could she be allergic to the show sheen or laser sheen? I see no bumps, I clean out her udder area the night before and all bug bites and put a protectant cream on it. Any ideas?

Thank you

biggrin.gif
I have found some of my horses to be "itchy" no matter what I do. If its really hot out they seem to be itchier. Once my horses are done showing in hand all blankets come off. Becky and Shadow seem to think I am their personal scratching post. Becky used to be so bad she rubbed off half her tail one year. You can try dandruff shampoo before you use the horse shampoo (that has helped on my darker horses). You can also try Listerene and baby oil that may help also. Linda B
wink.gif

Sounds like you need to go through the process of elimination. It could be her blankets (have you washed them?), the laser sheen, or anything. Or, it could just be her. We have a mare right now that is just itchy all summer long, but is fine during the winter.

Thanks Linda,

Is head and shoulder's okay for the dandruff shampoo? Or should I skip stealing it from my brother and go with some stuff bought from stateline when I go tomorrow? Also, listerine meaning the mouthwash? Minty or citrus?
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

She loves rubbing her tail because she has a bad habit of relieving herself against the wall. We have to condition and wash it all the time, as well as wrap it.

I will wash the blankets tonight, we have done it a couple times already this summer. It can't just be the laser sheen because we used the cowboy magic sprays on her and she was itchy with those too. I think she just doesn't like looking pretty. Silly mare.

Hey Jessica, my boys do the SAME thing.

They are not actually itchy, they just want those clothes off! You should have seen Dealer when I first brought him home. He was body clipped from being shown at Stock Show-this was January, and NO I did NOT clip him myself.

Anyways, he wouldnt stop rubbing, so I took of ALL his clothes for about 10 min. He was SO cold its not even funny. He followed me around till I put them back on. I dont have a problem with him doing that anymore..
biggrin.gif

Peanut on the other hand, just loves to rub. He has completly SHREDDED his hood that I bought him. Such a shame too. It was a really pretty turquoise with silver stars. Oh well. I should have guessed when he ripped it the SAME day I got it!
wub.gif

Head and Shoulders works GREAT, there is a new "extra-strength" version in a dark blue bottle, I highly recommend it. I have to use it on poor skin-condition Danny every couple of weeks per vet instructions, and it really makes the boy glow!

smile.gif
I generally use any dandruff shampoo I can get my hands on (hubbys). Just regular Listerene mixed with baby oil in a spray bottle for the mane and tail may help. I do know the supplex sheets dont seem quite as itchy on them either. Linda B

Mine get that way to my mare more then the others. I just quit putting hoods on her (unless at nationals but even then try to bathe her that morning) she is alot more tolerent with just the sheet on

i always use ONLY baby shampoo

Latest posts

Back