Show Fitting a Broodmare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wolf Ranch

Reaction score
I'm interested in knowing how those of you who show seasoned broodmares how you get them back into shape after foaling? I have a 13 year old mare who was shown before she was bred several years ago, but has been a broodmare for a long while now, and I am interested in showing her again.

In order to get her belly nicely tucked up should I invest in a belly sweat or will mother nature take its course with appropriate exercise and feed?

Also is there anything in particular that I should watch for in fitting her as a warning sign that we are progressing too fast? She is not obese and is pretty fit but you can definitely tell she's been a momma for a while.

Thanks all in advance!

Like people, it depends on their conformation and how long the muscles and skin have been stretched.

Watching her topline will be most indicative of progress. I don't put a lot of stock in sweats... Diet and exercise.

I totally agree with Disney Horse: diet and exercise.

For a brood mare (or any unfit horse really) the biggest things are going to be building up the muscles in her top line and engaging her hindquarters. Lunging and ground driving over trot poles, small cavalettis and hills if you have any close by, will help with building up her hind end and tightening up her belly. Remember if you're longlining/ ground driving her you'll want to not attach the check rein for now (until she is working correctly and has some muscle built up). Go slow at first, but remember interval training is more time-effective than long, slow distance training.

Good luck!

I am going to keep an eye on this thread. I won't be showing my mare, but I will be fitting her up for some driving this summer. She was a driving horse and was shown in her younger years. She has been a broodie for quite a few years now. She turned 17 this year. She's in great shape right now and it bred. After she has her foal, it's back to work!!

I think genetics has a lot to do with it. Here is our 13 year old broodmare Sox (Vermilyea Farms Exotic Exposure) after NINE pregnancies at her first show (a small Open Show) with a 4-Her. Nothing special was done, as the 4-Hers worked their project animals but only the days they were there. No sweats anywhere. Oh, and she won halter and was high point mini. At a later show, she was high point and one of her sons was reserve high point, shown by the same person (former 4-Her!).

2013-07-21-goshen-eve-sox-hunter-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with the genetic component. I also think it has a lot to do with how in shape the mare is kept during her breeding years. A mare who isnt allowed to get real fat and who has access to turnout or is lightly trotted in a pen or lunged will probably bounce back better than a big bessie broodmare who has really stretched, sunken and lost tone. You may also take into consideration your plans for her later in life. It is an often debated topic, but many people say that when breeding aged mares, it is better to breed them a few times in a row rather than take time off in between foals. I have gotten mixed opinions from fellow breeders and different veterinarians but it may be something to keep in mind if you wish to keep breeding her. Have fun showing.

My mares all look broody, even if they haven't had a foal, since they have just been horses the last few years, but my rhotens little dandy daughter who had two foals doesn't look it at all. I second, third, and fourth genetics. Also, age, foal size, and how many pregnancies make a difference. Exercise, and lots of various types will probably help fit her for show. Lunging with a bitting rig, even jumping and free running are all good varieties.

Latest posts

Back