Show/Clipping Questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello! This is my first time showing my mini, we are just starting out with 4h shows and then will work our way up with more experience. We are entering a halter class, a jump class, a showmanship, and trail. I've got a cable halter, but I was wondering if I could use it for every class, or if I need a regular halter for some (jumping, trail?) I would prefer to use the cable halter for everything, but I am not sure if there are certain rules. I see videos of both being used.

Another question is, about how long on average does it take for a minis coat to grow in to the point of being too fuzzy to show? I know every minis coat is different. I clipped my mini a few days ago, and we have about 2 and a half weeks until the show. The average temp during the day is 40 degrees and she is blanketed now. Do you think I will have to clip her again? Do you think if I keep her warm under the blanket, her hair won't grow back so fast?

Another question, my mini is extremely sensitive to her legs being touched. We tried clipping her legs an got about to her knees on all les. Things started getting ugly, so we stopped. Is there another alturnitive to having a clipped look without using clippers? I think it is the buzzing and vibration of the clippers she doesn't like. I am able to use scissors to trim feathers. Anyone ever try using cotton balls in the ears to block some sound? Anything else I can try without making my mare completely hate me?

Thanks, any feedback would be great! Or any tips for first show! Other than the patchy legs, I think we are ready!

I would plan to use a regular halter (leather if you have it, clean nylon if you don't) for the performance classes. As for clipping the legs, yes, you can try cotton in the ears (be careful its big enough not to loose it in there) or use the horse ear plugs. I don't know if that will help much, the vibration on the legs really seems to bother some. My go to thing for horses who hate to have their legs done is go slow, don't worry if you can only get one leg or part of one leg done before you take a break but keep at it. If she is stressing, stop for a bit, take her for a short walk or comb her mane or whatever will relax you both, then try again. Give the horse a distraction (a hay net is my best friend when I'm clipping) and when all else fails you can use a twitch (I use a clip from the hardware store - a spring clamp for holding wood together when its being glued) but you might want to try to find someone more experienced to help if things are so bad you will need a twitch.

I would also suggest using a regular halter for showmanship, trail and jumping. For showmanship most people use a chain on the lead that goes through the bottom ring on the left side of the halter, UNDER the chin, through the lower ring on the right, then through the upper ring on the right, and is doubled back to a good length and clipped to the chain or the lower ring. Do not do this at the show unless you practice first because many horses will rear from the pressure under the chin. But once they are used to it, you will likely find you have much better control over their movement. Think of it as a way to fine tune your commands and make sure that you never jerk on it or tie your mini this way.

For the clipping, I would concentrate now on getting the legs done and not worry about the body, as this time of year it probably won't grow back much especially with the blanket. Later in the season when they are getting winter coats, you may need to clip more often. I highly recommend a twitch, which is used to release endorphins and relax the horse, NOT to punish him or let him think about something else. You should not leave one on more than 15 minutes at a time and when removing it, rub the nose to stimulate circulation. Also, once you put it on, give it at least a few seconds to work and watch the horse relax before you start to do anything. I made one by putting a soft cotton rope through the opening in the end of a brush handle and tying a knot to make a loop 4-5" in diameter. Put it over the nose and twist until it is tight and won't come off. I used it last week so we could sedate our colt for his gelding procedure. I never count on the vet to have a mini size twitch and they seem to always appreciate having one available!

Good luck at the show, and mostly just have fun!!!

Thank you both! I wanted to try to avoid using a twitch but I don't think there is any other option. I will see what I have that I can use to rig up a twitch. And thanks for the suggestion on the use of a regular halter in performance classes!

Lots of patience! Go slow and take breaks like suggested. It's most likely the vibration plus their lower legs seem to be very sensitive (hair right over the bone mostly). Also get them after they've eaten. A full belly can go a long way to calm a horse. I like to do mine in the afternoon after they've eaten and (after a few undesireable clippings) they will get over the sensitivity and TRUST you. Mine will actually fall asleep in the cross ties during part of the clipping and I had to actually hobble one at first to do the legs. (I clip alone and no one was available to hold a twitch).

That trust is the biggest part of letting you do anything to them.

Latest posts

Back