Show Carts...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should take a look at the Houghton natural wood show carts. Yes, they are still a "Show cart", but the one I was THRILLED to bring home from Nationals has a wider seat and is PERFECTLY balanced! I hauled Dana down to the Houghton booth and said "pick out a new cart". She thought I was kidding...and then almost did the naked dance of joy~LOL We (She
yes.gif
) decided on the natural wood cart. She already has 3 closed wheel show carts and a roadster cart, so we wanted a more "country" cart.

Jane, I HAVE ordered a Bennington, and no, I don't expect to be disappointed...I have viewed it from every angle in quite a number of photos, and am well aware of the height of the seat. One of the things I haven't liked about virtully ALL of the carts I have driven,put to minis, is that the driver generally sits so LOW; Linda Fairbanks, a respected American ADS judge, instructor, and clinician, is on record as stating that one should sit at about the height of the horse's back-and though I do think it may take a bit of getting used to at first, I am looking forward to that higher position! (I have "tried out"the feel of it, by briefly sitting on the back rest of my easy entry, actually....) The new Bennington does have a 'dash' of sorts, which I don't have in my Frontier(which I have driven the most, as it is my 'everyday', and training, vehicle);I did have a dash in the Meadowbrook, and do have in my Pequea road cart-the Pequea, BTW, sits higher, and is very comfortable. I can certainly understand that people may have their personal preferences-but I look forward to not having to artificially hold my forearms up to keep the reins off of the horse's rump! I wanted this cart to put to horses from 32" up to my full 38"(last hair, not withers measurements) mare; ordered the smaller size, as I felt I did not want to have the cart be on the "low" end of a size made for (ponies)up to 2 hands taller.

I do agree that a Governess cart,though they are "cute", especially in wicker, would NOT be suitable to the uses Kim wants(can't imagine it being very comfy to drive while seated sideways, either....!) One of the biggest "issues" with vehicles for minis is INDEED the overall weight of the vehicle-and it is going to be a 'bigger' issue if people want to drive the under 30" ones. A couple of North American builders are doing very light weight, sulky/sulky-type vehicles; personally, I think if you want to drive a "tiny", that is/should be, about your only choice(and with all due respect, it is my belief that there IS a lower limit on size for driving--common sense 'should' prevail, but doesn't, always, IMO.) I have driven (GENUINELY)33-34" horses since 1985; I got the bigger mare this year because I really wanted the additional power-not for the show ring, but for driving around the country, and with my local driving club. There has frequently been discussion on here of how much weight a horse can pull-I wouldn't presume to try to say, because I don't know--but again, common sense and close observation should prevail. I do think one is generally better of with the larger-end minis, for all-around driving, at least. It IS a challenge to find vehicles that REALLY 'fit', and are suitable/comfortable for, both miniature horse and driver. There are a couple of American builders whose products I like(from what I can see on the internet)-however, what they are building are NOT the 'usually-seen' show carts, but more of an all-around/marathon-type vehicle. One is so busy with orders that getting one could take virtually FOREVER(he IS building a cute, very small single seater cart that might work for a really small mini, and might even be "accepted" in the show ring-PM me if you want to know who this is);the other has acquired a rep for not getting the job done....another is just a Frontier "clone", albeit, upgraded in ride comfort. As far as I have been able to see, there is still a good deal of room for improvement in the designs/implementations of vehicles for minis-especially for the single horse. Hopefully, research and development WILL continue!

(There ARE some cute vehicles on the Kateland site-however, be prepared to wait a long time for the pics to load!!(or maybe, it's just MY computer??
rolleyes.gif
)The "ADS-Kateland" is basically a road cart; you will notice that because it has straight shafts, going "all the way back" , there will be the same, if not a "larger", issue of climbing in and out as there is with the Jeralds and others. The Pequea and Country Carriages road carts have a drop heel shaft, which makes the mount/dismount a good bit easier. A "genuine" design Meadowbrook, which has rear entry/fold-down seats, is a plus in this department-as I said, I didn't care for the low seat position of the Meadowbrook. It's all in what YOU like/ don't like, and what YOU will/won't accept- IMO, there's always SOME kind of trade-off.

