Show Fitting and Diet

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TripleDstables

Reaction score
I'm sure there are other topics out there for this... but it's hard to get info from them when they aren't personalized.

I have a 14 year old stallion who I am going to be getting back in show shape for halter only. I need a neck sweat for him, and I will be lunging him daily. But, I have no idea how to approach his diet. We have him on Dumor complete 14% senior feed (2 quarts) and Dumor Joint supplement. Once a day with 2 books of hay a day also. (Alfalfa/timothy one in morning one at night.) I can't switch hay really, since we have to buy for the big horses as well.

Also I have a 4 year old mare that I want to get back into shape for halter and possibly some hunter/jumper classes. She is on the same diet as the stallion above. She seems to have a bit of a hay belly where he doesn't, so I think I'll cut her down to 1/2 a book of hay per feeding.

Also they are both being fed SandClear right now, but I don't think that effects their diet much. Any tips on how to work these guys? Any diet changes you think should be made? I just really want some opinions. Thanks in advance! -Sara

Best thing you can do is start with a correct (and healthy) horse that is going to condition out well. You can condition a horse with a short neck, straight shoulder, low neck set in, weak hind end and over at the knee's with a blocky head all day long but if you start with a horse that is correct on type and conformation then that will make your work much easier (and worthwhile...)

Feeding program is so important..a ballanced diet with all the minerals and vitamins is so important, as well as enough fat and protein and those other amino acids to maintain and develop muscle and a nice coat. I feed Strategy which is a 14% pellet with 6% (may be 7%) fat, then i feed soaked beet pulp (to fill out the topline, croup and overall) and add in loose minerals, probios and add in some biotin ontop. I feed 3x a day (8am - 12noon - 5pm). I also feed orchard gass alfalfa mix hay 2x a day. They go in the roundpen about 4-5x a week and i will add weighted bell boots or chain action boots at that time. Some wear sweats ... some don't. I've been blessed so far with horses with naturally nice necks
default_yes.gif

Most leg issues you can fix fairly easy with a good farrier (pull hocks out ext, stand horses up right, bring toes straight ext ext). Then of course, worming is important.

The thing that took me a year or two to relize was that the idea is not to keep the horse "skinny"..you want the horse in condition which is not skinny (i guess i should not really say skinny, but just not fat). Kind of like with humans, a super thin person with no muscle tone is not healthy "condition"...nor is a super obese person...however the muscular in shape person there in the middle is in "condition".

I also feed strategy. And round pen my 5x a week. For you stallion building muscle and your mare with the little belly you may want to consider body builder. Nothing builds muscle and fills out a horse better.

Good Luck to you and your horses.

Thank you very much. I want to talk to my parents about adding a biotin supplement as well for both of them.

I think the beet pulp would be good on my stud as sometimes when I work him his topline drops weight too much.

I never have my horses too thin, if anything they are a little too chunky.
default_wink.png

there are about a million different ways to feed a show horse and condition one. For sure the biggest part of a show horse is being properly fed so they shine from the inside out.

Please though start all feed and excercise changes SLOWLY especially on the 14 year old. I really dont recommend any horse be worked every single day. Thats just not healthy weather your a horse or a human. You have to give the body time to rest and rebuild.

Its very hard for anyone to really advise without seeing pictures of your horses. I have just seen way too many people post that their horses are fat when actually they are thin.

Im not a big person for mixing and adding tons of supplements. If you pick a good feed and have quality hay thats really all you should need. Now having said that I do give our show horses body builder for about a month leading up to show season to get the bloom on them.

Oh I wouldn't work them very long. Maybe every other day then? I like to work each of my horses for about 15 minutes a day each. I don't beat 'em to the ground. ;)

Here are pictures of both the stud and the mare last year when they were shedding out and they were less than glamorous. Keep in mind, they aren't world champions and their conformation isn't the best... but they're my little ones. (They are about the same weight right now, maybe a tad more.)

saraspics029.jpg

CopyofDSC01984.jpg

saraspics178.jpg

saraspics070-1.jpg

Her belly had a lot of hair on it! You can see by her armpit where her stomache line actually is though. lol

They are so cute!!!

I'm no expert, but I bet with a a little more exercise, consistently, they'll look just the way you want. I walk mine 2 to 3 miles a couple times a week, and that's not really enough. Every other day would probably do it.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back