Oh-and Jerald will make a nice little "obstacle cart". It has a minimal basket, is very small and light(I'd guess, around 35-40 lbs.,with the basket removed), sits right up close to the horse, can have roadster stirrups installed(though they have to be removed to put the basket on-it's an 'either/or" setup! ) However, it doesn't come with a singletree-which I see as a minus.... It is special order, and costs about as much as the 'standard' pleasure cart!

If you are looking for something different -- I highly recommend

http://www.itebtebuggys.com/

This gentleman (Mike) will custom make any 4 wheel carriage you might want -- He has VERY reasonable prices and excellent quality.

He had several at the AMHR Nationals - and they received rave reviews!

He has recently added a wagonette to his line -- at my request -- It is a 3 seater --- one bench for driver and a passenger and two inward facing seats behind. Less than 250 pounds total and can be pulled easily by a single mini or a pair. He can make them with rubber wheels or steel or wooden.

We are ordering one for use in AMHR and ADS shows. We will get it made for both single and double -- can't wait to have it in person.

Very elegant and again, quite well made.

For a 2 wheel cart - I also own one made by Pequea Carriages, built by John Stoltzfus. This was also custom made -- its an Easy Entry with wooden shafts -- and a slightly rounded basket (not a square one) -- wooden basket, wooden seat backs -- has a spares box -- I love it - I have both rubber and wooden wheels for it. We have received many compliments wherever we have taken it -- IMO it is good for Country Pleasure classes as well as for ADS. It rides well and is nicely balanced!!!

Here is a link to our new website showing me driving my gelding Platinum in our first CDE --

http://foxhollerfarm.com/icde.html

and one photo from that page:

cones001.jpg

JJay

Last edited by a moderator:
Shari said:
Margo you are getting a Bennington!! Lucky you !! I have been drooling over a couple of models for a few years.My Country Road cart allows me to sit higher up, and I love it!!

Not that this one is for a mini, but I like the idea for my Fjord mare... what

s think??

http://www.bennington.co.uk/carriages/Imag...g-side-shot.gif

http://www.bennington.co.uk/carriages/pleasure.htm

478005[/snapback]

I've only done a bit of real OFF road driving (big holes, hills, ditches & water crossings supreme), but this fun bug looks like it would buck you right out if you hit a substantial rock or hole. The two wheel carts seem to roll with the puches a bit more IMO. I do like the look of their marathon type carts a LOT!

Bluerocket said:
If you are looking for something different --  I highly recommend http://www.itebtebuggys.com/

This gentleman (Mike) will custom make any 4 wheel carriage you might want -- He has VERY reasonable prices and excellent quality.

He had several at the AMHR Nationals - and they received rave reviews!

He has recently added a wagonette to his line -- at my request -- It is a 3 seater --- one bench for driver and a passenger and two inward facing seats behind. Less than 250 pounds total and can be pulled easily by a single mini or a pair. He can make them with rubber wheels or steel or wooden.

We are ordering one  for use in AMHR and ADS shows. We will get it made for both single and double -- can't wait to have it in person.

Very elegant and again, quite well made.

For a 2 wheel cart - I also own one made by Pequea Carriages, built by John Stoltzfus. This was also custom made -- its an Easy Entry with wooden shafts -- and a slightly rounded basket (not a square one) -- wooden basket, wooden seat backs -- has a spares box -- I love it - I have both rubber and wooden wheels for it. We have received many compliments wherever we have taken it --  IMO it is good for Country Pleasure classes as well as for ADS.  It rides well and is nicely balanced!!!

Here is a link to a photo of my husband driving our gelding -- in winter woolies -- with cart --- big photo so not including it in this post:

http://www.hometown.aol.com/foxhollerfarm0...ler_i000019.jpg

JJay

478020[/snapback]

I have a BRAND new Phaeton from these wonderful guys out in my barn right now. It's identical to this buggy. We'll use is mainly for parades & exhibits. It came with shafts and our team pole is on the way! One thing I really like is ALL metal parts are powercoated, so the whole buggy color scheme matches. It also has the leather box in the back
yes.gif

brown-phaeton.jpg

Laura said:
I've only done a bit of real OFF road driving (big holes, hills, ditches & water crossings supreme), but this fun bug looks like it would buck you right out if you hit a substantial rock or hole.  The two wheel carts seem to roll with the puches a bit more IMO.  I do like the look of their marathon type carts a LOT!
478023[/snapback]

That is what Hubby thinks too... does look interesting though.

Hubby likes this one best.. not only could we use it on the road, the trails, we can also use it to pack things around the farm, rather like a 1 horse powered Hay burning Pickup truck.
wink.gif

http://www.bennington.co.uk/carriages/Imag...ckboard-hay.gif

Margo,

I think you will have a lot of fun with your new cart. I have corresponded with the one builder that you referred to (backlogged, but actually FILLING orders, versus the OTHER company), and was told to get back to him around year-end, he hoped to be caught up. I have been wanting something that was metal with composite wheels versus wood for marathon, and had about decided that this particular manufactures pleasure cart could easily do the double-duty of dressage and marathon with the same cart, plus it is much lighter than many of its competitor's. I hope I can get on the order list! I like my show cart, but have no illusions of it doing any "off-roading." I decided to by-pass the wooden road carts, etc. since I already had a show cart, so wanted something light and sturdy to off road it in. I suspect once I get going on the ADS shows, I won't be going back to breed shows for my show driving "fixes" any longer.

This is the cart I am gettin! :bgrin :aktion033: I have a big country pleasure AMHR and its gonne be perfect, cept' mine is gonna have a straight seat...no split and it will be awesome for CDe's, which is what I wanna do! Its by Nikkis Pony Express! She has doctors buggies, everythnig, wagons all made by Amish! I havent gotten mine yet but it should be arriving any day! I cant wait!

http://www.nikkisponyexpress.com/Meadowbrook_mini.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Katie, you can get that EXACT cart (or any other at Nikki's) for a LOT less at Pequea!
ahah please dont think I am a spoild brat, but this was not bought by me, it was bought for me as a gift...but I am not spoiled :eek: I swear it was a gift because we took in the littel black mare for a lady so she bought me a cart....and whats pequea? does ith ave a site?

Katie, Pequea Carriage and Harness is an Amish manufacturer so they don't have a website. You can contact John Stoltzfus at 717-768-7016.

However you can get (here we go again
default_wacko.png
: ) the SAME carts at Silver Penny Farms for even less! LOL. Their website is http://www.ccfdriving.atfreeweb.com/. Pam is wonderful to deal with.

Not that you need to send your gift back and buy another cheaper or anything, but there's the info! :lol:

Leia

Yeah well I loke at Silver Penny, but then his cart was bought for me, and I actually got it today, so I have it all set up in my basement and I pleased as punch with it, its amazing, Amish and just beautiful, so maybe for future reference I will look that man up! Thanks!

Katie, I am so sorry...I misread your post. I thought it said you were GOING to get that cart...not that you already had it. If I had caught that I would never have put that the way I did. I was trying to save you money in purchasing a cart, not be rude!! Eeeks! It really is a beautiful cart! I have the same one but opted out of the fenders because of the added weight...now I am looking at going back and getting them. I have looked at the Nikki's stuff and all of it is exactly like (if not straight from) Pequea. Same goes for Silver Penney.

Pequea does have a flyer they will send you if you call and ask.

-Amy

Latest posts

Back